Can't see Japanese episodes

eobetdisajn

Happy2Play
2 hours ago, eobetdisajn said:

Unchained Love 2022 S1EP06.1080p.WEB-DL AAC x264 - ANDY

The conflict of trying to support/parse everyone's mystery naming schemes as "S1EP06" is an unknowing naming scheme and parsed "2022" as Season/Episode number.

In the end it will come back to already documents supported naming schemes.

Episode naming conventions

• Agree 1

eobetdisajn
11 hours ago, pwhodges said:

is not one of Emby's formats either

I find it fascinating that a small media server with an obvious primary use thinks it can dictate how the entire internet using world should format its filenames.

Again, some pseudo code which would fix this:

Find numbers in filename
	Does it appear to be a year?
		If so, skip that for now and see if you can find other numbers
			Is the number(s) close to another number(s)?
				You probably found the season and episode
			Otherwise it's still probably an episode number...

Oh, and even if the above fails you could still look to see is there more than one file in the directory and if so, do these files contain numbers which are one integer apart? Congratulations, you just 100% successfully found the episode formatting! No need to hide any episode from the user.

Edited by eobetdisajn

rbjtech

or alternatively, name the files to the kodi standard that has been recognised by all media apps (not just emby) for the last 15-20 years - funnily enough - the same standard that all the metadata providers also use ...

Why would emby want to go down the rabbit hole of 'guessing' your filenames ?

Name the files correctly - it doesn't have to be 100% compliant.

• Agree 1

eobetdisajn
7 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

kodi standard

It's very arrogant that you think that Japanese or Chinese people would recognize that as a standard.

Edited by eobetdisajn

pwhodges

It's a "standard" only in that it is used by the programs of this type that we know of.   Of course, if there are other media servers that work with different requirements, you're free to use them instead.

After all, it's also arrogant to expect a widely used program to make significant non-trivial changes because you're not prepared to use it in the way it was designed.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges
  • Agree 1

eobetdisajn
20 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

significant non-trivial changes

What makes you think it's significant? String matching is an old, known field and the solution could be trivial and would not just increase the UX, but perhaps also the adoption rate in Asian countries.

But you got one thing right, I will look for other media servers!

Edited by eobetdisajn

pwhodges

String matching is somewhat trivial - meeting conflicting requirements to match both established patterns and different patterns requested by others (including you) is quite another matter.  But perhaps you could start by providing an actual full and detailed specification of what patterns you wish to be accepted - without that no progress is likely, and such a specification could then be examined for conflicts with existing specifications.

Paul

eobetdisajn
18 hours ago, pwhodges said:

perhaps you could start by providing an actual full and detailed specification of what patterns you wish to be accepted

I already did provide two pseudo code algorithms above. A developer looking at that would have no problem understanding it. Heck, it could probably all be done in one Regex!

On 1/1/2023 at 5:51 AM, eobetdisajn said:

I find it fascinating that a small media server with an obvious primary use thinks it can dictate how the entire internet using world should format its filenames.

Again, some pseudo code which would fix this:

Find numbers in filename
	Does it appear to be a year?
		If so, skip that for now and see if you can find other numbers
			Is the number(s) close to another number(s)?
				You probably found the season and episode
			Otherwise it's still probably an episode number...

Oh, and even if the above fails you could still look to see is there more than one file in the directory and if so, do these files contain numbers which are one integer apart? Congratulations, you just 100% successfully found the episode formatting! No need to hide any episode from the user.

Hi, we're not trying to dictate anything, however it's not possible to just magically support any file naming so that's why we have a list of supported naming schemes.

We're happy to add more to the list whenever we learn that there are other commonly used naming schemes out there.

eobetdisajn
23 hours ago, Luke said:

just magically support

I can't believe a "system architect" just wrote that. So in other words, you use hard coding as much as possible. Great architecture! Even if I my pseudo code (which I wrote in 2 minutes) is flawed, did you read what I wrote in bold? Can you think of any file naming scheme which that doesn't support? And you still think hard coding is better? Well in that case, just oof.

On 1/3/2023 at 10:32 AM, eobetdisajn said:

I can't believe a "system architect" just wrote that. So in other words, you use hard coding as much as possible. Great architecture! Even if I my pseudo code (which I wrote in 2 minutes) is flawed, did you read what I wrote in bold? Can you think of any file naming scheme which that doesn't support? And you still think hard coding is better? Well in that case, just oof.

Sometimes the season number is a year. Without conventions, it's hard to know if you should ignore the year or not. And then there are also both episodes and series that sometimes have numbers in the title, or the title is just a number by itself. There's just a lot of variables at play.

eobetdisajn
23 hours ago, Luke said:

Sometimes the season number is a year. Without conventions, it's hard to know if you should ignore the year or not. And then there are also both episodes and series that sometimes have numbers in the title, or the title is just a number by itself. There's just a lot of variables at play.

So when there's X files in a folder where X is more than one, and filename A contains the number N and filename B contains the number N+1, C contains N+2 and so on... where is the ambiguity?

Edited by eobetdisajn

• 1 month later...

Yea interesting ideas but currently each episode gets evaluated independently rather than in conjunction with the other files in the folder. 

But I do have some good news for you, we'll add support for the P you're using here for the next release:

S1EP06

Thanks.