250GB NVMe Drive. What to do with it?

Dizzy49

Dizzy49

Long story short, my server took a dump on me about 10 days ago.  I'm in the process of restoring the data, so it'll be another couple days before I get anything really up and running.

I have 2x Samsung 970 Pro NVMe drives in the machine not being used right now.  I have a 250GB SSD for a boot drive, and a 1TB SSD for torrent downloads.

I use Stablebit Drivepool on the server for all the data.  I also have PrimoCache.  I'm trying to figure out the best use for these two drives.  Do I put one 250GB drive into PrimoCache and cache the drive pool?  Do I use one for load balancing in the drive pool?  Do I use one for Emby metadata/cache?  Split one of the drives and spread it around a bit everywhere?

Thoughts?

I'd dedicate one for Emby transcode use (250GB) and the 1 TB for metadata/cache.  Torrents don't need to run off SSDs. :)

Dizzy49
8 hours ago, cayars said:

I'd dedicate one for Emby transcode use (250GB) and the 1 TB for metadata/cache.  Torrents don't need to run off SSDs. :)

LOL, I know, but it's all I have.  I have large mechanical drives, and a crapload of SSDs from 64GB to 2TB.

So here is what I have done/will be doing.

I set up one of the 250GB NVMe drives in PrimoCache to speed up my Drivepool
I split the other one and I'm using half for SSD Optimization for Drivepool, and the other half will be for Emby metadata/cache (Haven't done this yet).
I have a 500GB SSD that Samsung is placing, it's what I was using for the Transcoding..  I haven't looked to see how much metadata/cache there is.  

Let us know how this works out for you.

BTW, what do you think of PrimoCache?

• 4 weeks later...
tenchiowo

If you are using Emby for live television you might also want to think about using the nvme for the watching of shows so you can easily skip ahead and back without too much seeking and waiting for it to catch up. Then use some scripts to move your recorded shows that you want to keep onto slower drives.

I have done something similar but used Starwind's Ram Disk to create a 50GB RAM Drive for all of the transcoding. 

• Like 2