DD Transcoding, receiver drops out all the time

JuggaNook

JuggaNook

I've got some Logitech Speakers running over Fibre. When I have audio transcoding to DD 5.1, I constantly have issues with the receiver dropping the connection whenever playback is touched (I.e Paused, resumed, stopped, started).

When I disable transcoding, I don't have any problems, unless its a non DD 5.1 audio track, where I then hear nothing.

Any idea's why the receiver keeps losing the encoding and is unable to re-detect it correctly?

Hi.  Can we please look at an example that has the issue and one that doesn't?  

Also, you said "over fiber".  Does that mean this is an optical (spdif) connection?

JuggaNook

I'll see if I can get the info tonight......Yes I'm using Optical (SPDIF) via the TV. Google TV via HDMI into the TV, then SPDIF from TV to receiver.

2 hours ago, JuggaNook said:

I'll see if I can get the info tonight..

That would be great, thanks.

JuggaNook

OK - I uploaded the diag logs from the Android App itself.....apparently you can pull it from there based on my username?

Weird thing was.....first time I opened a DTS file, it decoded it perfectly. everything was working like it should. Then opened a AC5.1 video, and it started playing up - reciever saw it as a PCM stereo signal and no audio, until I restarted the receiver. I then enabled support mode, went back to the original DTS file and it then started playing up. Receiver wouldn't see the DD5.1 signal until I restarted the receiver with the video playing. It almost seems like an APP issue and not a decoding issue as such. 

Let me know if you cannot see the diag files.

1 hour ago, JuggaNook said:

Let me know if you cannot see the diag files.

Hi.  Can you please provide this information?

Then add the following information to your report in the forum:

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

JuggaNook

What I was doing: Played Jurassic park (DTS), initially worked as expected. Paused and resumed video playback and the receiver stayed on DD5.1. Then played Jumanji (AC5.1), upon the start of playback  the receiver didn't see the DD5.1 signal and saw the audio as PCM so had no audio. I then rebooted the receiver and it picked up the DD5.1 audio and started playing accordingly. Then I enabled support mode within the APP, went back to the same Jurassic Park (DTS) file and hit play. Reciever went back to PCM mode with no audio. Restarted the receiver as it was playing and it then started playing audio as a DD5.1 signal. It seems like the App isn't sending a particular signal down the audio line to tell the receiver the signal is DD5.1 at the commencement of playback at certain times.

Log file was sent from the AndroidTV APP 5-10mins before I posted to this forum. So Wed (11/8/2021) @ ~5am (UTC -5)
Emby user: Pete&Kaila
Google tv running: AndroidTv 2.0.33g

Slightly confused then as what does the TV have to do with this?

Is your device connected via HDMI to the receiver and then receiver to the TV via HDMI?
If not have you tried that?

JuggaNook

Audio Receiver is connected to the TV via Optical (SPDIF), the Google TV streamer box is connected to the TV  via HDMI. Essentially the TV is the pass through device.

Does your receiver have an HDMI in & HDMI out that could be used instead?

1 hour ago, cayars said:

Does your receiver have an HDMI in & HDMI out that could be used instead?

If that's an option, that will likely solve all your issues.  The problem here, undoubtedly is in the conversions through the TV via optical.  There is no handshake, no data, etc.

• Like 1

JuggaNook

No, the receiver is optical only. Its like it misses the handshake when the movie or audio starts. The issue seemed to appear the second time of playing the same content, so its not every time (to make things worse to diagnose)

11 hours ago, JuggaNook said:

Its like it misses the handshake

Well, that's the thing.  With optical, it is just a rudimentary connection.  There is no handshake.

JuggaNook

Hmm, so maybe its a fault of the receiver then? Never had problems with DVD players and other devices before with it. 

As mentioned, its only when audio starts playing that its a problem. If I switch the receiver off and on again with the video playing, it then works everytime.

On 8/13/2021 at 11:38 AM, ebr said:

The problem here, undoubtedly is in the conversions through the TV via optical.

I think it is probably the path from HDMI to TV to optical to receiver.  So many points of conversion/failure.