Emby app on Nvidia Shield and Amazon Fire suddenly no longer connect

sebranger

sebranger

Hi, my Emby setup worked great until a couple of days ago when it just stopped working.  I run my server on a windows machine that I haven't touched for months, so I didn't do any weird update (I think)... I then access my content via 2 Nvidia shields and 1 amazon Fire stick (so 3 TVs in all), and none of them now connect to my server. 

When I launch Emby on any of those devices, I see the little wheel turn until it gets to a screen showing (1) my server, (2) other options and (3) login with connect.  This is new as usually it would just go to my Emby "homepage".   Trying anything with either of those 3 options leads to nothing.  I've tried putting in both my server in-home LAN and remote (wan) access numbers, to no avail.  On my server, Emby shows as running and up to date.   I've tried reloading and rebooting everything.  No go. 

Help would be greatly appreciated! 

Cheers,

Seb 

sebranger

.. just figured it out.. I had public firewall ON in Windows Defender.. turned it off and everything's fine.  I supposed that's the solution?  Or is there a way to have public firewall and Emby still working?

8 hours ago, sebranger said:

.. just figured it out.. I had public firewall ON in Windows Defender.. turned it off and everything's fine.  I supposed that's the solution?  Or is there a way to have public firewall and Emby still working?

Hi. Do you mean you had indicated you were on a "Public" network?  If so, the firewall will block most things by default.  If it is a private network in your house, you should be sure and indicate it as "Private".

sebranger

I had it on for both private and public.  It's a private network in my house only.  Turning off the public firewall fixed everything.  I will look into just opening the ports but I'm pretty sure I already did that.  The only difference since then was turning on the firewall for "public" a few days ago as per a notification that popped up in Windows... if that can be kept turned off, then great, no need for me to go down the rabbit hole trying to figure out the port opening, etc.