Movie not playing

Nuitarius

Nuitarius
  • Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem

I was viewing a movie I just ripped.

A nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - 1080p.mkv.

I only had the english pgssub subtitle so i downloaded a danish.srt version. After 10 minutes or so I realized the subs were made with 24fps instead of the 23.98 the movie was created in. So I stopped viewing and downloaded another version of danish.srt (from within the app).

Now I cant play the movie. I tried to continue first but it just loaded and then exited back to the app. I restarted the nvidia shield emby app and now the continue button was gone. I played it again. Same result.

I rebooted my synology nas to ensure that the emby server is not having issues. Same result.

I can easily play other movies. I can also play other vc1 format movies. Just not this one anymore.

Do you have any idea to what is happening?

• The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)

I sendt the in-app log after doing a play of file. Aprrox. 4-5 utc -5 today

• The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

Local user name Nuitarius

Edited by Nuitarius

gillmacca01

Have you tried playing the movie without subs? If it plays, then it will be a problem with the sub

Nuitarius
36 minutes ago, gillmacca01 said:

Have you tried playing the movie without subs? If it plays, then it will be a problem with the sub

Hi
I can play the movie with all the available subtitles on my PC.

On my shield I can't play it with or without subtitles anymore.

Hi.  Can we please see the server log that corresponds with this time?

07-23 11:28:47.752 26712 29149 E ExoPlayerImplInternal:   Caused by: com.google.android.exoplayer2.upstream.HttpDataSource$InvalidResponseCodeException: Response code: 500

Nuitarius
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Can we please see the server log that corresponds with this time?

07-23 11:28:47.752 26712 29149 E ExoPlayerImplInternal:   Caused by: com.google.android.exoplayer2.upstream.HttpDataSource$InvalidResponseCodeException: Response code: 500

I will do  my best :)
I have attached all 3 logs I could find from 23rd of july.

Is this what you were requesting?

hardware_detection-63762634704.txt embyserver-63762634684.txt embyserver.txt

Nuitarius

2021-07-23 11:28:46.503 Info Server: http/1.1 Response 500 to 10.75.56.144. Time: 215ms. http://10.75.56.99:8096/emby/Videos/31117/b1fd57d599d45e738bd78fa8ca808f82/Subtitles/4/0/Stream.srt
2021-07-23 11:28:47.506 Info Server: http/1.1 GET http://10.75.56.99:8096/emby/Videos/31117/b1fd57d599d45e738bd78fa8ca808f82/Subtitles/4/0/Stream.srt. Connection=Keep-Alive, Accept-Encoding=gzip, Host=10.75.56.99:8096, User-Agent=Emby/2.0.09g (Linux;Android 9) ExoPlayerLib/2.12.2
2021-07-23 11:28:47.547 Info SubtitleEncoder: ProcessRun 'ffmpeg-subtitle_convert' Execute: /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffmpeg  -sub_charenc windows-1252 -i file:"/volume2/HD2/Movies/A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)/A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - 1080p.1.da.srt" "/volume3/Emby/cache/temp/92860b4c8d5a48ef95ff6bdb9a84b582.srt"
2021-07-23 11:28:47.692 Info SubtitleEncoder: ProcessRun 'ffmpeg-subtitle_convert' Process exited with code 1
2021-07-23 11:28:47.693 Error SubtitleEncoder: ffmpeg subtitle conversion failed for /volume2/HD2/Movies/A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)/A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - 1080p.1.da.srt
2021-07-23 11:28:47.693 Error SubtitleEncoder: ProcessRun 'ffmpeg-subtitle_convert' Output:

2021-07-23 11:28:47.693 Error SubtitleEncoder: ProcessRun 'ffmpeg-subtitle_convert' Error Output:
    ffmpeg version 4.3.0-emby_2021_02_27 Copyright (c) 2000-2021 the FFmpeg developers and softworkz for Emby LLC
      built with gcc 8.3.0 (crosstool-NG 1.24.0)
    Execution Date: 2021-07-23 11:28:47
    file:/volume2/HD2/Movies/A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)/A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - 1080p.1.da.srt: Invalid data found when processing input

2021-07-23 11:28:47.752 Error Server: Error processing request
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.6.1.0
    Command line: /volume3/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /volume3/Emby -ffdetect /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffprobe -nolocalportconfig -ignore_vaapi_enabled_flag -updatepackage emby-server-synology_{version}_armv7_multi armv7 armada375 armada38x comcerto2k monaco.spk
    Operating system: Linux version 3.10.105 (root@build4) (gcc version 4.9.3 20150311 (prerelease) (crosstool-NG 1.20.0) ) #25556 SMP Thu Mar 4 17:56:56 CST 2021
    Framework: .NET Core 3.1.13
    OS/Process: arm/arm
    Runtime: volume3/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 2
    Data path: /volume3/Emby
    Application path: /volume3/@appstore/EmbyServer/system
    System.Exception: System.Exception: ffmpeg subtitle conversion failed for /volume2/HD2/Movies/A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)/A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - 1080p.1.da.srt
       at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Subtitles.SubtitleEncoder.ConvertExternalSubtitleInternal(ReadOnlyMemory`1 inputPath, ReadOnlyMemory`1 language, MediaProtocol inputProtocol, IDictionary`2 requestHeaders, String outputPath, Int64 startTimeTicks, Int64 endTimeTicks, Boolean preserveOriginalTimestamps, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Subtitles.SubtitleEncoder.ConvertExternalSubtitle(ReadOnlyMemory`1 inputPath, ReadOnlyMemory`1 language, MediaProtocol inputProtocol, IDictionary`2 requestHeaders, String outputPath, Int64 startTimeTicks, Int64 endTimeTicks, Boolean preserveOriginalTimestamps, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Subtitles.SubtitleEncoder.GetReadableFile(String mediaPath, MediaProtocol mediaSourceProtocol, IDictionary`2 requestHeaders, MediaStream subtitleStream, ReadOnlyMemory`1 outputFormat, Int64 startTimeTicks, Int64 endTimeTicks, Boolean preserveOriginalTimestamps, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Subtitles.SubtitleEncoder.GetSubtitles(String inputPath, MediaProtocol inputProtocol, IDictionary`2 requestHeaders, MediaStream subtitleStream, ReadOnlyMemory`1 outputFormat, Int64 startTimeTicks, Int64 endTimeTicks, Boolean preserveOriginalTimestamps, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at MediaBrowser.Api.Subtitles.SubtitleService.GetSubtitles(GetSubtitle request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at MediaBrowser.Api.Subtitles.SubtitleService.Get(GetSubtitle request)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceController.GetTaskResult(Task task)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, RestPath restPath, String responseContentType, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, ReadOnlyMemory`1 urlString, ReadOnlyMemory`1 localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    Source: Emby.Server.MediaEncoding
    TargetSite: Void MoveNext()

Nuitarius

I just started to look at the log myself.
I am no expert, but could not harm to try and see myself :)

It seems I have a subtitle "A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - 1080p.1.da.srt" that is invalid.
But even if I try to start the movie without any subtitle it keeps stopping. And my PC does not have this issue.

I removed the file, but kept it in case anyone wants to do further troubleshooting.
Now the movie will start. This is weird. But thanks for nudging me in the right direction.

I attached the culprit srt. Looks fine when opened in notepad. But what do I know :D

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - 1080p.1.da.srt

pwhodges

The error is in the first timestamp in line 2 - the milliseconds are delimited with a colon instead of a comma or stop.

Subtitle Edit opens it without comment, but Aegisub reports the error and its location.

Paul

• Like 1

Nuitarius
37 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

The error is in the first timestamp in line 2 - the milliseconds are delimited with a colon instead of a comma or stop.

Subtitle Edit opens it without comment, but Aegisub reports the error and its location.

Paul

Thx Paul

This opens up a few questions:

1. Why can my pc run with this subtitle while my shield can't

2. Why when trying to use no subtitle does the shield still persist to have subtitle issues

BR

Ernst

pwhodges

1: Because they are using different code and one is more tolerant of oddities than the other, like the two subtitle editors I mentioned; no surprise there.

2: Maybe the Shield checks out the subtitles so as to be ready if they are asked for (that's a pure guess).

Paul

Yes we need to improve the resilience here so that this doesn't happen. In the meantime, try deleting that file, then run a library scan. That should allow you to play.

• Thanks 1

Nuitarius
6 hours ago, Luke said:

Yes we need to improve the resilience here so that this doesn't happen. In the meantime, try deleting that file, then run a library scan. That should allow you to play.

Yes I already removed it. The file plays fine.

Thanks

Nuitarius
9 hours ago, pwhodges said:

1: Because they are using different code and one is more tolerant of oddities than the other, like the two subtitle editors I mentioned; no surprise there.

2: Maybe the Shield checks out the subtitles so as to be ready if they are asked for (that's a pure guess).

Paul

I will be looking into those sub editors.

Can one of them also delay subs and change framerate? I have several subs that are annoying me. I have a few that were locked to 24 or 25 fps but my movie is in the original 23.98.

Would be nice to be able to match the timings

pwhodges

Subtitle Edit is the main go-to free subtitle editor; it's aimed at SRT, but can handle SSA/ASS files as well; it's actively developed.  Note that with your problem subs, just reading them in to Subtitle Edit and writing them out again corrected the issue. 

Aegisub is the go-to for ASS formatting, though its many years since it was updated, and it's a bit cranky; there's a later beta than the linked version around, but it's a bit more cranky.

Both can adjust timing in a range of ways.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Nuitarius said:

Yes I already removed it. The file plays fine.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback.