"Continue Watching" displays wrong episode

tomnjerry74
Go to solution Solved by vdatanet,

tomnjerry74

Synology DS1019+ running 4.6.4.0 (DSM7)

With the below picture taken into account, the "Continue Watching" section on the home screen should have the episode "6. Death Ship", as it is paused in the middle. However, this episode does not appear in the Continue Watching, and is replaced by the middle episode "5. Mute" instead.

To replicate this:

1. Have a television season with at least three episodes.
  2. Mark the first episode as played.
  3. Skip the second episode and watch some of the third.
  4. After pausing the third episode, note that it doesn't display in the "Continue Watching" section, despite belonging there.

unnamed.thumb.png.944b9397d97f8a37327628c60ec4e85f.png

vdatanet

Next up is merged with continue watching. Next Up shows next unwatched episode after latest watched episode. You can try to enable "Continue Watching (Legacy)". Then you will have:

- Episode 6 in Continue Watching

- Episode 5 in Next Up

• Like 2

tomnjerry74
40 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

Next up is merged with continue watching. Next Up shows next unwatched episode after latest watched episode. You can try to enable "Continue Watching (Legacy)". Then you will have:

- Episode 6 in Continue Watching

- Episode 5 in Next Up

Thank you for the response.

Unfortunately I just tried switching from Continue Watching to Next Up (Legacy) and the result is the same.

• Solution
vdatanet

Look at this show. Episode 9 is unwatched and Episode 10 is partially watched:

534566972_Capturadepantalla2021-07-25alas17_34_39.png.54e0cb2fe0b4f7a50fa1e7a3561fab31.png

Merged Continue Watching row is like this. Episode 9 is first unwatched episode.

969935278_Capturadepantalla2021-07-25alas17_34_18.png.bba172a53659e9f894f8c429098398c1.png

If you enable Continue Watching (Legacy), then you have Episode 10 in Continue Watching and Episode 9 in Next Up:

2115658247_Capturadepantalla2021-07-25alas17_35_07.png.36f9fc4da43cf7873c3ec96f2ef46d20.png

Legend:

Continuar viendo = Continue Watching

A continuación = Next Up

906208113_Capturadepantalla2021-07-25alas17_40_59.png.608f0ff00954c2cd783f51c541b2b8ae.png

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

tomnjerry74

@vdatanet

Thank you, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain.

I can confirm this "works", however I think this set-up is a bit convoluted and might benefit from being reworked.

For instance:

In the scenario outlined above, maybe the server should default to displaying the oldest episode that is currently in the middle of being watched. When there are none, then display the oldest unwatched episode. This would eliminate the need for the "legacy" option altogether and makes the most sense, as media that hasn't been finished should always take priority.

vdatanet
2 minutes ago, tomnjerry74 said:

@vdatanet

Thank you, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain.

I can confirm this "works", however I think this set-up is a bit convoluted and might benefit from being reworked.

For instance:

In the scenario outlined above, maybe the server should default to displaying the oldest episode that is currently in the middle of being watched. When there are none, then display the oldest unwatched episode. This would eliminate the need for the "legacy" option altogether and makes the most sense, as media that hasn't been finished should always take priority.

You can do a feature request like "When merging "Continue Watching" with "Next Up", for a show that is in both two rows, "Continue Watching" episode must prevail." and see what users and developers think.

• Like 1

To replicate this:

1. Have a television season with at least three episodes.
  2. Mark the first episode as played.
  3. Skip the second episode and watch some of the third.
  4. After pausing the third episode, note that it doesn't display in the "Continue Watching" section, despite belonging there.

Yes this is the ideal. We'll take a look. Thanks.