i7-3930K enable onboard graphics

Tolotos

Tolotos

Hi,

I rented a server with a 6 core i7-3930K cpu and want to use the vaapi for hardware transcoding. 

Unfortunately I get it not working.

lspci -nnk | grep -i VAG -A2 says:

06:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: XGI Technology Inc. (eXtreme Graphics Innovation) Z11/Z11M [18ca:0027]
        Subsystem: XGI Technology Inc. (eXtreme Graphics Innovation) Z11/Z11M [18ca:0027]
        Kernel driver in use: xgifb

I assume the hosting company added an addtional XGI graphics card into the server.

How can I use the hardware accelaration of the i7?

Must I ask the hosting company to remove the XGI graphics device?

Yours Tolotos

Edited by Tolotos

If you look at the config page it allows you to specify the Vaapi device. I am still learning myself about this, but if you can find the value that would correspond to your intel gpu, then that should instruct vaapi to use that.

Tolotos

The problem is I have no /dev/*card* device.

I had the hope some users here have more experience with Linux as I and can give some help.

Even if it is only a hint for asking my hosting provider.

Tolotos

I got the answer from my hosting provider.

The external XGI card is needed as the used motherboard has no graphics connectors.

Bad news!

marmayr

I don't know whether there is a solution for your problem, probably not. If there is no way to activate the Intel GPU along the XGI card, you are out of luck.

But please note that you may not find all GPUs with the command above. Also run

lspci | grep "Display controller"

Please also note that the graphics card render node is not located directly in /dev/ but in

/dev/dri

Don't know whether this leads to something. I just wanted to point out some inaccuracies in your postings above.

Tolotos

lspci | grep "Display controller"
Please also note that the graphics card render node is not located directly in /dev/ but in
/dev/dri

grep for "Display controller" gives a empty result.

There is no /dev/dri folder.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

puithove

3930k is a SandyBridge-E chip.  No onboard Intel GPU.  This wouldn't be a candidate for VAAPI.  VAAPI can also use AMD or NVIDIA GPUs, but that XGI doesn't look like it would work either as it's probably some simplistic display card used for datacenters.

• Like 1