How to update Emby without losing data

Archer3

Archer3

The last time I updated Emby to v4.3.1.0, I lost all of my data and had to set up my libraries and re-tag everything. I'm currently looking to update to v4.6.4.0 but really do not lose my data again.

On my previous update, I think I followed the standard procedure:

1. Download the qpkg file. For me, it was the x86 one (emby-server-qnap_4.3.1.0_x86_64.qpkg)

2. Stop Emby Server in Qnap.

3. image.png.2c6f2ed548650ecd38c2243287b174eb.png

3. Start a manual install and point to the qpkg file

image.png.3645f06d1e1550c9f21f3551d8081531.png

4. After installation, I had lost all of my Emby data and had to setup my libraries from scratch.

Did I do something wrong during the last update that caused me to lose data?

What can I do this time so I do not lose data?

Can I somehow backup and restore my Emby libraries?

Not sure if it matters, but I do have Emby Premiere.

Happy2Play

Make sure you have a backup "Data path: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/programdata" verify this in the top section of your server log.  

No one has tested upgrading from a server version that old to current version.

23 minutes ago, Archer3 said:

Can I somehow backup and restore my Emby libraries?

Not sure if it matters, but I do have Emby Premiere.

The server configuration plugin allows configuration and user/userdata restore.  But if you do not save metadata/images with media this plugin will not backup/restore any Emby centrally stored metadata/images.

Archer3

Thanks for the response.

I don't have a line that says "Data path..." in my server log

I do have "TaskManager: Daily trigger for Configuration Backup set to fire at 8/30/21 12:10:00 AM, which is 386.55835168 minutes from now."

Could you share the steps to add the Data path?

I do have a "Server Configuration Backup" plugin installed:

image.png.c33ec6efe168a3c07870a09d8e8201ce.png

It looks like it's creating backups. Are these what I can restore from if I lose my data?

image.png.ad06a511049246dcb816687c824b2bf1.png

But if you do not save metadata/images with media this plugin will not backup/restore any Emby centrally stored metadata/images.

Could you please clarify what you mean by this? How do I make sure to save metadata/images with media?

Happy2Play
16 hours ago, Archer3 said:

But if you do not save metadata/images with media this plugin will not backup/restore any Emby centrally stored metadata/images.

Could you please clarify what you mean by this? How do I make sure to save metadata/images with media?

Do you have nfo and images next to your media?  But these are per library options.

image.png.af719c54c4d82f691c24f549701e444c.png

image.png.752e83ec57161e0f93273247dd6d6f0d.png

If you do not then your metadata is only saved in the database and images are saved to a databaseid /metadata/library folder.  And you would need to back up the entire Emby programdata folder to maintain what your current server has.  Otherwise Emby will be basically starting over for metadata and images.

16 hours ago, Archer3 said:

I don't have a line that says "Data path..." in my server log

Sorry but all embyserver logs have it.  Can you post a server log.

Archer3

Thanks that really helped.

I rebooted and found the Program data path line: Program data path: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/programdata

Seems I'm good there.

I did what you said and checked the Nfo and Save artwork boxes on each of the libraries that I want to retain (they were not checked before). Is there a process that I need to run to get this data to save, or can I kick off the upgrade straight away?

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, Archer3 said:

I did what you said and checked the Nfo and Save artwork boxes on each of the libraries that I want to retain (they were not checked before). Is there a process that I need to run to get this data to save, or can I kick off the upgrade straight away?

You would need to select Refresh metadata on the library.  There is no real way to migrate central to with media, besides Refreshing all metadata. 

That is why I said you would need to backup the  entire Program data path: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/programdata as that is the only place everything currently exists.

Archer3

I started the Refresh Metadata process on my libraries with the "Replace all metadata" option.

After this finishes, do I need to manually make a copy of /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/programdata? If so, what is the recommended restoration procedure?

Or maybe I should be using the "Server Configuration Backup" plugin to do the restorations since it seems to be making nightly backups of something?

11 hours ago, Archer3 said:

I started the Refresh Metadata process on my libraries with the "Replace all metadata" option.

After this finishes, do I need to manually make a copy of /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/programdata? If so, what is the recommended restoration procedure?

Or maybe I should be using the "Server Configuration Backup" plugin to do the restorations since it seems to be making nightly backups of something?

Hi there, have you checked out our backup guide?

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159936-backup

17 hours ago, Archer3 said:

Successfully upgraded and didn't lose data this time. Thank you for your help!

Thanks for the feedback !