No additional parts visible

Siutsch

Siutsch

Hi.

With the latest version of the Fire TV app (Beta: v2.0.40a (2021/08/24) (probably also with previous ones) I don't see any additional parts (Disc 2).

I use filename "xxx - Disc 1" and "xxx - Disc 2" etc.

In the web interface, "Additional Parts" is correctly displayed here, with the Fire TV app I only get to see the contents of the folders "behind the scenes", "shorts" and "specials" all under "Extras", Disc 2 is missing here.

Same problem with last Android TV App, here also no "Extras".

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Siutsch

File names:
Bruce Springsteen - March Madness Music Festival - Disc1.mkv
Bruce Springsteen - March Madness Music Festival - Disc2.mkv

Web View:

grafik.png.436467c56708ed39ff500fe2d025ed98.png

With the Fire TV app, you can't see anything at that point (don't know how to take a screenshot).

Edited by Siutsch

Siutsch

What do you mean?

Folder structure?

\Konzerte\SD\Bruce Springsteen - March Madness Music Festival (2014)\Bruce Springsteen - March Madness Music Festival Disc1 (2014).mkv

\Konzerte\SD\Bruce Springsteen - March Madness Music Festival (2014)\Bruce Springsteen - March Madness Music Festival Disc2 (2014).mkv

But I don't understand the question.

The whole thing works via web app, just not with Android / Fire TV app, so obviously there is the problem.

I use naming as described here:
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159102-movie-naming

Same problem here:

Hi.  The Fire app will play them but not show them in the interface.  This will get added eventually but for the best possible experience, I suggest combining them.  Or, if you really want them separate, make them separate items and use a collection.

Siutsch

Thanks.

I hope this will add in the near future.

For this time I moved the parts into the "extras" folder.

Since all files in the "movie extras" folders can be displayed correctly, however, I am surprised that this does not work with additional files in the root directory.
This should be a quick fix.

Hi.  Can you tell me why you want to keep these as separate parts and give up things like resume and proper run time and chapters, etc.?

Siutsch

Sure I can:

In my case, these are mostly concert DVDs, which also come on 2 discs in the original.
I had tried in one case to join the MKV files I created at the time with mkvtoolnix.
But the newly created file was displayed at least with VLC under Windows exactly as long as the 1st part, so that had not worked.

But may I also ask something?
If the function with the Web App works, so the program code must obviously be present and also the files in the possible movie extra folders is displayed (but all together under "extra"), why are the functions of the different Emby clients not unified?

Why do all users have to go to the trouble of merging individual files when there are cases where there may be 2 or more parts? Shouldn't a media player, like Emby, be able to take this into account (which also works with the web app)?

Sorry, but I don't understand why this already existing feature is not available in all clients.

Siutsch

Yes, you are indeed right. :)

In the meantime I was able to merge 2 MKV files.

With a 2nd concert, however, the result shows only green blocks, so it does not always seem to work.

6 hours ago, Siutsch said:

In my case, these are mostly concert DVDs, which also come on 2 discs in the original

Hi.  If that is the case, I strongly recommend setting these up as separate videos and then combine them in a collection.  This way you will get all the same features for the second part that you have for the first one as well as chapters etc.

• 1 year later...
Jackbutler

Has this been addressed yet? I can see the additional discs (they are listed as parts) in the web interface but I do not see them in the app for my shield tv.

10 hours ago, Jackbutler said:

Has this been addressed yet? I can see the additional discs (they are listed as parts) in the web interface but I do not see them in the app for my shield tv.

Hi.  Is there a reason you do not wish to combine them or treat them as separate items?

Yea we will get there with better multi-part support, but for the best experience possible we still suggest joining the files.

Jackbutler
5 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Is there a reason you do not wish to combine them or treat them as separate items?

Yes, for example I have some wrestling dvds that are spread out over 3-4 discs. The first disc is usually the main biography or story with the additional discs being matches or other things. Sometimes I would like to just jump into one of the discs with the matches bypassing the first disc. I would rather not join them, I would like to select which disc I want to watch from the menu. 

It’s done that way in the web interface I would just like it that way in the client app on the Shield 😁

Edited by Jackbutler

30 minutes ago, Jackbutler said:

The first disc is usually the main biography or story with the additional discs being matches or other things. Sometimes I would like to just jump into one of the discs with the matches bypassing the first disc. I would rather not join them, I would like to select which disc I want to watch from the menu. 

Hi.  I would suggest treating those the same way I suggested treating the music concert DVDs above.  Make them separate items in the library and then put them all in a collection.  This will get you the maximum amount of functionality including resume points, chapters, etc. for each of them.  You cannot get those things with "additional parts".

Jackbutler
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  I would suggest treating those the same way I suggested treating the music concert DVDs above.  Make them separate items in the library and then put them all in a collection.  This will get you the maximum amount of functionality including resume points, chapters, etc. for each of them.  You cannot get those things with "additional parts".

Okay thanks. I will check it out!

arrbee99

I don't see why allowing additional parts is such an issue, especially with Luke changing things around in the database at the mo.

Easy for me to say.

16 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

I don't see why allowing additional parts is such an issue

You just lose so much functionality with that approach and there is no technical reason anymore for these items to be in separate files - and combining them is super easy.  So, the need for complete support of this is very, very small making it not a very good use of design/development time.

For the cases where it does make sense for them to be separate, then I suggest it is best to do just that, and make them separate items.

Jackbutler

I am new to Emby so please tell me how to make this into a collection without losing the description and artwork for the disc and how do I show the other 2 discs. Since these are not technically collections there is no collection site to pull the info from. 

for example I ripped Kissology Vol 3 which has three discs and I want to make all three discs available as a collection without losing all of the info that was pulled for this set when I did it normally as a concert. 

1 hour ago, Jackbutler said:

I am new to Emby so please tell me how to make this into a collection without losing the description and artwork for the disc and how do I show the other 2 discs. Since these are not technically collections there is no collection site to pull the info from. 

for example I ripped Kissology Vol 3 which has three discs and I want to make all three discs available as a collection without losing all of the info that was pulled for this set when I did it normally as a concert. 

You would just make them separate movies in emby server, and then use the 3-dot context menu on each of them and select "add to collection".

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Jackbutler

There was a bit more to it to get all the discs to show up separately and then get artwork and descriptions for each disc and the collection as a whole since this isn't a normal collection. It took a little work but the end result looks nice! 

Thanks for the help everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jackbutler

BTW coming from a long time Plex user, I have only had Emby for a week or so but I think it is so much better. Already purchased my lifetime subscription!

• Thanks 1