problems ripping blu rays

Bingie

Bingie

Hi all,

Anyone else have problems ripping blu rays?  I've tried two different drives (one internal and one external) on two different computers.  For software, using makemkv.  It seems every few blu ray discs give errors trying to read them.  Yes, I cleaned the disks with soap and water.  They are new.

I checked the forums over on makemkv, and apparently this is a common issue.  If it is, I'm just going to stop buying blu ray disks, until the technology improves.

I'm wondering if I use a different program (instead of makemkv) will I have better results?  Maybe pay for one of those blu ray ripping programs.  They all brag they work, but that's just marketing for ya.

Anyone else have problems ripping blu ray disks?

Thanks

Bingie
21 minutes ago, Privateyes said:

TIP: passkey from DVDfab

Nope, same errors.  I was hoping it would work, but no luck.

Maybe this blu ray has some new technology that hasn't been broken yet.  ARGH

humans_blurayerrors.png

Deathsquirrel

I've never had an error that couldn't be traced to a scratch.  Blu-ray discs are VERY sensitive to scratches in the read surface.  They put a super-hard coating on them so they are relatively hard to scratch but if it happens they're coasters as far as a ripping program is concerned.  I have about 1600 standard blu-rays and about 150 4K discs so a pretty fair sample to work with.

Edited by Deathsquirrel

Bingie
1 minute ago, Deathsquirrel said:

I've never had an error that couldn't be traced to a scratch.  Blu-ray discs are VERY sensitive to scratches in the read surface.  They put a super-hard coating on them so they are relatively hard to scratch but if it happens they're coasters as far as a ripping program is concerned.

they are brand new, no scratches, smudges, fingerprints

I just requested replacement, bought from amazon prime.  I'm gonna take these back, they will mail me another new one.

Bingie
5 minutes ago, Privateyes said:

Can you post the result of the encrypted blu-ray (passkey screenshot)?

I don't really know what that means, didn't get any messages from passkey, other than it sees the disk okay.  I'm pretty sure these are just bad disks from manufacturer, I requested replacements, since I just bought them new.

Deathsquirrel
1 minute ago, Bingyyyy said:

they are brand new, no scratches, smudges, fingerprints

I just requested replacement, bought from amazon prime.  I'm gonna take these back, they will mail me another new one.

I did have more issues with my external drive but the internal has been rock solid.  What internal drive are you using?

Bingie
2 minutes ago, Deathsquirrel said:

I did have more issues with my external drive but the internal has been rock solid.  What internal drive are you using?

I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081ZZ1WD1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

passkey describes it as:

Info for drive [D:\] (DVDFab Passkey 9.4.1.9)
Vendor: MATSHITA, Product: BD-MLT UJ260
Revision: 1.00, Vendor specific: 11072600
Drive region: 2 (RPC II), changes left: 4(user) / 4(vendor)
AACS v1, AGIDs: 1, revocation level: MKBv65+
Support: BUS_ENCRYPTION=YES BN_GENERATION=YES

Deathsquirrel
19 minutes ago, Bingyyyy said:

I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081ZZ1WD1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

passkey describes it as:

This is what I'm using and it's fantastic in my experience: https://www.amazon.com/LG-WH16NS60-Internal-Playback-Cyberlink/dp/B07CV35N7G/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3TB4QWRVW3X6T&dchild=1&keywords=lg+wh16ns60&qid=1629226710&s=electronics&sprefix=lg+wh16ns%2Celectronics%2C261&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTUlWQzFBODA2Q1M5JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDYyOTM3MjZCTE9JWUxTWjhPMSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTQxNDgxMUg2ME5YS0JONEhSOSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

arrbee99

Nothing is this simple, but I have occasionally found that turning your computer off completely (not just rebooting, power off for 30sec) might help. Also, for Windows, putting the disc in, waiting for windows to pop up a message about it and then starting MakeMKV might also help.

OTOH for your error, came across a post suggesting its more to do with your drive than the actual discs. Seems unlikely with you trying two drives though.

Bingie
51 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

Nothing is this simple, but I have occasionally found that turning your computer off completely (not just rebooting, power off for 30sec) might help. Also, for Windows, putting the disc in, waiting for windows to pop up a message about it and then starting MakeMKV might also help.

OTOH for your error, came across a post suggesting its more to do with your drive than the actual discs. Seems unlikely with you trying two drives though.

God I hope it's not the drive.  The 2nd drive I tried was an external garbage drive, always failed after a few seconds when trying to read anything.  I just sent it back.

The blu ray disk literally always failed at the exact same spot, when ripping the same file, so I tend to think the disk itself is bad, since it's new and perfectly clean.  Only 1 file on the disk gave me problems, the rest ripped fine.  I guess we'll find out in a few days when I get the replacement disks.  I'll update this thread.

• Like 1

Bingie

OMG my luck can't be this bad

up to now, i've only put blu ray disks in my internal blu ray drive...

I just put a dvd in the blu ray drive, and it's telling me wrong region:

Disc media: DVD (DVD-Video)
Disc region: 1
Volume name: GEORGE_AND_THE_DRAGON
Video standard: NTSC

damn the bad luck :(

need a way to change the dvd region on the drive. dvdfab looks to only change for blu ray region, not dvd

I'd love to hear any suggestions at this point...

thanks

Bingie

okay I found out how to change region in windows 10

before I change it from region 2 to region 1 (have 4 tries left) I read something about removing the region?  should I do that? and if so, how?

thanks

arrbee99

Not really answering your question, but using MakeMKV, don't think I've ever had to change any region for anything. I guess it could depend on the individual drive in question. I'm in New Zealand and sometimes buy disks from the States and they rip fine.

Bingie

I'm using MakeMKV, it refuses to read a region 1 disk in a region 2 dvd drive.  I'll have to change it.  Passkey didn't help.

arrbee99

There doesn't seem to be much info around about this, so I presume its very rare. I saw one comment that MakeMKV might complain but rip it anyway. Also saw one comment about rare drives that are very fussy about regions somehow.

If MakeMKV specifically said drive and disk don't match regions and I won't rip it, then I wouldn't know what to do. If tis just a disk that won't rip and they happen to have different regions maybe its coincidence.

koopa8840
5 hours ago, Bingyyyy said:

okay I found out how to change region in windows 10

before I change it from region 2 to region 1 (have 4 tries left) I read something about removing the region?  should I do that? and if so, how?

thanks

I wouldn't bother removing the region lock, unless you purchase a lot of discs from other countries. If you're in the US/Canada, just set it to 1 and be done with it. 99% of the time, the disc has a region code of 0, which is why most people haven't had to deal with region codes.

"

The Reasons for DVD Region Coding
Coding is a tool to protect copyright and film distribution rights. This is because movies are sometimes released in theaters in different parts of the world at various times throughout the year. A summer blockbuster in the U.S. may end up being the Christmas blockbuster overseas. If that occurs, the movie's DVD version may be out in the U.S. while it is still showing in theaters in another region. Also, copyright is not the same in every country, so by limiting DVDs by region, it also protects the copyright holder.

https://www.lifewire.com/dvd-region-codes-1845720

Bingie

SOLVED

I just received the new replacement disks, and they are ripping fine.  So I was right, the original new disks must've had bad burning or something, because they were new/clean no scratches smudges or anything.

Yay!  I hate sending back stuff, but if it's defective, it's defective...

Thanks everyone for your help, I appreciate it

• Like 2