Emby app for android TV - Grey screen when playing Mkv files

MadisonM

MadisonM

I have an android TV running Android 10. I have the Emby android app 2.2.09g installed.  When I play mp4, avi, I have no problems.  I can even play mkv files that  have dts, or dolby digital audio.  However mkv files with AAC produce a Grey screen, or a paused video.  The only way I can get the videos to play is to go to settings and select the playback correction option.  For all AAC videos I have to do this twice to force transcoding.  

In attempt to understand what was causing this I opened a browser and opened the web app to try to duplicate the problem.  In the web app, all played fine even all Mkv with AAC files.  However in the web app, I could not get subtitles to play.  

I would really like to utilize the android TV app, so am wondering if there is anything I can do, 'maybe change some settungs' to get videos to play.  I've been fiddling with the setting for two weeks now and have come up with nothing.  If a log file is needed, I can replicate the error, download and send.  

Thanks! 

Hi.  Please also follow the instructions in that link to send a log from the app right after the problem occurs.  Thanks.

MadisonM

Hello, I tried to get a log file from when I press play and the picture frame is frozen, but one is not created. I was able to upload the log after forcing the transcode.  I also added a series of pics starting with when I press play and the video freezes, thru going to settings and initiating video correction.  Once again.. The video is frozen until transcode is forced.  

On this particular video, a frozen Fram of the video is displayed. On other movies or TV shows, the screen is just dark Grey without picture.  

If I need to upload any other pictures or logs.. Just let me know and I will provide. 

20210723_222844.jpg

20210723_222906.jpg

20210723_222935.jpg

20210723_222959.jpg

20210723_223023.jpg

20210723_223043.jpg

20210723_223110.jpg

20210723_223119.jpg

20210723_202033.jpg

ffmpeg-transcode-c7656a42-fd12-44ca-b487-1f7884c3fcf2_1.txt embyserver.txt

Did you send the log from the app?  If so, can you provide the info about that which is outlined in those instructions please?

Also, why do there appear to be two playback OSDs on that video?

MadisonM

Hello, I tried to get a log file from when I press play and the picture frame is frozen, but one is not created. I was able to upload the log after forcing the transcode.  I also added a series of pics starting with when I press play and the video freezes, thru going to settings and initiating video correction.  Once again.. The video is frozen until transcode is forced.  

On this particular video, a frozen Fram of the video is displayed. On other movies or TV shows, the screen is just dark Grey without picture.  

If I need to upload any other pictures or logs.. Just let me know and I will provide. 

MadisonM

Hello, the log files were attached and posted in my last response with the pictures.  

As far as on osd, I'm not quite sure what you mean. I just opened the video, tried playing it and took a picture to show what I was seeing each time I moved from, pressing play, all the way thru to forcing a transcode. 

In regard to following steps in the link.  I thought I did as requested.  Maybe I missed understood. I will go back, reread and figure what I missed to ensure you get what is needed so that you can better guide me. 

MadisonM
28 minutes ago, ebr said:

Did you send the log from the app?  If so, can you provide the info about that which is outlined in those instructions please?

Also, why do there appear to be two playback OSDs on that video?

OK. I just went back into the video, pressed play. When I did the video was frozen like it was paused. I went to setting and sent the log file. After doing this I went back and selected playback correction. This activated remix. In remux, the video was still in the same position paused. I went ahead and submitted a second log after this option failed. Last, I went back and selected playback correction for a second time. The playback type changes to transcode and the video started playing.  After it started playing I submitted the log file again. 

I hope that was the correct procedure for you to get the logs and see what is happening. 

Hi, the problem could be because this is an HLG HDR file which is a fractioned version of HDR-10 and likely not supported, so Emby fails trying to transcode it.

MadisonM

Thank you for the quick response. So I have about 3000 movies and 1500 TV series.. and this is a problem with about 80 percent of my collection. 

The videos and TV series plays fine on all other devices and tv's. Even thru the web browser.  Is this something that's is on agenda as an update to try and fix on the Android TV app, or is my only recourse for solution going to be a painful adventure of converting my collection to another more favorable format?

Thanjs again for looking at this for me. 

GrimReaper

While waiting for a (potential) fix, you might try using external player for those problematic files, see how does that compare? 

pünktchen
2 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, the problem could be because this is an HLG HDR file which is a fractioned version of HDR-10 and likely not supported, so Emby fails trying to transcode it.

It's 8bit SDR!

• Like 1

MadisonM
42 minutes ago, pünktchen said:

It's 8bit SDR!

You are a scientist talking to a 2 year old.  I won't pretend to act like I know what difference that makes.  Could you explain a little more in detail what problems 8bit SDR is causing, or better yet, why it's causing problems. 

pünktchen

It doesn't cause any problems! I just wanted to point out that what @cayars argued as your problem root cause, "HLG" is not true.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, pünktchen said:

It doesn't cause any problems! I just wanted to point out that what @cayars argued as your problem root cause, "HLG" is not true.

Yea, your right.  I keep reading the "Explayer" section instead of the media section in SFN. :(

That section up top keeps getting me.  You think I'd know that by now, but nope, burned again. LOL

Where did these videos come from?  In your picture, it looks like there are Netflix on screen controls but you are playing in our app so I'm guessing those are somehow burned into the video.

Can you please tell me what time you sent the logs from the app and the name of the Emby user that was logged in at the time?

Thanks.

MadisonM

1 hour ago, ebr said:

Where did these videos come from?  In your picture, it looks like there are Netflix on screen controls but you are playing in our app so I'm guessing those are somehow burned into the video.

Can you please tell me what time you sent the logs from the app and the name of the Emby user that was logged in at the time?

Thanks.

The user was me, MadisonM.  

Some videos were captured from Netflix using Audials.. That's probably why you are seeing references for Netflix. The logs were Generated this morning around 8 am. 

Hi.  I think it is somehow related to the encoding of these items.

07-24 08:17:15.625 22040 22513 W MediaCodecUtil: Unknown HEVC level string: L126

Once we transcode to H264, it plays fine but the internal decoder cannot deal with this encoding of HEVC.

Can you provide a sample that @cayars can test with?

Happy to test any files provided.  You can either post a link here or send me a PM with a link to the media.

MadisonM
4 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  I think it is somehow related to the encoding of these items.

07-24 08:17:15.625 22040 22513 W MediaCodecUtil: Unknown HEVC level string: L126

Once we transcode to H264, it plays fine but the internal decoder cannot deal with this encoding of HEVC.

Can you provide a sample that @cayars can test with?

I went back to look at the settings on my recorder. Hevc was selected as opposed to H264. Let me record something with revised settings to see if this corrects the problem if it doesn't then I'll advise and provide a like to a video for further testing. 

I attached a Pic of my current settings. 20210725_134852.thumb.jpg.d10b2d24393a489ecb8376516edf74db.jpg

justinrh
On 7/24/2021 at 8:36 AM, GrimReaper76 said:

While waiting for a (potential) fix, you might try using external player for those problematic files, see how does that compare? 

How do you use an 'external player'?  Do you mean bypass Emby and use another app?

GrimReaper
5 minutes ago, justinrh said:

How do you use an 'external player'?  Do you mean bypass Emby and use another app?

In your Android TV app: Settings>Playback>Enable 'Use External Player for Videos'. 

VLC, MX Player, mpv or whatever your favorite flavor is. 

• Thanks 1

MadisonM

After playing with the settings in my capture software.. Audials. I was able to get videos captured from Netflix to play directly thru the app.  I attempted to do the same with videos from Hulu with no success.

I attached the original settings along with revised setting for information. 

In regards to using an external player. Is there a way to disable the pop-up at the end of each video asking if you want to mark played, and if you want to play the next episode?

20210725_134852.jpg

20210725_213414.jpg

MadisonM
On 7/25/2021 at 2:28 PM, MadisonM said:

I went back to look at the settings on my recorder. Hevc was selected as opposed to H264. Let me record something with revised settings to see if this corrects the problem if it doesn't then I'll advise and provide a like to a video for further testing. 

I attached a Pic of my current settings. 20210725_134852.thumb.jpg.d10b2d24393a489ecb8376516edf74db.jpg

I mad a show video for testing. How can I get it to you. Can I post it here the size is 18,498 kb? 

23 hours ago, MadisonM said:

I mad a show video for testing. How can I get it to you. Can I post it here the size is 18,498 kb? 

You can PM me and @cayars a dropbox link or the like.  Thanks.

• Agree 1