TCL P715 tv - Emby transcodes all audio even though Native player can

Chenc033

Chenc033
15 hours ago, ebr said:

So, you do see the DTS options in the app settings and, if you select them, the DTS audio works?

Yes - the native app displays all possible audio track in the remux and you can select the DTS track (typically track 2) and it will play it by passing to my avr. My Avr shows DTS meaning it is doing the decoding.

With Emby app when i select the same audio track, it shows software decode and it passes to my AVR showing Dolby Digital.

So wonder why Emby is not able to pass through to my avr like the native app can. - could possibly be a permissions thing or Emby is somehow decoding it to dolby digital instead of passing through the DTS? 

I have seen solutions where people  buy an nvidia shield and also a excool 4k splitter/scaler where one 4k signal goes to the tv and the other goes to the avr scaled down at 1080p but because it is only carrying audio it works. I rather not have to spend $100 for the splitter/scaler and also a Nvidia Shield or android tv box...

8 hours ago, Chenc033 said:

Yes - the native app displays all possible audio track in the remux and you can select the DTS track (typically track 2) and it will play it by passing to my avr. My Avr shows DTS meaning it is doing the decoding.

Okay, I'm not talking about the native TV app.  In our app, go into the playback settings section.  Are there any options there for DTS or DTS-HD?

Chenc033
6 hours ago, ebr said:

Okay, I'm not talking about the native TV app.  In our app, go into the playback settings section.  Are there any options there for DTS or DTS-HD?

There is an option to play the DTS and can even software decode DTS-HD track but all it automatically software decodes - likely because it thinks the tv cannot handle it. but what i notice on some scenes, software decode sound effects is not as dynamic as native player DTS pass through (Alita battle angel first scene my subs rumbles at a lower frequency when native player passes DTS vs Emby software decode) . Which is why i am asking if Emby app can do a pass through DTS just like the native player can. 

10 hours ago, cayars said:

Yes, try sideloading this as it will be the latest version.

Were you able to try this?

21 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  On this screen here, do these options show?

image.png

Chenc033
11 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  On this screen here, do these options show?

image.png

No my app is 2.0.33g and my dev server is 4.6.4.

I will try the app store to see if i can get the 2.0.40g first before side loading the apk

GrimReaper

You can get 2.0.41 from the app store only if you opted for Beta program, which I don't think you did since you're at latest release version, 2.0.33.

Download apk and sideload 2.0.41.

Chenc033

So tested side loading the android TV app on 2.0.41g but the playback settings do not show Allow DTS or True HD pass through options. There is only the option allow playback of TS files.

My tv is BeyondTV2 if that helps at all - I have not tried the android apk. should i try this?

FrostByte
6 hours ago, Chenc033 said:

- I have not tried the android apk. should i try this?

Yes, Luke mentioned trying that also in case it works then they can compare why one is different.

The latest beta apk for that one will always be in the link in this post

Chenc033

I tried the android apk. unfortunately only allows playing for 1 min. But there isnt the option to pass through DTS either.

In the playback setting screenshot 2.0.41 was that on the nvidia pro? it may be specific to nvidia pro and not working on the TCL BeyondTV2. is it possible to somehow force that option in the app?

11 hours ago, Chenc033 said:

I will try the app store to see if i can get the 2.0.40g first before side loading the apk

Okay, the app version doesn't matter here.  I wanted to know if those options were shown because that tells me what your TV says it supports.  It is not reporting support for DTS (or TrueHD).

Chenc033
11 hours ago, ebr said:

Okay, the app version doesn't matter here.  I wanted to know if those options were shown because that tells me what your TV says it supports.  It is not reporting support for DTS (or TrueHD).

But it is strange the native player supports the playing and or pass through? is there an option to ignore tv capabilities built into the app?

GrimReaper
On 8/25/2021 at 7:15 PM, Chenc033 said:

The tcl media player seems to have exclusive access to the dolby codecs on the tv as i cant get netflix to play dolby dd+ either. If i stream to chromecast on the tv i cannot get dd+ on the receiver, however if i stream to the chromecast attached to my AVR there is DD+ 

So why don't you just use Emby client app on that chromecast and have same audio support? 

Edit: Also, have you tried any other non-native external player (VLC, MPV, MX or any other of your chice) and see what kind of signal you're getting there? That way you can easily surmise is it native-player locked access or is it client app issue. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Append

Chenc033
3 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

So why don't you just use Emby client app on that chromecast and have same audio support? 

Edit: Also, have you tried any other non-native external player (VLC, MPV, MX or any other of your chice) and see what kind of signal you're getting there? That way you can easily surmise is it native-player locked access or is it client app issue. 

Its because chromecast of the tv has the same issue. putting a chromecast on my receiver works for audio but not for video (not a 4k pass through receiver)

Other players run into the same issue except possibly kodi.

Kodi also have "shitty" builds using a pcm hack workaround due to android tv private api's.

I guess i will just use the native player and transfer downloaded movies to a large hdd to watch for now.