Install problem - Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials

mhaubrich

mhaubrich

I've built a new server using Windows 2012 R2 Essentials.  Just installed the latest version of Emby.  Logged in as the admin account and I can't get setup to complete.  I also can't get to the admin web page from any other computers on my network, including from a Windows 10 VM running on the server connected to the domain.

On the server it is stuck at the "set up media libraries" tab.  I set it up to point at a few media shares, but when I try to click "next" to go to the next step in the setup process, the button changes color as if it'd detecting my click, but nothing happens.

I couldn't find any special instructions about installing Emby on Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials.  Are there any steps I'm missing?

mhaubrich

Browser is IE 11.  Since it's Server they really don't want you surfing the web on it and I did get a pop-up at one point about blocked content, but I added localhost to the trusted zone and that issue seemed to abate.

mhaubrich

No ideas?  I wonder if I should try running Emby on a GNU/Linux VM on the server instead of trying to run it directly on the server OS.  I'm not very knowledgeable about GNU/Linux though -- any suggestions?

mhaubrich

Oh, yeah -- I can see now how it sounded that way.  No, still doesn't work.  I'm not too wild about loading another browser -- it's a server, not a general-purpose workstation, and I'm trying to keep it a "clean" as possible.  I am running other VMs on it using Hyper-V and starting to think that running it in a VM might be the better way to go.  Aside from probably needing to know a little *nix to admin it, any drawbacks to the Linux version compared to the Windows version?

Well it's obviously your decision but I don't see why you would load an entirely new operating system just to avoid a browser install. I'm pretty sure I've seen this mentioned before by other users installing on WHS and there was some security setting that they needed to disable within IE and then the Emby web app runs fine.