Sync issues

crusher11

crusher11

I've got the Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark Blu-ray, and I ripped the AV sync tests, added them as an extra to one of my movies.

Firstly, no matter what I do it's more or less in sync. Like, a couple of frames out, tops. And yet, I have to adjust it by almost 500ms to get it perfectly in sync - which makes it horribly out of sync on the bouncing ball thing they give you to set sync with.

On the other hand, that makes Prime and Netflix and such perfectly in sync.

On the third hand, my other Emby content is catastrophically out of sync. By, like...half a second.

WTF is going on? Different sync for different apps would be weird but comprehensible. Different sync within Emby for different files is...just bizarre.

Hi, Don't get hung up on times.  If after you adjust things and it's in sync then leave it alone as the tool has done it's job.

Personally, I've never had to do anything but use the bouncing ball sync on my system and it's perfect after that.

Edited by cayars

crusher11

But my point is that it isn't in sync. There is no global sync, I have to adjust it app by app and within Emby I have to adjust it file by file.

I really don't understand what's going on with your system but you shouldn't need to use any 3rd party utils to adjust sync and should be able to use the sync tool (bouncing ball) in the OS system settings.  If the bouncing ball is in sync and your equipment plugged into the Shield TV is always the exact same thing then it will be in sync unless your media itself is wrong.

crusher11

In theory, yes. In practice, no.

The bouncing ball is actually a pain to work with anyway, the Spears & Munsil thing is much easier (and its presence on my server predates the Shield). But sync is all over the place depending on what I'm playing.

In theory and practice yes. :)

Instead of using the system/OS tool to set the audio delay you're relying on a single piece of media in a specific format that is a rip no less.  Depending how this plays back you will be adding additional delays and throwing off the system setting.

Just use the bouncing ball audio sync timing tool with the exact setup that will always be used and it should just work.  You will also want to check the AVR delay as well.

I don't think I've ever read anyone else with this problem.

What specific device and what is plugged into it?

crusher11

It's a Shield Pro plugged into a Yamaha AX-R760, which is in turn connected to an LG OLED55C6.

CBers
10 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

It's a Shield Pro plugged into a Yamaha AX-R760, which is in turn connected to an LG OLED55C6.

I have a 2017 Shield plugged into an LG soundbar (SJ9), which is in turn connected to an LG OLED55C7 TV. 

No syncing issues here. 

On 7/16/2021 at 8:30 AM, crusher11 said:

But my point is that it isn't in sync. There is no global sync, I have to adjust it app by app and within Emby I have to adjust it file by file.

I'm actually struggling to understand how you would even be able to adjust sync app by app or file by file.

To me this sounds like you were making changes in MultiCast for your Yamaha AX and changed it's settings from LipSync which can do exactly what you describe but isn't a Shield TV issue but a Yamaha issue as you switched it's sync functionality. If changed in MultiCast it can't be adjusted other than from MultiCast (known issue). Here is a small thread on that.
https://www.avforums.com/threads/yamaha-rx-a670-audio-sync-issue.2169862/

Besides that you can go into you Yamaha and set it to manual from auto sync to fine tune it per HDMI port. With good HDMI cables typical 2ms is all that's needed in the amp settings.  Of course you can leave it manual at 0 ms delay and adjust strictly from the device such as Shield TV but you don't want multiple things all trying to change the delay.  Same with TV, check it's settings as well.

If you want to find out for sure if it's the amp plug the Shield TV directly into the TV and set the delay using the bouncing ball and it should be accurate for every app that plays on the Shield.

• Like 1

crusher11
9 hours ago, cayars said:

I'm actually struggling to understand how you would even be able to adjust sync app by app or file by file.

By constantly going back and forth between what I'm watching and the audio sync until it's half decent. Every time I try and watch something.

rbjtech

I'm unfamiliar with the Yamaha - but if it's anything like my Denon, then the ONLY reason to add delay to the AV output is if the processing on the VIDEO (by the AVR AND the TV)  is slightly delayed.  I have it set mine zero delay with the built in AVR function (with an LG TV) - but I could see why you 'may' need this as you are 'repeating' the VIDEO HDMI signal via the AVR - thus could be introducing latency and you need to then delay the AUDIO to keep it in sync.

Once set - this should never change (as @cayars has explained) because this is the HDMI packet /hardware layer - it has nothing to do with the fps of the video for example.

Ensure the Shield app is set to auto-switch video fps (so a 23.976 video plays with a 23.976 refresh on the tv) and as long as your rip was properly synced in the first place - then you should be good.

Remember, 24 fps is NOT 23.976 fps, 30fps is NOT 29.97 (for NTSC video) - so always check this - some rip programs get this wrong - and thus your sync will slowly go out regardless of what you set.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

@crusher11 your issue to me sounds media related vs hardware related unless you've turned on some special processing on the amp or TV.  I'd go back to square one and if needed try a few tests such as plug the Shield TV directly to the TV even if you can only play 2 channel audio through the TV (good enough for this). Setup the sync using the bouncing ball.

Now anything you play that has been authored correctly should be in sync and shouldn't matter if it's from Emby, Netflix, Hulu or Youtube.  If you still see some sync issue then reset your TV at this point to factory settings and try again without the amp inline.  Once you have that working re-introduce the amp and check your sync.  If it's off more than a couple of milliseconds you have a different issue than audio sync and might want to factory reset the amp.

The thing to keep in mind is audio sync adjustment does not change based on media played or source of media.  It's only adjusting a timing difference in the hardware setup which doesn't change once setup.

If Netflix/Hulu/Youtube vids play ok when adjusted correctly using the bouncing ball sync but your media doesn't then you have a media authoring issue or a setup issue maybe with the wrong refresh rates set on the Shield TV itself.

If you playback your media on a PC with it's internal sound system (not plugged into anything) using Theater Desktop that is direct playing (check this) your media do you have any sync issues? If not and it's a notebook try plugging the notebook into your amp or TV and see if you now have a delay that's changing.

Process of elimination and testing like this will help show where the issue is at.

• Like 2