Unable to access Emby over domain name

MintCollie

MintCollie

Hello everyone! Im pretty new at emby, I installed it earlier this week and so far have been loving it on my local devices. Today I thought I would tackle getting it setup outside my network. But im running into an issue. 

I'm on version 4.2.0.40 on a ubuntu 18.04 host.

Whenever I set emby to my domain im unable to access it outside my network. If I clear the "External Domain" field and restart my server so that its back to my external IP im able to access it outside my network just fine. Its only when I set the "External Domain" field does it stop connecting.

I have both local ports and public ports, port forwarded and it seems to be resolving to the local port instead of the public one that I set.

for example if I change the public port to 8095 and the local port to 8096 and port forward both the 8095 and 8096 it will connect to 8096 rather then 8095.(checking the port on canyouseeme.com says connectionrefused)

But if I change it to my domain it wont connect to either.

I tested to make sure I have my domain set up correctly as I quickly set up a nginx webpage.

Is there any solution to my issue?

EDIT: after playing around with settings, when I set the domain its still accessible via my external IP just not the domain.

Edited by MintCollie

MintCollie

Hello everyone! Im pretty new at emby, I installed it earlier this week and so far have been loving it on my local devices. Today I thought I would tackle getting it setup outside my network. But im running into an issue. 

I'm on version 4.2.0.40 on a ubuntu 18.04 host.

Whenever I set emby to my domain im unable to access it outside my network. If I clear the "External Domain" field and restart my server so that its back to my external IP im able to access it outside my network just fine. Its only when I set the "External Domain" field does it stop connecting.

I have both local ports and public ports, port forwarded and it seems to be resolving to the local port instead of the public one that I set.

for example if I change the public port to 8095 and the local port to 8096 and port forward both the 8095 and 8096 it will connect to 8096 rather then 8095.(checking the port on canyouseeme.com says connectionrefused)

But if I change it to my domain it wont connect to either.

I tested to make sure I have my domain set up correctly as I quickly set up a nginx webpage.

Is there any solution to my issue?

EDIT: after playing around with settings, when I set the domain its still accessible via my external IP just not the domain.

Ok I actually figured it out. Turns out cloudflare only likes some http & https ports such as the ones listed here https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200169156-Which-ports-will-Cloudflare-work-with-

changed the ports to that and it worked

Hi, the public port settings are for display only, so that the emby server dashboard can display your correct remote address. they don't actually have much functional impact, therefore this is not really true:

seems to be resolving to the local port instead of the public one that I set.

Why do you feel this happened? This is something you would have to configure at the level of our router and/or reverse proxy, to make sure the public port is forwarding to the local port.