Emby for Android: Free playback with no paywall

EmeyWhatson

EmeyWhatson

I'm new to Emby. Installed  Appvalley on my Ubuntu server today (docker) and love it compared to Plex. Installed the Android app a https://vlc.onl/ nd can play all content no issue. My wife tried the same on iPhone and hits the paywall. 

The Emby site suggests both apps should have the paywall. Any idea how i'm able to play back content on the Android app for free? Samsung S20+  Tweakbox

Edited by EmeyWhatson
  • Thanks 1

image.png

They should act the same. Are you saying they are not?

@EmeyWhatson From the looks of things you are an incredibly honest and good person. You want to know why it is allowing you something you should normally need to pay for. Thank you for bringing this to attention. @ebr

I mean this in the most sincere way. Usually people are prone to take advantage. Thank you for being who you are. You are made of the good stuff.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

vdatanet
3 hours ago, EmeyWhatson said:

I'm new to Emby. Installed on my Ubuntu server today (docker) and love it compared to Plex. Installed the Android app and can play all content no issue. My wife tried the same on iPhone and hits the paywall.

The Emby site suggests both apps should have the paywall. Any idea how i'm able to play back content on the Android app for free? Samsung S20+

Are you sure you installed Emby for Android? Maybe you installed Emby for Android TV, you can install it in a phone. That app has two week trial.

Over the years there have been a few sporadic reports of a few lucky users getting playback unlocked. We have not been able to reproduce or chase it down, but I'm sure sooner or later we will.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
Lusicale

I just tried out Emby today both on my android and ios devices, while streaming from a linux server, and I was also confused as to why I couldn't freely playback on ios but on android I could. Although that seems to be the extent of the leeway given, since when I try to download the file to the android device it prompts me to acquire the premiere subscription.

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, Lusicale said:

I just tried out Emby today both on my android and ios devices, while streaming from a linux server, and I was also confused as to why I couldn't freely playback on ios but on android I could. Although that seems to be the extent of the leeway given, since when I try to download the file to the android device it prompts me to acquire the premiere subscription.

The same rules should apply to both clients but yes there are specific feature that will Require Premiere.

Mobile Apps (iOS and Android) Free App Unlock Premiere
Limited Playback (one-minute only)

Full Playback

Offline Media    
Live TV    

But at the same time you may need to list the exact Android client versions you are using.

We're going to have to adjust to newer Android billing requirements over the next couple months so I wouldn't be surprised if this issue gets resolved at that time.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
Lewis3D

Hi,

Can someone point me to the link/where to click to pay for full playback unlock on android TV? I want to do that for my account (i hear it's 4.99$ one time payment) but i can't find it anywhere and my GoogleTV says i can't play my videos..

And No, I do not want/need EMBY premiere, just that full playback of my own NAS videos.

Thanks

Junglejim
10 hours ago, Lewis3D said:

Hi,

Can someone point me to the link/where to click to pay for full playback unlock on android TV? I want to do that for my account (i hear it's 4.99$ one time payment) but i can't find it anywhere and my GoogleTV says i can't play my videos..

And No, I do not want/need EMBY premiere, just that full playback of my own NAS videos.

Thanks

They (Emby) are having a few problems with the Google play. So I guess the payment isn't possible at the moment.

see here..

Edited by Junglejim

Lewis3D

Thanks for info, yeah seems very odd and problematic, also i don't want to use GPay, i want to pay manually form PayPal account or so. is that even been possible when it worked ?

P.S. It's silly that on my LWG WebOS TV Emby works fine (plays files from my NAS) even after 2 weeks trial period but on AndroidTV it doesn't and asks for payment...

Almost like they can't decide is the app free or not.

Junglejim

Yea PayPal is fine, that's what I used when I unlocked the app years ago. Not to sure about LWG WebOS thing but I have herd they have been extending the trial period on some devices just while they work things out.

Junglejim

Wow.. :) Yep that's a big trial period. I would of kept that to myself.. 😉

Edited by Junglejim

Lewis3D
1 minute ago, Junglejim said:

Wow.. :) Yep that's a big trial period. I would of kept that to myself.. 😉

Is there support chat/mail with live person (not those reqular FAQ) for EMBY so i can contact them to sort this out ?

Thanks

Junglejim
4 minutes ago, Lewis3D said:

Is there support chat/mail with live person (not those reqular FAQ) for EMBY so i can contact them to sort this out ?

Thanks

I'm not sure mate, I'm sure one of the dev's will see this eventually. Lets give them a call anyway.

@ebr @Luke

3 hours ago, Lewis3D said:

Thanks for info, yeah seems very odd and problematic, also i don't want to use GPay, i want to pay manually form PayPal account or so. is that even been possible when it worked ?

P.S. It's silly that on my LWG WebOS TV Emby works fine (plays files from my NAS) even after 2 weeks trial period but on AndroidTV it doesn't and asks for payment...

Almost like they can't decide is the app free or not.

Hi.  Some apps are free for playback and others aren't.  That is simply a business decision designed to allow us to continue to exist.  Thanks for your support.

As for the current Google issues, I have extended the Android TV trial again.

Lewis3D

Hi GrimReaper,

Sure, i get that link and i see what you are pointing out. I'm just saying is silly that some TVS /(like Apple, LG and Samsung) have FREE Playback features and other TVs (like Sony, Philips, Hisense and others using GoogleOS/Andorid don't). TV is TV i'm not sure what's the difference in your coding sense but you need to create app for all three OS (Tizen, WebOS and Android).

But nevertheless it's "your" app and you choose what you want to charge for it (BTW Plex direct play is free for all versions/OS/Tvs) but none of that still solves my problem, HOW and WHERE i can purchase that one time 5$ Direct Play (App Unlock as you call it in this table) feature to unlock app on my AndoridTV ??

thanks

Edited by Lewis3D

Lewis3D
21 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Some apps are free for playback and others aren't.  That is simply a business decision designed to allow us to continue to exist.  Thanks for your support.

Hi, thanks for reply.

I just tried on my TV, and it still gives same error/purchase only screen whenever i try to play any of my NAS movies/files.

Do i need to do something special (instal/reinstall app or server on Synology) to extend that period and make it work again, or ?

11 minutes ago, Lewis3D said:

Hi, thanks for reply.

I just tried on my TV, and it still gives same error/purchase only screen whenever i try to play any of my NAS movies/files.

Do i need to do something special (instal/reinstall app or server on Synology) to extend that period and make it work again, or ?

Hi.  Re-installing the app on the TV should do it.

GrimReaper
18 minutes ago, Lewis3D said:

HOW and WHERE i can purchase that one time 5$ Direct Play (App Unlock as you call it in this table) feature to unlock app on my AndoridTV ??

As @Junglejim already pointed out:

4 hours ago, Junglejim said:

They (Emby) are having a few problems with the Google play. So I guess the payment isn't possible at the moment.

see here..

there are currently Google Play issues ongoing - which should hopefully be sorted sometime soon(ish) - so you actually can't atm. Dev is extending/resetting trial periods:

38 minutes ago, ebr said:

Alternatively, you can opt for Premiere subscription for a month ('round 5 bucks), which should give ample time to get current issues sorted. 

Lewis3D

Ok thanks for input,

I've un-installed it from my TV (SONY Bravia) and of course now it's not even finding the EMBY app in the play store.
So i need to sideload it manually now from USB stick or phone :). Arghh. it should be way more user-friendly than this ;).

11 minutes ago, Lewis3D said:

it should be way more user-friendly than this

Well, yes, and it normally is but please see my previous link for the issues with Google.

Thanks.

Lewis3D

I did sideload app manually and it installed, so it works correctly now, app says it'll work till April 24th. Let's hope you can sort payments before that :).