Opensubtitles permissions issue

jonwolds

jonwolds

Hi,

All permissions for emby are working fine except for open subtitles which cannot write to my movie folder. If i download subtitles through the meta data manager they work.

1) the emby user has full control of the movie folder this is also inherited to all subfolders

Im totally out of ideas and am now working on the basis that maybe because the emby service account is called "emby" and not "embysvr" open subtitles has an issue with that. Screenshots below. 

I've been digging into this for hours so would really appreciate some support. Thanks

Screenshot 2021-08-24 185246.jpg

Screenshot 2021-08-24 184851.jpg

Edited by jonwolds

DSM 7 doesn't use those permissions.

You need to modify the system internal emby user and give it read/write access to the share.

• Like 1

Can you try it again and post a new log?

You may need to check to make sure permissions are inherited.

jonwolds

Log attached. I can confirm permissions are correctly inherited (i.e. i've checked the lower level folder permissions in Synology dsm). I've also removed and re-added permissions and uninstalled/reinstalled opensubtitles.622283930_Screenshot2021-08-24202622.thumb.jpg.1de4e33e17be4a12dd66a81777342ebc.jpg

Screenshot 2021-08-24 202952.jpg

Edited by jonwolds

Any chance we can do a remote support session and let me take a look at your permissions?

Send me a PM if you want to do this.

jonwolds

Thanks for the offer of a remote session but if it's ok I'd like to check a few more things first. I'm confident the permissions are set correctly on the system internal user account "emby" and all other functionality is working apart from opensubtitles. There are no issues with subtitle downloads when done from meta data manager.

Attached is the view of the folder permissions in WinSCP in case that sheds any light.

In Synology the "admin" account is disabled and no permissions are assigned to the guest account. Apart from the emby internal user,  permissions are granted via the administrators group (i.e. full permissions). No permissions are granted or denied to the "users" group.

1837914399_Screenshot2021-08-25083539.jpg.b55d906eb186fe583b0126bcd5f23943.jpg

Edited by jonwolds

I would look at this with File Station on the media folder that would hold the subtitle.

jonwolds

That's included in the screenshots earlier in the thread. Granting the emby internal account share permissions means the permissions show in file station as inherited right down into the movie name folder (where the Emby logs a permissions error when trying to write a subtitle).

On the assumption I have the permissions set correctly is what would be the next step - backup, uninstall, reinstall, restore?

It seems very weird that emby adds the subtitle successfully via metadata manager but gets a permissions error using the scheduled task.

Edited by jonwolds

You may want to go down the folder tree and make sure that no subfolders are overriding the top level permssions.

The permissions you have right now with "root"/"root" ownership but no actual permissions given look suspect.

jonwolds

Thanks both for taking a look I think im going to give up for now. Some observations:

1) In DSM tried setting full permissions to everyone nested right through (also checking emby internal account still had read/write on the share in dsm) - no joy

2) Via console I tried setting the owner to my admin user and the group to "users" will full permission set for both (also checking emby internal account still had read/write on the share in dsm) - no joy 

3) Via console i tried setting the owner to "emby" and the group to "emby" with full permissions set for both (also checking emby internal account still had read/write on the share in dsm) - no joy

4) I double checked that emby will write subtitles to the movie folder via metadata manager and not through the scheduled task. If it works via metadata manager that must mean permissions are correctly set?

I wouldn't expect that to help in any way. This is a permission (lack of) problem on the media folders based on what you've shown in pics.

jonwolds

True. I also deleted the emby internal account as part of the uninstall as I thought that might help but it didn’t.

jonwolds

I've found the root cause and think it's a bug.

I moved over to a docker container and was still getting the permissions denied error (whether running the container under root or under my account). I played around with a few things and then noticed in the log that the permissions denied error was only occurring for certain movies. I went to metadata manager and tried to download subtitles manually. The movie with the permissions error returned no subtitle matches, the movie with no permissions error returned subtitle matches.

Conclusion - if open subtitles cannot find a matching subtitle it erroneously enters a "permissions denied" entry into the emby log when running as a scheduled task.

Edited by jonwolds

That was not what I thought this thread was about.  That's the problem with log fragments instead of posting the full log as we can't see what was actually taking place.

On 8/27/2021 at 2:59 AM, jonwolds said:

I've found the root cause and think it's a bug.

I moved over to a docker container and was still getting the permissions denied error (whether running the container under root or under my account). I played around with a few things and then noticed in the log that the permissions denied error was only occurring for certain movies. I went to metadata manager and tried to download subtitles manually. The movie with the permissions error returned no subtitle matches, the movie with no permissions error returned subtitle matches.

Conclusion - if open subtitles cannot find a matching subtitle it erroneously enters a "permissions denied" entry into the emby log when running as a scheduled task.

@jonwolds the error happens on saving to the file system, which wouldn't happen if there were no subtitle results. So that results out that theory, but thanks for the investigation.

jonwolds

I’m at a loss to see how it could be my local permissions when the same error occurs in the same folders when running Emby as a docker container (running as root or my admin account) or as.a package. Emby finds those movies and can play them, it just shows the permissions error on a subtitle save. It’s saving subtitles to other movies (when subtitles are matched) with identical permissions set.

Could we do a remote support session so I can get a look at your permissions and setup?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I would prefer not to run a remote session if that’s ok. From my end everything is working as needed I.e where subs exist they are being downloaded.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi running the latest beta and it’s still showing the error in the log. Happy to close the thread as it’s only happening when there are no subtitle matches.