synchronize (windows 10 home) external usb 3.0 drives

Bingie

Bingie

Hi all,

I finally ordered a 2nd drive for my home Emby server, for redundant file system.  Both drives connected via external usb 3.0 enclosures.

I need a simple windows 10 home program that can run as a service (so I don't have to login), and when I make a change to one drive, the program will do the same to the second drive.  It can either be in real time, or run once a night.  Either is fine with me, as long as it can be automated.

Anyone doing this?  I'd like to hear what program you use... on windows 10 that is.

Thanks

Bingie

Hi all,

Stablebit might be a bit overkill, I just want to mirror one local drive to another.

Sure, Stablebit can do that, but all of that other stuff, setup centralized management in the cloud, etc., is all that stuff required?  Do I have to create a login somewhere?  Store my config in the cloud?  Definitely want to avoid all of that.

I don't mind spending $30 but don't want it more complex than necessary.  It may be months or years until I actually touch the emby server again, probably won't remember any advanced configuration stuff, so simpler is better.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Bingyyyy said:

Hi all,

Stablebit might be a bit overkill, I just want to mirror one local drive to another.

Sure, Stablebit can do that, but all of that other stuff, setup centralized management in the cloud, etc., is all that stuff required?  Do I have to create a login somewhere?  Store my config in the cloud?  Definitely want to avoid all of that.

I don't mind spending $30 but don't want it more complex than necessary.  It may be months or years until I actually touch the emby server again, probably won't remember any advanced configuration stuff, so simpler is better.

Thanks

Forget the cloudsysnc product as you only have need for DrivePool.

With it you can easily combine any amount of drives you have and set the number of copies (ie 2) that each file must have. So once setup the work of duplication is done for you and it's pretty much hands off.

Bingie
On 8/9/2021 at 8:25 PM, Bingyyyy said:

SyncFolder looks like it might do the trick.  Will try it first.

If anyone is interested, I went with the first option.  SyncFolder is the easiest to use, and is free.  Every one of it's defaults is exactly what I was looking for, as if they read my mind.

I started with FreeFileSync, but it was a little confusing, I didn't like the defaults, and the interface makes it way too easy to screw things up.  I didn't try DrivePool, but that's only because SyncFolder is perfect for what I need, so I stopped looking.  If it wasn't, I would've tried them all.

Thank you for everyone's help on this!

Cheers

Edited by Bingyyyy