Incorrectly stretched video

PlzLessSerious
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

PlzLessSerious

I have some videos which get incorrectly stretched while playing on Emby. I am posting it here because Emby is running on Synology and the bad stretching is visible on 2 different players. The incorrect stretching is observable from Roku Emby player and when playing through the Emby player via Chrome on Windows. When the same video is being played using VLC player, it is sized correctly. I tried looking through all Emby settings to see if I can change something related to this but was unable to pinpoint any associated configuration. Perhaps someone can advise what to do.. I guess I would update the metadata in all the 110 files if someone tells me what Emby doesn't like. Strange that it works for VLC though.

I will attach screenshots from Emby and VLC for comparison and a link to the video file in google drive (700MB).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MfMts8yEYyUow5VIHt9bMsztsGgkaJNg/view?usp=sharing

Thank you

post-510290-0-58174000-1568148609_thumb.png

post-510290-0-23288600-1568148624_thumb.png

Edited by PlzLessSerious

• Solution

Hi, in the web app, if you lower the in-app quality setting to force a full transcode, how does that compare?

• Like 1

PlzLessSerious

Is this the only option I have or is it possible to watch the video with original resolution and normal stretching as well?

Thanks

I think the problem is only happening when we remux the video into a new container. We've seen it occasionally before with some videos but haven't come up with a solution yet.

PlzLessSerious

Is there anything I can easily edit in mkvtoolnix to make the files display as expected? There must be something specific in these files which throws emby off... I'd expect something in the metadata.. If not, I can of-course view the files as they are - it is not too annoying. It just creates a slight... itch the mind.. knowing that some files on my server are not in proper format and I need to go tweak some setting to view them. 

No because you're not getting it as an mkv, it's being re-packaged into a different container on the fly. The original video stream is being preserved as-is, and that's what makes this difficult to chase down.