Leaving Plex for Emby.. Playback Quality

lstryhrn85

lstryhrn85

Quick question for users who made the switch from Plex to Emby. Did you guys see a playback quality difference with Emby? I am noticing that Emby shows a better picture than Plex. This is with direct play\stream. I am trying to make sure that its not me just being excited on my new Emby server. 

Gilgamesh_48

I "switched" many years ago and the "switch" is still almost compete. I keep Plex running on a spare computer, just in case.

When I use my Plex server I see no difference in picture quality. You may be seeing what you want to see or Emby may be making slightly better choices for some videos than Plex does but I do not really think that is the case.

I will qualify that by saying my eyes are quite old and"experienced" so I see little difference between videos as long as the resolution is at or above 720p. I can see the difference between 480p and 720p, barely.

I use Emby 99% of the time now and if I did not have the spare computer I might just stop using Plex totally. Emby is better in almost all respects and the developers here usually can make even bugs fun and they fix 'em very quickly.

On some clients, like the Shield I think, there are normal choices that can be made for general playback so there could be a difference there. Also a bit ago on some clients Emby or Plex or both wrote or developed or augmented an existing player and something in that process may have made a difference.

Also video "quality" is often quite subjective and what looks "best" or "better" to some might be turned on its head for other people.

It is pretty much viewer's choice and that is fine with me on both platforms but there could easily be other users that have a preference for one or the other.