Android TV client - option to scan library?

westhill
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

westhill

I have Emby server running  on windows backend and porting it to a Synology soon. On the Android TV app (2.0.33g)(premiere if that matters) I can't find an option to get manually force a library scan, it seems like the entire server admin section is missing. My Android phone app (3.2.05) has this capability, I click my profile, go to Server -> Library and select the library I want to rescan.

The reason I want to do this is for new content that gets added on the fly and currently I think the library scans only run every 12 hours. There might be a ton of optimization missing in my setup so open to suggestions, comments.

My questions is, does the Android TV app have an admin section I am somehow overlooking in the UI?

Thanks!

• Solution
GrimReaper
8 minutes ago, westhill said:

My questions is, does the Android TV app have an admin section I am somehow overlooking in the UI?

No, it doesn't. And the Devs tend to keep Admin tasks out of this client app.

• Thanks 1

Happy2Play

Ideally we would want to troubleshoot why Realtime Monitoring is not seeing your newly added media.

• Agree 1

GrimReaper
11 minutes ago, westhill said:

I have Emby server running  on windows

Since your server is under Windows, there should be no issues with RTM (Real Time Monitoring). Do you have it enabled in your Library settings?

11 minutes ago, westhill said:

The reason I want to do this is for new content that gets added on the fly and currently I think the library scans only run every 12 hours.

You can also customize that interval to a shorter one, if inclined so. Just create new task under Dashboard>Scheduled tasks>Scam media library

• Thanks 1

westhill
59 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

No, it doesn't. And the Devs tend to keep Admin tasks out of this client app.

Great, thanks for confirming

westhill
59 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Ideally we would want to troubleshoot why Realtime Monitoring is not seeing your newly added media.

I looked for this setting and can't locate it but sounds like it may help

58 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Since your server is under Windows, there should be no issues with RTM (Real Time Monitoring). Do you have it enabled in your Library settings?

You can also customize that interval to a shorter one, if inclined so. Just create new task under Dashboard>Scheduled tasks>Scam media library

I am moving to the Synology setup soon, is RTM avail in that server too or in a Docker container version? If I recall, I am running the native Synology version to test it out

GrimReaper
7 minutes ago, westhill said:

I looked for this setting and can't locate it but sounds like it may help

Dashboard>Library, Edit any Library, tick "Enable real time monitoring"

8 minutes ago, westhill said:

I am moving to the Synology setup soon, is RTM avail in that server too

AFAIK yes, although there were few issues reported every now and then, tbh didn't quite follow those closely.

• Thanks 1

westhill
23 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Dashboard>Library, Edit any Library, tick "Enable real time monitoring"

AFAIK yes, although there were few issues reported every now and then, tbh didn't quite follow those closely.

Mine are setup with RTM enabled.

I double checked my setup, Emby server on Synology native app hitting SMB shares on a Windows box that will get migrated to the Synology. Perhaps that is why the RTM is not real-time.

Any harm.in setting the threshold down to every 5 mins for a scan? Will it drive up resources that much?

RTM works fine on Synology but you have to make a one-time adjustment on Synology to the OS to boost the number of inotify watches.

• Thanks 1

Happy2Play

Can you post a server log about 5 minutes after you add new media.

How are your libraries setup?

• Thanks 1

westhill
6 hours ago, cayars said:

RTM works fine on Synology but you have to make a one-time adjustment on Synology to the OS to boost the number of inotify watches.

I see this post related to the topic, I found a few threads on the topic.

https://www.synoforum.com/threads/inotify-doesnt-appear-to-be-working-in-my-ds1819.4622/

Thanks for pointing this out, I will investigate when I get a moment.

westhill
4 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Can you post a server log about 5 minutes after you add new media.

How are your libraries setup?

I will check this out later this week when time permits. It is possible I was not waiting long enough (5 mins) after new content was dropped into the library.

I will investigate before I go and make changes to inotify settings. I would rather not make global fixes to my NAS until I better understand the implications on other things running on that system.

How about the impact on Emby.server by enabling a more aggressive library scan in Scheduled Tasks down from the default 12 hours?

westhill
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

If your machine can handle it, then it should be ok.

Cool, I will check this out. Thanks

However, I would not set it to scan every 5 minutes as you suggested.  A library scan can easily take longer than that.

The bottom line should be to discover why your real time monitoring isn't working for you.

• Agree 1

westhill
26 minutes ago, ebr said:

However, I would not set it to scan every 5 minutes as you suggested.  A library scan can easily take longer than that.

The bottom line should be to discover why your real time monitoring isn't working for you.

Agreed, I will look into this as I previously mentioned I might just be impatient and not waiting long enough for the title to appear in Emby after being added to the library directory. Thanks!