Roku app won't remote connect

bcm00re

bcm00re

I tried both manually and using Emby connect and no dice either way.  Using the same wifi my phone works just fine.  Trying Emby connect it just spins forever (going on 8 minutes now) and trying the manual connect repeatedly says my password is wrong when I just used it on my phone (so I know I have it right).  This used to work with Roku so something has changed.  Sorry I cannot supply logs because I am not at home.

bcm00re

I tried removing all the servers then did Emby connect but after logging in on a browser on my phone (where it said pin accepted) the Roku then go to a screen asking me to manually login?  WTH did I just do the Emby connect thing (with the pin) for then!?!

bcm00re

And when I do try to do the manual login it tells me my password (the one I just used with Emby connect) is wrong.  

pwhodges

By "manual login" do you mean logging in directly to the server as opposed to using Emby Connect?  Because those are different logins to different places and naturally have different passwords unless you went to the trouble of creating them with the same password.

Paul

10 hours ago, bcm00re said:

Using the same wifi my phone works just fine

Hi. Wifi would not be remote.

Are you sure you have properly configured your system for remote access?

Connectivity

bcm00re
18 minutes ago, ebr said:

Are you sure you have properly configured your system for remote access?

Connectivity

I have connected remotely using this Roku in the past.  I verified I have "allow remote connections to the server" checked.  And I can connect remotely to my Emby server just fine using the Emby app on my phone.  So the only difference is Emby Roku app versus the Emby android app.  It appears there is an issue with the current Emby Roku app when it comes to remote connections using Emby Connect.

Edited by bcm00re

bcm00re
19 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi. Wifi would not be remote.

I believe it is when the wifi I am using is 500+ miles from my server (and thus not the same network) -- or am I somehow mistaken?

bcm00re
5 hours ago, pwhodges said:

By "manual login" do you mean logging in directly to the server as opposed to using Emby Connect?  Because those are different logins to different places and naturally have different passwords unless you went to the trouble of creating them with the same password.

Paul

Thanks, I didn't realize they were different.  I have always used Emby Connect in the past, but for some reason it doesn't appear to be working on the Roku app right now. :(

2 minutes ago, bcm00re said:

I believe it is when the wifi I am using is 500+ miles from my server (and thus not the same network) -- or am I somehow mistaken?

Okay, all you said was "wifi" so that was not clear.  Can you please go over exactly what you are doing and what is happening?

Thanks.

bcm00re
14 hours ago, ebr said:

Okay, all you said was "wifi" so that was not clear.  Can you please go over exactly what you are doing and what is happening?

Thanks.

When I select "sign in with Emby Connect" in the Emby Roku app, it takes to to a screen with a pin and says to go login using a browser.  I use my phone to go where it says and enter my login, password, and the aforementioned pin and it says "pun accepted, thank you".  Then the Roku app takes me back to the screen where I had just selected "sign in with Emby connect".  So despite the browser saying all is good, the Roku app appears to not be accepting the Emby connect login.  The Emby app on the Roku is 4.0.31 and my server version is 4.6.4.0.

If I try to add the server manually (via Add Server in the Emby Roku app) that doesn't seem to work either, but someone says that is a different login and password for that -- but I don't know where/how to determine what that one is.  I tried the info I use to login to this forum (which I thought was my online account) but it says "invalid username or password. Please try again".

In the past using this exact same Roku all I had to do was login with Emby Connect but that appears broken currently for Roku.  I know my server is fine because I can connect via my phone.  It very frustrating that Emby Connect no longer works on Roku because I had planned to get caught up watching the Olympics during the evening while on vacay this week.

Edited by bcm00re

bcm00re
21 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Paul

So what is the "manual login" to the server one?  It says its the online [emby] account which I thought was what I use to login to this forum -- but that doesn't work either. 

pwhodges

To use Emby, you connect to the computer it is running on, specifying the ports it is using; you then log in specifying the user set up at your server, and its password.

OR that login is linked to Emby Connect (which is at Emby), after which you can make your initial connection to Emby Connect (with the same login as this forum) which then does the other things for you so that you end up connected to your server the same way, but without having to remember the details.

Sometimes the link between your account in your server and Emby Connect gets broken, and needs to be fixed by removing it and re-establishing it.  These are actions you do on the user account in your server (or your server's administrator does for you).

Paul

9 hours ago, bcm00re said:

but I don't know where/how to determine what that one is.

In your server dashboard "Users" setup area, there are users created there.  One of them is attached to your Emby Connect account via the "Optional Emby Connect" field.  That user name would be the local user name and you may or may not have setup a password for that local user as well.  However, your Connect password should work too.

Given that, it sounds like something is blocking the Roku from accessing your server remotely.   Can you PM me the connection details (Server IP and port) for your server so I can test if it is accessible?

bcm00re
On 8/5/2021 at 8:15 AM, ebr said:

Can you PM me the connection details (Server IP and port) for your server so I can test if it is accessible?

PM sent...thanks again.

bcm00re
On 8/5/2021 at 8:15 AM, ebr said:

In your server dashboard "Users" setup area, there are users created there.  One of them is attached to your Emby Connect account via the "Optional Emby Connect" field.  That user name would be the local user name and you may or may not have setup a password for that local user as well.  However, your Connect password should work too.

The only user I see there is the name of my server, and I don't recall ever setting up anything there.  That said, it sounds like if Emby Connect was working properly then I wouldn't need to, correct?

25 minutes ago, bcm00re said:

The only user I see there is the name of my server,

So you created a user with the same name as your server?  And you only have that one user?

Your server is accessible and no users are visible on the login screen (which is fine).  Try going to that user, removing the Emby Connect email and saving and then re-entering it and saving.  Then try logging in again.

bcm00re
6 minutes ago, ebr said:

So you created a user with the same name as your server?  And you only have that one user?

Your server is accessible and no users are visible on the login screen (which is fine).  Try going to that user, removing the Emby Connect email and saving and then re-entering it and saving.  Then try logging in again.

I didn't setup anything there per se -- it was just already there.  It didn't have any email listed.  So I entered my Emby Connect one then saved.  Now when I go to the Roku app I see my account name.  I tried selecting it but the circle in the middle of the screen (on the Roku app) has just been spinning for going on 5 minutes now -- so something still seems amiss. :( Going to exit out and try again...