Can't use seekbar with remote on shield

MattEmby21

MattEmby21

Hey, I'm pretty new to Emby but it's been great on the server/windows side of things. The one thing I haven't enjoyed is the androidTV app interface which feels pretty dated..although the functionality is perfect. I replaced it with the mobile app, set display to TV and set it to horizontal mode which looks great. The one thing I can't seem to do is use the seekbar with a remote control or access chapters like in the androidTV app by pressing up (using shield pro). I can only access the skip buttons unless I use an air mouse, is this expected behaviour? The solution I found was to launch an external player but then I lose my watch history. If using the seek bar/chapter thumbnails with a control isn't supported, could this possibly be added? That would round it off perfectly!

Yes, unfortunately the control for Android vs TV version are a bit different.

Any reason you don't want to use the ATV version designed for Shield?

MattEmby21

@cayars  I personally prefer the horizontal home screen as it gives you a nice quick overview with minimal scrolling. Having the library names as text at the top feels much nicer than the ATV large/small versions.

find the ATV app has large spacing between posters and the labels having year and age rating makes it feel unclear, this would be better just as the title and centered. The ATV spacing also makes the poster much smaller than the mobile app even though they both display the same amount per row. On my 50inch screen ATV has 4cm x 7.5cm spacing and the mobile version has 2cm x 5.5cm spacing. Something about this spacing makes the ATV posters feel really rounded to me..even though I'm sure the round corners distance is the same for both apps. I think it would be nice to be able to disable round corners and adjust the spacing of posters within a set range (no gap when enlarged to what it is now).

As for the mobile app, I think it's really clean and user friendly for the most part. If it could get seek bar function using a control (with thumbnails), chapter selection (like ATV up on D pad), round corners toggle and maybe the ability to enlarge the home screen (some wasted space below widgets and above library names) then it would..in my eyes atleast be the perfect client app.

I also tried Kodi with the Emby add-on which looks and works great but only being able to have a movie in one set at a time destroyed my organisation. I also found it was really slow to generate the dynamic widgets like continue watching.

The other big reason for using the mobile app is consistency for other users. If someone is coming from theater on desktop then the mobile app is immediately familiar. This makes it all feel much more professional in my opinion.

Well..that was a mouth full but hopefully its helpful.

@Luke  that's good to hear! do you guys have a Trello or something of the sort so users can follow planned features/progress?

Thanks for the quick responses.

• Like 1

No Trello but you can track the feature requests section of the community here.