Slow to load and play movies running directly on DS220j

griam01

griam01

Recently my NUC had an issue and I decided to move my Emby server directly to the NAS where I was storing my movies and shows.  Now when I try to click to play a movie it takes several minutes before it will play at all.  I am not sure what I am missing.  I didn't have this issue when I was running the server on my NUC and the media on my NAS.  Any suggestions?  I did recently upgrade my Synology from version 6 to 7, but the same issues occurred on both versions.  Thanks in advance for your time. 

FrostByte

Is it transcoding?  Your DS220j is probably not going to be able to transcode as fast as your NUC. 

Can you post any server and remux/transcode logs for the time while it was playing?

• Agree 1

griam01

@frostbyte

Here are the emby server logs from just a few mins ago when I tried to play a few movies...the first one takes minutes to load and then subsequent ones are almost instant.  Even the pictures to load on each movie take forever inititally.  I tried with both transcoding set to Yes and No.  Where do I find the remux/transcode logs?

embyserver.txt

Edited by griam01
  • Thanks 1

With all the port mapping errors this log is hard to read.

Please turn off network->Enable automatic port mapping

Then try restarting your Emby server and try this again and let's see what a new log file looks like.

FrostByte
7 hours ago, griam01 said:

@frostbyte

Here are the emby server logs from just a few mins ago when I tried to play a few movies...the first one takes minutes to load and then subsequent ones are almost instant.  Even the pictures to load on each movie take forever inititally.  I tried with both transcoding set to Yes and No.  Where do I find the remux/transcode logs?

embyserver.txt 815.93 kB · 2 downloads

If the movie transcodes or remuxes the logs will be in the same location as the server logs, but the filename will start with transcode, etc

By the way this log only contains direct playback, no transcoding or remuxing. Are you sure this is the right one?

griam01

I have turned off the port mapping and uploaded new logs today.  I did not have any transcode logs previously, but did today when I tried to play a TV Show.  Attached are all the files.  I also set the Enable hardware acceleration when available to No before playing these. 

embyserver-63764236800.txt ffmpeg-transcode-2591c34c-6cbe-4585-bf70-7359c3977ee3_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-a965c9e2-8061-473b-9390-ebec40ab1bde_1.txt embyserver(1).txt

The two ffmpeg transcode logs show that transcoding isn't fast enough without hardware use.

Please turn back on hardware transcoding and try these same files again.

That didn't use any hardware transcoding.

Can you show us what your Transcoding menu looks like?  Change the first option to Advanced.

You could try and enable the ARM H.264 option shown above but it really looks like your NAS doesn't really have the power to transcode via hardware or software.

In situations like this it's probably best to make sure all your media is in a format that can direct play around the house/LAN and to be careful with remote sharing as they too will need to direct play all files as well.

griam01

Thank you for the assistance.  I will probably just move back to he NUC as soon as I get the part that I need to replace as I didn't have issues there.  Was just trying to see if this would be a better alternative.  Thanks again for everyone's help!!

• Like 2

roaku

Yes, my Synology can't handle transcoding even a little bit, so I make all my media Direct Play/Stream-able.

Earlier this week, I thought my entire NAS was crashing because I kept having to restart it after navigating to a movie detail screen in the Emby web app. The entire NAS would become completely non-responsive indefinitely.

Turns out, I had been adding backdrop videos recently and some of them were in HEVC, which my browser didn't support...

Oops.

I've since disabled transcoding across the system.

• Like 1