Android app casting devices

RobsterUK
Go to solution Solved by RobsterUK,

RobsterUK

I have tried searching for this but actually couldn't find a definitive answer.

The Android app, what devices can it cast to? Is it only a Chromecast?

I was looking through the available uPnP/ DLNA profiles on the server and found one for Media Monkey.

I have emby server installed on a Synology nas. Android app on my phone. Windows 10 pc with media monkey installed. Pc has a pair of bookshelf speakers connected, which are my main sound system.

Ideally I would like to cast to the pc, therefore using the mobile app as a remote control, sound coming out of the bookshelf speakers.

I've enabled the DLNA settings within media monkey & upon trying to cast from the Android app it detects media monkey as an available device. If I select a song it seems to start playing yet nothing is heard. Is this because it isn't supported?

The casting icon stays green as though it has just been tapped. Almost as though a finger press is still applied to it.

I could be attempting something that is not yet available, so would like to know before I carry on down this route.

Any replies gratefully received, thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RobsterUK

The Android app appears to be playing, but no sound is heard from media monkey, or any indication that anything is happening.

If I choose the cast icon once media is playing there is an option for 'remote control' which opens the fwd, pause, rwd & volume controls.

I will see if I can record a video of what happens in the app and post it up. May not be until tomorrow evening though

RobsterUK

Maybe should have mentioned this, but Media Monkey is only the free version. Don't see any options in the Gold version that look relevant to enable casting to it. But i may be wrong.

This is what appears in MM 'Now Playing' when casting.

5d4b07bb6a449_MMcasting.png

It seems as though i can control the volume, however nothing actually comes out. Also the song only plays for about 10 seconds, then skips to the next one from the album.

The IP is from the NAS and that port is correct for Emby.

If I enter that url into a browser I get a message 'Unable to find specified file'
Seems a bit odd that it references a jpg image.

Edited by RobsterUK

RobsterUK

But if i disconnect from MM and just play the file within the Android app, then the song plays OK.

• Solution
RobsterUK

Have tried using different software this evening.

First tried VLC but that didn't even show up as a device to cast to.

Fired up Kodi, went into settings. Enabled 'Allow remote control by UPnP'.

Ran the Android app and Kodi instantly showed as an available device. Selected it to cast to and played a song in the same manner as when using Media Monkey. Played on the first attempt.

I'm happy enough with that. It wasn't a case of having to use MM, but it is connected to all of the music stored on my NAS so it made sense.

If I can only use Kodi to cast to then that's good enough for me!

@@RobsterUK we did some media monkey testing and it appears to have a number of dlna related defects that need to be resolved. We tested other apps with media monkey and could not get other apps to successfully send media to media monkey, so i think they have some issues to work out.

RobsterUK

Hi Luke, thanks for the update, that's really appreciated.

I did consider trying their own Android app, but as I was trying to get emby working I went the other way and tried other software on my pc to prove emby was working as expected.

At least I know it wasn't something I was doing wrong [emoji6]