Only one show out of library stopped playing correctly.

VincentVega
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

VincentVega

I'm running Emby on my DS118.

Yesterday or a couple of days before, one show out of my library stopped fast-forwarding/rewinding as well as stopped keeping track of progress of episodes. So if I start an episode, watch half way, then stop, Emby doesn't give me an option to resume from where I stopped. I also can't forward or skip at all like I said even using the button on the UI on the TV not the skip/rewind buttons on the remote.

Super bizarre because it's only this one show. I've deleted all the .nfo files and did a fresh scan and restarted the server, and it's still not working. All my files are named correctly, and I'm 5 seasons into this show, but the last 4 were playing back fine until now.

What steps can I do to troubleshoot this, or is this a new bug? I HAVE NOT updated to DSM 7.0 and don't plan to because the amount of RAM on the NAS isn't enough to run it according to Synology, so nothing has changed on my set-up at all. I have no idea why it's doing this. I'm using the Emby app on Smart LG TV for the client.

Thank you.

VincentVega

Apologies if this isn't the right form. I've provided as much detail as I can think of, but if there's something specific missing, let me know. Thanks for any help. The playback problem is happening on my TV, I can record it I guess with my phone, but can't take any screenshots.

How about the name of the show?  First episode your having a problem playing.

What client(s) this happens to.  What you've done to check the status of the files themselves.

Anything that describes the issue.

VincentVega

OK...

Community (2009) -> Season 5 -> Community (2009) - S05E02 - Introduction to Teaching (Encode settings XYZ).mkv

On the Emby app on LG Smart TV, so Web OS, like I said. I press play and then don't have any other controls other than play/pause. I can't forward or rewind, and it doesn't keep track of my progress.

I have three other TV shows I've tested through the "continue watching" portion on the home screen and I can forward/rewind those just fine, and they keep progress like normal as well.

Like I said, it's just this one TV show, and it's only just started acting this way within the last couple of days. I haven't changed any settings on my Synology or on Emby.

The community show acts the same way, even when I don't select from the continued watching. If I play it from my TV shows library it still has the bug, and it's more than just that one episode too, I've just skipped ahead a couple episodes, and it's the same.

I'm about to just delete the show from my NAS HDD and copy over the backup copy I have, but I'm not sure if that would fix it or not.

Movies still skip/rewind normal. Movies keep progress. It's literally just this one show.

Thanks.

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, VincentVega said:

OK...

Community (2009) -> Season 5 -> Community (2009) - S05E02 - Introduction to Teaching (Encode settings XYZ).mkv

On the Emby app on LG Smart TV, so Web OS, like I said. I press play and then don't have any other controls other than play/pause. I can't forward or rewind, and it doesn't keep track of my progress.

I have three other TV shows I've tested through the "continue watching" portion on the home screen and I can forward/rewind those just fine, and they keep progress like normal as well.

Like I said, it's just this one TV show, and it's only just started acting this way within the last couple of days. I haven't changed any settings on my Synology or on Emby.

The community show acts the same way, even when I don't select from the continued watching. If I play it from my TV shows library it still has the bug, and it's more than just that one episode too, I've just skipped ahead a couple episodes, and it's the same.

I'm about to just delete the show from my NAS HDD and copy over the backup copy I have, but I'm not sure if that would fix it or not.

Movies still skip/rewind normal. Movies keep progress. It's literally just this one show.

Thanks.

This sounds like possibly a file issue if it is specific to just these items.  Are they encoded any differently then the reset of your media?

VincentVega

Everything in my TV library right now is 10bit h265 with AAC audio. Any subtitles are SRT. Super light stuff and usually direct plays without any hiccups. Is there anyway I can check if the files are corrupt?

I have an archived copy of the show on an external HDD I was going to replace it with as my next troubleshooting step, but I've never had any files go bad on me before. The NAS is hooked up to a battery backup and always gets shut off properly.

Thanks.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the show plays/pauses just fine. I've lost the ability to rewind/forward/resume just for this one show.

Edited by VincentVega

I would try to restore the archived files since you have them.

Let us know how you make out after switching the files.

VincentVega

Alright, update!

I deleted the whole show, scanned the library, copied over the backup, and I still do not have the ability to skip/rewind/resume for any episodes of Season 5.

I've double-checked random episodes in all the other seasons, and the ones I checked all play normally.

I guess it's not that big an issue since it appears to just be this one season. The rest of my measly 1 TB library plays normally. But still super strange since it's encoded the same way as all the other seasons and direct plays on my TV. Encode settings/naming scheme is all the same within the show.

What else can be happening here? I can record it if you want, since I know how crazy it sounds. It should work. I've opened up a season 5 episode with mkvtoolnix and nothing is embed in it that isn't in the other episodes.

Thanks.

If you can post an episode for us to download we could take a look and try testing it as well.

• Solution

This is direct playing with the LG app and the LG video player is having difficulty with the file. I believe the next update to the app will recover better and automatically switch to server transcoding when this occurs.

VincentVega

Thank you for the reply, Luke. Just checking there's nothing I can do on my end and hopefully bringing some helpful attention to the issue.

Looking forward to the app update. I will be editing out the Google Drive link if there's nothing else before the day's over.

Thanks again and great work.