Windows emby theater connection failure

Super1
Go to solution Solved by Super1,

Super1

Hello 

I have tried both microsoft store app and the one on your sitefor windows. I successfully login to server via port and domain and i see the server but when i try to connect it says "connection failure, we re unable to connect to selected server. Ensure it is running". 

I must say that i am using selfsigned certificate and it may be a problem which you already fixed for me once on the android app in topic "Continue watching" endless loading"

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/98351-continue-watching-endless-loading/

Hi, can you try plain http to compare? If it is certificate related we do not have a whole lot of ability to override this like we do on android.

Hi, you really should get rid of the self signed cert as that will likely always have problems with different OS/Devices/TVs.

You can get free SSL certs and use free shared domains or can purchase a domain to use and have complete control over the URL.
This will save you a lot of grief over time and should just work.

Super1
On 8/6/2021 at 8:57 PM, Luke said:

Hi, can you try plain http to compare? If it is certificate related we do not have a whole lot of ability to override this like we do on android.

Ok i will try http. Also wanted to add that if i watch in browser transcoding happends because "media bitrate exeeds limit". Is it possible to make it play without transcoding like with some other browser? Currently using firefox

Super1
On 8/8/2021 at 4:56 PM, Luke said:

If that is the transcoding reason, then check your in app quality setting.

When you say in app quality do you mean emby in browser quality or on server settings. Btw i have disabled secure connection https and even tried to connect locally with emby theater on windows and it says that its unable to connect and to check if the server is even running

Hi, On that device you're playing back on, click on your user (menu) and then Playback menu.

There you will find the setting to adjust the quality.

Edited by cayars

Super1

I see now that you mean i can adjust quality when its transcoding i tought i could stop transcoding and get original. 

I have put h264 encoding very slow on server and and with i5 cpu 4 core 3.8Ghz i can maintain H264 encoding CRF 10 which gives me almoste flawless quality except i can sometimes still see a square turn weird but i guess if browser doesnt support formats there is no other way. 

Super1
On 8/14/2021 at 6:20 AM, Luke said:

@Super1 has this helped?

Are you refering to windows app? Coz i still cannot select server after logging in.

Do you suggest using emby theater or should i keep using browser?

8 hours ago, Super1 said:

I see now that you mean i can adjust quality when its transcoding i tought i could stop transcoding and get original. 

I have put h264 encoding very slow on server and and with i5 cpu 4 core 3.8Ghz i can maintain H264 encoding CRF 10 which gives me almoste flawless quality except i can sometimes still see a square turn weird but i guess if browser doesnt support formats there is no other way. 

CRF 10 is a crazy number to use for real-time encoding IMHO.  I would try starting at 20 and gradually lower it as needed.  I would doubt you need to drop below 16 to 18.

Do you not have hardware encoding you can use?

Super1
On 8/15/2021 at 6:36 PM, cayars said:

CRF 10 is a crazy number to use for real-time encoding IMHO.  I would try starting at 20 and gradually lower it as needed.  I would doubt you need to drop below 16 to 18.

Do you not have hardware encoding you can use?

CRF 10 works just fine altough cpu is 100% used but i dont use that computer for other than emby server and as mining rig so the gpu is doing mining work

But why? At that CRF you're just producing large files that likely don't really look any better than CRF 18 for 95%+ of media.

Actually the default of 23 isn't bad at all for most use.
Sane values are considered to be between 18 and 28.

Super1
9 hours ago, cayars said:

But why? At that CRF you're just producing large files that likely don't really look any better than CRF 18 for 95%+ of media.

Actually the default of 23 isn't bad at all for most use.
Sane values are considered to be between 18 and 28.

I use only high quality media. The least quality i get is 1080 10bit HDR. And as i saied at CRF 10 it gives me almost flawless quality except i can sometimes still see a square turn weird 

Is you media mostly stored as HEVC or AVC?
What's the reason you typically have to transcode?
Are you using hardware transcoding or just software?

Super1
2 hours ago, cayars said:

Is you media mostly stored as HEVC or AVC?
What's the reason you typically have to transcode?
Are you using hardware transcoding or just software?

Only software coz gpu is crypto mining. Reason for transcoding is because of subtitles or the reason i saied in this fourm: media bitrate exeeds limit

Emby of course is very flexible in this regard to allow you to set the CRF with a value that works for you, so if CRF 10 is what you like then so be it.

With that said what you're doing seems a bit counter productive to me.  Short of having a client that can't play back the HEVC video codec like many browsers the typical reason you will need to transcode is due to bitrate.  In this case since the HEVC will get transcoded to AVC you want to "lighten" the bitrate needed or you'll end up with a low CRF setting but a max limit on allowed bitrate.

The higher the CRF value the more compression being applied which is generally what you want for best overall quality when the reason the for the transcode is bitrate related.

You of course are free to use what you like but I'd try a setting of 18 which for most media shouldn't show much visual difference at all and may actually look better depending on circumstance and reason for transcode.

Something to keep in mind is that a real-time conversion isn't going to produce the same results as an offline conversion with look ahead and 2 pass encoding so you will want to base your CRF value in Emby based on trial and error testing of real world conditions basing your decision on both bitrate needed and quality of video produced.  You will also want to check the ffmpeg log files when testing to see if Emby over ruled your settings as well with any limits that could apply.

Most people will use a CRF of 23 which is the default and a good all around number. At 18 you've basically hit a wall of diminishing returns where a lower number likely isn't worth using for AVC across the board.

Super1
4 hours ago, cayars said:

Emby of course is very flexible in this regard to allow you to set the CRF with a value that works for you, so if CRF 10 is what you like then so be it.

With that said what you're doing seems a bit counter productive to me.  Short of having a client that can't play back the HEVC video codec like many browsers the typical reason you will need to transcode is due to bitrate.  In this case since the HEVC will get transcoded to AVC you want to "lighten" the bitrate needed or you'll end up with a low CRF setting but a max limit on allowed bitrate.

The higher the CRF value the more compression being applied which is generally what you want for best overall quality when the reason the for the transcode is bitrate related.

You of course are free to use what you like but I'd try a setting of 18 which for most media shouldn't show much visual difference at all and may actually look better depending on circumstance and reason for transcode.

Something to keep in mind is that a real-time conversion isn't going to produce the same results as an offline conversion with look ahead and 2 pass encoding so you will want to base your CRF value in Emby based on trial and error testing of real world conditions basing your decision on both bitrate needed and quality of video produced.  You will also want to check the ffmpeg log files when testing to see if Emby over ruled your settings as well with any limits that could apply.

Most people will use a CRF of 23 which is the default and a good all around number. At 18 you've basically hit a wall of diminishing returns where a lower number likely isn't worth using for AVC across the board.

Ok tnx i didnt know that. I ll set it on 18. You saied many Browsers dont support hevc. Do any? I mostly use android so transcoding doesnt happend through app but on windows i have troubles with that coz as i saied i cant login to app. So if there is a browser that supports it my problem would be solved. I have tried chrome, edge and firefox

Some of the new Chromium browsers like the beta EDGE browser.

You likely have to make a config change or two.  I believe a quick google search would find this info but I'm sure someone here could point you in the right direction or I could find this info for you.

Super1
On 8/20/2021 at 11:07 PM, cayars said:

Some of the new Chromium browsers like the beta EDGE browser.

You likely have to make a config change or two.  I believe a quick google search would find this info but I'm sure someone here could point you in the right direction or I could find this info for you.

I would be very gratefull if you would. In the mean time i will also try to find it

• Solution
Super1

I have solved the problem using: 

Edge with no flag configs but i had to download

HEVC Extension version 31823 download link: https://www.free-codecs.com/hevc_video_extension_download.htm

It has to be that version because later versions make the videos stutter ALOT

With this i can watch on edge browser without transcoding

Thank you for all the help. good job on the great emby software. 

Keep up the good work

• Like 1