Lag playback when playing HEVC 10bit, Server on DS918+

heruofan
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Hi, looks like your server is unable to transcode hevc quickly enough to be playable. Are you sure your server machine can handle this?

heruofan
46 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, looks like your server is unable to transcode hevc quickly enough to be playable. Are you sure your server machine can handle this?

Ah... so ds918+ wont be strong enough right?

It may not be for 10 bit HEVC.

Can you show us what your transcoding menu looks like?  Set the first option to Advanced.

heruofan
32 minutes ago, cayars said:

It may not be for 10 bit HEVC.

Can you show us what your transcoding menu looks like?  Set the first option to Advanced.

please check the pic, thx

FireShot Capture 032 - 转码 - 192.168.2.148.png

OK as a test try moving the Quicksync options above VAAPI for the AVC codec for both Decoding and Encoding.

Try again and let's see if that helped in any way or not.

heruofan
1 hour ago, cayars said:

OK as a test try moving the Quicksync options above VAAPI for the AVC codec for both Decoding and Encoding.

Try again and let's see if that helped in any way or not.

tried, seems slightly better than VAAPI but still cant play smoothly~ seems DS918+ wont be strong enough to decode this kind of video~ 

thanks anyway!

• Like 1

• Solution

You could try playing with a native emby app that can direct play it without transcoding.

• Like 1

heruofan
On 8/10/2021 at 10:29 PM, Luke said:

You could try playing with a native emby app that can direct play it without transcoding.

yes~! that will be the best solution!

jang430

Hi.  Just saw this topic.  You mentioned using native Emby app.  What's the advantage of using native Emby app on 4K hevc?  Can you elaborate some more?  Currently, I have hardware that doesn't support 4K hevc. Playback on the browser is hit or miss.  Does the resolution of playback on the iPad browser matter?  I usually have it set to 1080p.  Since I have Emby Premiere, if I use it on an iPad, does it mean it will play smoothly?  

The advantage of a native app is that it will have greater codec and package support.  An an example a typical web browser will not support MKV files or HEVC video codec and will require the server to transcode.

If however you run Theater on a PC or the Android app, etc vs using a browser it will both support MKV packages as well as HEVC (on just about any modern device).

So it has the potential to direct play the media.  I say potential because a bitrate limit could change this but if these devices are local to the server and not remote you should be able to direct play the media.

Does that help?

2 minutes ago, jang430 said:

Cayars, thank you for taking the time to explain. What is Theater? Is that what you call the Emby app?

Yes the Theater I mentioned is software meant to run on a PC.  It's available for a couple of different OSes but most likely this would be the one you want if running Windows OS.

https://emby.media/emby-theater.html

Theater for Windows Desktop does require a Premiere License.

jang430

Yup. Currently subscribed to Premier and liking it. Will get Perpetual license once current subscription ends.  Thank you for the clarification.

• Thanks 1