Location of the 'plugins' folder on Synology 7?

Orphan_Script
Go to solution Solved by Orphan_Script,

Orphan_Script

Hi all, trying to manually install a plugin (VirtualTV). 

Earlier posts note that the plugins folder is located at: 

//var/packages/EmbyServer/target/plugins

That doesn't exist, but I did find 

//var/packages/EmbyServer/target/system/plugins

And this looks correct because the other plugin files are there as well. But when I put VirtualTV.dll in here, it's not showing when I refresh / check the plugins tab on Emby dashboard. 

So my question is: Is this actually the correct directory to install a plugin manually? 

And if so, any idea why it's not loading? 

Logs attached if it's helpful. 

embyserver.txt

Orphan_Script

Update: Reviewed the log myself and it looks like the problem is Emby doesn't have access to 

//volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/plugins$

The embysrv user has full admin rights, as much as I can give through Synology control panel, I'm not really sure how to give it r/w access to that folder specifically. 

• Solution
Orphan_Script

Found a solution. SSH to //var/packages/EmbyServer/var/plugins then chown / chgrp to emby, all good here! 

• Agree 1

Thanks for following up. We plan to add a screen to the web interface to make it easier to manually install plugin dll files.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
ThieuMa
On 7/19/2021 at 1:37 AM, Orphan_Script said:

Found a solution. SSH to //var/packages/EmbyServer/var/plugins then chown / chgrp to emby, all good here! 

Hello! How can I send file to this folder? I don't know how to do it. Can I do it with filezilla or stuff like this?

2 hours ago, ThieuMa said:

Hello! How can I send file to this folder? I don't know how to do it. Can I do it with filezilla or stuff like this?

Here's one way: 

• 2 months later...
kellerbaum
On 7/18/2021 at 7:52 PM, Luke said:

Thanks for following up. We plan to add a screen to the web interface to make it easier to manually install plugin dll files.

Did this ever get implemented?

50 minutes ago, kellerbaum said:

Did this ever get implemented?

Hi, not yet. On the to do list.

19 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, not yet. On the to do list.

How far away is that likely to be? or alternatively can Smart Playlists 2.0 be added to the Catalogue?

Hi all , 

Newbie to Emby but not media servers. I followed the WinSCP tutorial linked above by Luke  and can login via WinSCP as both admin or a user with administrator rights (i skipped steps 2, 3 & 6 as advised) but when i copy the file SmartPlaylist.dll to //var/packages/EmbyServer/var/plugins , WinSCP says "permission denied". WinSCP is opened in commander mode and i can definitely see all the recent dll files that were installed directly via the Catalogue.  Not sure why i get "permission denied" if im an administrator?  

6 hours ago, AlexF6 said:

or alternatively can Smart Playlists 2.0 be added to the Catalogue?

That's up to the developer of the plugin.

5 hours ago, AlexF6 said:

Hi all , 

Newbie to Emby but not media servers. I followed the WinSCP tutorial linked above by Luke  and can login via WinSCP as both admin or a user with administrator rights (i skipped steps 2, 3 & 6 as advised) but when i copy the file SmartPlaylist.dll to //var/packages/EmbyServer/var/plugins , WinSCP says "permission denied". WinSCP is opened in commander mode and i can definitely see all the recent dll files that were installed directly via the Catalogue.  Not sure why i get "permission denied" if im an administrator?  

HI, please try following this and see if it helps: 

FrostByte
5 hours ago, AlexF6 said:

Hi all , 

You can't skip the superuser steps.  Only with elevated SU privileges will be able to delete/write in most places other than shared folders.  You are still logging in with Admin when using SU.

Edited by FrostByte

12 hours ago, Luke said:

That's up to the developer of the plugin.

Ok wasn't aware of that.  Not sure why the developer hasn't as it's a great tool which should be a standard feature like in Kodi.

12 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, please try following this and see if it helps: 

First off thanks for the quick reply in your 2 posts. As a newbie its great to see the Emby product well supported by Staff and Community.  Thats exactly what i was following. See my feedback to FrostByte below.

12 hours ago, FrostByte said:

You can't skip the superuser steps.  Only with elevated SU privileges will be able to delete/write in most places other than shared folders.  You are still logging in with Admin when using SU.

Thanks FrostByte that's exactly what i got wrong. Not sure if this can be clarified in your instructions around skipping the superuser steps.  When i redid it from scratch with all steps it worked. The only other item i performed was changing the SmartPlaylist.dll properties of Owner and Group from root to Emby  and giving it the same Permissions of the other DLL plugins. I restarted the EmbyServer and it worked.  And as mentioned to Luke its great to see the Emby product well supported by Staff and Community.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Also, I usually turn off SSH in DSM after I'm done.  Unless you SSH into your NAS a lot.

Yes that's exactly what i did and i also disabled the Synology admin user profile as well.

• Like 1

FrostByte
9 hours ago, AlexF6 said:

Thanks FrostByte that's exactly what i got wrong. Not sure if this can be clarified in your instructions around skipping the superuser steps.  When i redid it from scratch with all steps it worked. 

Good ideas.  That and the switching of Admin and SSH back off.  I'll have to see if I can get a mod to let me change it. @Abobader

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Good ideas.  That and the switching of Admin and SSH back off.  I'll have to see if I can get a mod to let me change it. @Abobader

Hi buddy,

I give you permission on TUT's forum, so go a head and edit what you like there.

My best 

• Like 2

FrostByte
14 minutes ago, Abobader said:

Hi buddy,

I give you permission on TUT's forum, so go a head and edit what you like there.

My best 

Great, thanks Abo

• Thanks 1