Recover deleted files

Kevinqin

Kevinqin

Hi,

Another question is I've deleted some files from Emby and want to ask if I can recover those files.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi, were these media files?

Did you check the recycle bin of your OS?

FrostByte

Does Emby use the Synology recycle bin/folder when deleting within Emby?  I thought it only did this for Windows?

But ya, I would check there first.

Edited by FrostByte
  • Agree 1

Good question I have not tested on Synology as I haven't enabled it on any of my media volumes.
I'd be happy to test it if you would give me a login on your system.  LOL

Kidding aside, I'll enable recycle bin on my 920+ and test on both internal volume drives as well as USB attached drives.
This would be useful info to know but I think like you it may only be on Windows right now.

• Haha 1

Kevinqin

they were media files.

I've deleted them accidentally though.

But the funny thing is I do not have recycle bin for my hard drive, so I wonder where can I recover those files or are those files recoverable

Kevinqin

Also any idea of how to change the Metadata?

When I try to update the information / delete or amend, it just won't allow me to do so, any idea of why?

Thanks all

tomnjerry74
6 hours ago, Kevinqin said:

they were media files.

I've deleted them accidentally though.

But the funny thing is I do not have recycle bin for my hard drive, so I wonder where can I recover those files or are those files recoverable

Sorry for your loss :(. Unfortunately it sounds like the files are gone for good. In order to have a chance of recovery, you need either a recycle bin or snapshots/other forms of backups. For the future I would recommend:

• Unless you really need it, turn off media deletion in Emby by going to Admin Dash -> Users -> Your user.

image.png.d4c8ea7b84e84d007154509ca3444e0b.png

• In DSM, go to Shared Folders, select your media folder, and then select edit. You should see an option to enable a recycle bin.

image.thumb.png.cbe6820da8e9e003f25cc8070579a642.png

• Utilize a tool like Hyper Backup or Active Backup for Business to automatically back up your media to either the cloud, or another file system you have.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kevinqin
22 hours ago, tomnjerry74 said:

Sorry for your loss :(. Unfortunately it sounds like the files are gone for good. In order to have a chance of recovery, you need either a recycle bin or snapshots/other forms of backups. For the future I would recommend:

• Unless you really need it, turn off media deletion in Emby by going to Admin Dash -> Users -> Your user.

image.png.d4c8ea7b84e84d007154509ca3444e0b.png

• In DSM, go to Shared Folders, select your media folder, and then select edit. You should see an option to enable a recycle bin.

image.thumb.png.cbe6820da8e9e003f25cc8070579a642.png

• Utilize a tool like Hyper Backup or Active Backup for Business to automatically back up your media to either the cloud, or another file system you have.

This is a bitter experience!  I've turned off media deletion from emby.

Anyway thanks so much for your help!