Google TV/Shield search is global

westhill

westhill

I just got a Sony TV with Google (Android) TV and I have a 2017 Shield that was recently upgraded to the 'new experience' look and feel. I am a novice when it comes to Android TV.

When I search for a title in either the TV or Shield app it performs a global search and looks beyond the Emby app and suggests titles form streaming services. It does not return titles are in the Emby server. Is this some setting I have missed that is allowing this to happen? When I search on my Android phone or PC app it searches only with the content I have on my local Emby server. I have Premiere if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Hi, this sounds like you might be pushing the mic button on the remote vs using the Emby search.

Try going up to the top row in Emby where the magnifying glass/search is located and using that.

Hi.  Yes, it sounds like you are using the Google Assistant search.  If you enable that for Emby in the device settings, you will get Emby results as well but, if you really just want to search in Emby, then use the search icon at the top of the page.

Please let us know if this answers your question.

westhill

Thank you. I tried on my Shield box to disable voice search for Emby and used the search within Emby as I had previously done and Search prompts for permission to access the mic for voice search. If I disable voice search for Emby, it stays within the Emby for search results.

Then I tried on my Google TV that still has mic access enabled and when I initially select search within Emby it lands on the voice search screen and if I do a voice search it shows me results that do not include Emby, only the streamers. If I click into the search box and type I am contained with Emby (my desired behaviour).

So, disable the voice search for Emby then? Or continue to click into the search box?

Thanks!

westhill
4 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, this sounds like you might be pushing the mic button on the remote vs using the Emby search.

Try going up to the top row in Emby where the magnifying glass/search is located and using that.

Yes, this is what I was doing. when Voice search is used I do not get Emby results, even if using the Emby search icon at the top right of screen.

If you're using the Emby search you shouldn't get results that aren't from Emby.

westhill
1 minute ago, cayars said:

If you're using the Emby search you shouldn't get results that aren't from Emby.

I am clicking on search with Emby, a search box pops up with the focus on the microphone, the search box to the right says 'speak to search. If I do this I get Google Assistant results from the streamers, if I click to the right and go into the search box and type I get results from within Emby.

westhill
4 minutes ago, cayars said:

BTW, on the Shield TV you do not touch the mic button.

Nope, not touching the mic button. If I do then I get Google Assistant results instead and they do not include any titles from within Emby.

15 minutes ago, westhill said:

I am clicking on search with Emby, a search box pops up with the focus on the microphone, the search box to the right says 'speak to search. If I do this I get Google Assistant results from the streamers, if I click to the right and go into the search box and type I get results from within Emby.

This is strange.

What version of the app are you running?

westhill

Under settings I see two version. Bottom left shows my NAS name and 4.6.2.0 and bottom right is version: 2.0.09g Registered

37 minutes ago, westhill said:

Hi. Are you 100% certain of that?  You can use your voice to speak text into the Emby search screen and you will only get Emby results.  However, if a panel is sliding up from the bottom of the screen, that is the global assistant.

I just used my voice to say "Tom Cruise" and got these results - only from Emby. 

image.png

westhill
1 hour ago, cayars said:

Left side is server and right side is the app version.  So that's 2.0.0.9 Google version.

You could try a beta version of the app which you can find info for here:
https://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/123-android/

Great, thanks for the suggestion although it was user error so I will stick with the version I am running for the time being

westhill
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi. Are you 100% certain of that?  You can use your voice to speak text into the Emby search screen and you will only get Emby results.  However, if a panel is sliding up from the bottom of the screen, that is the global assistant.

I just used my voice to say "Tom Cruise" and got these results - only from Emby. 

image.png

My bad, you are correct if I just use voice on that main search screen I can voice search within Emby, when I landed on that search page and it was promoting for voice search, I clicked on the Google voice search button thinking this was was the only way to activate voice search.

New to this so thanks for the quick replies, suggestions and help.