Photo directory can't be used as a emby folder source

RonV42

RonV42

Updated to DSM 7 and started to use the Synology Photos app.  I have about 10 years of photos there now using the "shared space" and want Emby to be able to play though them since all my family members share that directory in the Photo app.  When attempting to set the folder to the subfolder that I made in the Photo's app Emby cannot see into that directory.  When looking at the security settings I set the permissions for the share to Emby's system account that it runs under:
image.png.a4e2380074268583088a18c8e64a81ff.png

But the permissions on the folders below the share are not accessible by Emby.  For example I have \volume1\photo\<my folder> and Emby can't see into it. Looking a the permissions of the folder from file station is see:

And then below that the subfolders don't have the normal permission panel:image.png.eabb7d919f09da22562b204d23196b77.png

Anyone have idea's on how to give he Emby account permissions to these folders?

Edited by RonV42
Fixed a image

mikeraburn

That seems to be the main thing a lot of us are forgetting.

Once you know the SYSTEM INTERNAL USER you are golden.

If there is a new wiki written, I would remind us about the SYSTEM INTERNAL USER in every paragraph!!!

Happy2Play
4 hours ago, mikeraburn said:

That seems to be the main thing a lot of us are forgetting.

Once you know the SYSTEM INTERNAL USER you are golden.

If there is a new wiki written, I would remind us about the SYSTEM INTERNAL USER in every paragraph!!!

It is in the Migration instructions topic but I guess it could be bolded or add image. @cayars

But the image above clearly shows Shared Folder Photo "system internal user" or am I missing something?

@RonV42 Could it be this?

add emby user and emby group to your shared media folder in Synology 

RonV42

Emby been working fine since I did the update to DSM the week it came out for all other folders expect for photo. Actually the security for "photo" is not the same as user created shares.  All my other folders are working fine except for the Synolgoy photo directory "/volume1/photo".  I was able to solve this by adding emby into the Synolgoy system group administrators:

sysnogroup -get administrators

This lists out all the accounts in the group administrators:

Group Name: [administrators]
Group Type: [AUTH_LOCAL]
Group ID:   [101]
Group Members:
0:[admin]

There is only one member of "admin" so being very carful to use the: 

synogroup -member administrators admin emby

Which now configured the administrators group with  "admin" and "emby"

synogroup -get administrators

Now it shows both accounts in the group:

Group Name: [administrators]
Group Type: [AUTH_LOCAL]
Group ID:   [101]
Group Members:
0:[admin]
1:[emby]

After doing that and selecting the /volume1/photo directly in a Family Photos library it indexed them just fine.

Edited by RonV42
typo
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I've added emby to the administrators using SSH 

image.png.d231cbea98720632b2fc6b220d1a9734.png

I've added a new library Foto's in which I would like to see all the pictures from the photo library

image.thumb.png.fa02193808c670ba46046408e6371e1b.png

But after scanning library files the folder is still empty.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Correction: After restarting DSM completely the scanning of the Foto's library started and completed succesfully 🙂

Edited by KrieckG
Solution found

Still one question. 
Is it possible to set access in a way Emby can read/write files in the photo folder but can't delete files (accidently)?

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, KrieckG said:

Still one question. 
Is it possible to set access in a way Emby can read/write files in the photo folder but can't delete files (accidently)?

No as those permissions will allow delete.  But you do not have to give users access to delete as there are per user "Allow Media Deletion From" options.