Update/Refresh function from Metadata Manager not working

josch.hh

josch.hh

As i get no useful answer on the topic as part of another thread i am raising it again as separat issue here:

I am running emby server 3.0.5933.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.

My issue is that the update/refresh function of the metadata menager is doing no change or update at all. -> short to say it is not working and i assume it is a bug... maybe only on the Mono version of emby...

How can i help to figure out if it really is a bug?

Any chance to verfiy the behaviour of emby during the use of the metadata manager update function? Maybe via debug log?

It works just fine - but unfortunately there is no progress reporting in the UI so you're unable to monitor it while it's running. That's planned for the future.

josch.hh

Just saying it works fine on your side when i can definetly reproduce on my system that it is not working isn't a help at all!

Did you try it with the Mono Version under Ubuntu?

Can i send you debug logs that might enable you to follow the issue?

We already know what your issue is because we've been discussing it in another thread. Your problem is not the refresh function, it is that the tmdb provider is not getting the data that you're expecting it to.

josch.hh

The issues you are talking of is the topic of the other thread.

With this thread i would expect to have a clarification on how the refresh functions works.... or why it doesn't work here.

If the identification function is able to find the RIGHT movie, then i assume that "update all" function should be able to get every metadata updated based on the fact that emby is able to find the right movie in the TMDB, especially if i entered the correct tmdb id by hand.

So can you plz explain for my understanding what exactly emby does when using the update function of the metadata manager?

For exmaple, on which criteria is the update function searching in the tmdb... the name and year of release, the tmdb id...?

Edited by josch.hh

That's correct, so if you're having an issue then we'll need to see some specific and detailed examples. thanks.

josch.hh

Ok, i wil give you an example based on the movie with the file name "#9 (2009)":

Orginially emby identified this filename as the movie "Distrinc 9", see here:

5727b6bc36a4d_1.jpg

Then i added the correct tmdb id and imdb id by hand and saved it:

5727b7069973f_2.jpg

Then i use the identify function with the right name, year and id's:

5727b749adc0d_3.jpg

And it finds the right movie:

5727b7672bbe4_4.jpg

I apply the found movie, but there is no change in the metadata, except the pirtures are updated.

So i use the complete refresh function:

5727b7b77da48_5.jpg

But after the refresh nothing happend, you can see there is still the old metadata from the "District 9" movie:

5727b808b1339_6.jpg

Can you help me based on this information?

There may be some issues here but the proper name of the item is "9" not "#9".

Not sure that has much impact on exactly what you are seeing after the fact but that may have made it identify properly in the first place.

Try using the identify feature and only fill in "9" as the name and "2009" as the year and hit search.

josch.hh

It makes no difference:

5727bb2553d34_1b.jpg

The search result is:

5727bb3455ee1_2b.jpg

The rest is the same like before.... nothing updated except the pictures.

Can i enable somewhere in emby debug logging and send you the logs?

Edited by josch.hh

SSJ4Gokou

I have a similar issue. I go into the meta manager find the movie i need to update, identify it, and when everything is done nothing changed. Same file name is still there, no meta updated at all. Sometimes if i go in and rescan my library it'll display all the updated meta for that movie, but i do not want to do this everything single time.

Before i was able to identify the movie and it would fill in the meta without me having to rescan my library.

I tried this and couldn't reproduce. Here's what I did:

- Added #9 to German movie library, it got identified as District 9

- Opened movie details -> Identify. Removed all existing information. Entered Imdb Id for 9 and Tmdb for 9 (from your pictures above)

- I submitted the identify, then gave it a few seconds and refreshed the browser. 

Worked perfectly - all information and images changed over to 9

pünktchen

- Opened movie details -> Identify. Removed all existing information. Entered Imdb Id for 9 and Tmdb for 9 (from your pictures above)

- I submitted the identify, then gave it a few seconds and refreshed the browser.

The difference is you've removed all existing infos while the other users didn't do that. They are expecting that the false metadata get updated with the correct ones!

Well I suppose we could have the identify popup open with empty fields and force the user to enter the values

• Like 1

Well I suppose we could have the identify popup open with empty fields and force the user to enter the values

I think that makes a lot more sense - or just populate the name.  If you are hitting identify, I think it is 99% certain that the provider IDs that were found are incorrect.

Plus, if you know the provider ID you don't need to use this feature anyway - you can just enter it on the screen you came from, right?

josch.hh

:-) guess I got it. Luke you pointed it the right way.

What needs to be done is:

1.) Identify the movie

2.) Do a complete refresh to get rid of old data (doesn't matter is the fields are empty or not)

3.) !!! Wait ~min 5-10 seconds

4.) force a browers refresh !

Then it worked and i could see the changes.

Fantastic... so we are very close.

Maybe Luck can optimize emby metadata manager a bid to do a reload of the data as soon as the refresh is really done...

Edited by josch.hh

The difference is you've removed all existing infos while the other users didn't do that. They are expecting that the false metadata get updated with the correct ones!

You misunderstood what he meant.  He just blanked out the fields on the Identify search form.

:-) guess got it. Luke you pointed it the right way.

What needs to be done is:

1.) Identify the movie

2.) Do a complete refresh to get rid of old data (doesn't matter is the fields are empty or not)

3.) !!! Wait ~min 5-10 seconds

4.) force a browers refresh !

Then it worked and i could see the changes.

Fantastic... so we are very close.

Maybe Luck can optimize emby metadata manager a bid to da reload of the data shown as soon as the refresh is really done...

No, this is wrong. The Identify feature handles the refresh for you. After you identify, a manual refresh is not necessary, so step 2 is not needed.

pünktchen

My bad! I've misread your procedure - i thought you've cleared the metadata not the identify data. Anyway your suggestion would be welcome!

pünktchen

You misunderstood what he meant. He just blanked out the fields on the Identify search form.

You were faster than i could correct myself [emoji6]

josch.hh

No, this is wrong. The Identify feature handles the refresh for you. After you identify, a manual refresh is not necessary, so step 2 is not needed.

I just tested i again with what you mentioned:

1.) Remove the content of one field from a movie

2.) Saved the changes

3.) Identified the movie again

4.) waited some time and refresh the browser

-> the data i remove was NOT added again

it only worked as soon as i did a complete refresh... including the process described above (wait 5-10 sec and refresh the browser)

It probably worked but it just hadn't finished yet. It sort of all traces back to not being able to monitor progress which in some cases can lead you to think it's not working.

josch.hh

It probably worked but it just hadn't finished yet. It sort of all traces back to not being able to monitor progress which in some cases can lead you to think it's not working.

Not sure i understood you well. Does it mean that it would be just a matter of time? I can test it again and wait some time longer to be sure the process is finished....

EDIT:

Your are right. It is a matter of letting the process finish. The funny effect i just had that in some case it took long and in some case only a second....

Anyhow, can you maybe check if the refresh of the browser content can be maybe optmized, because the runtime of the process and the fact that i was expecting to see a change as soon as the "round wait symbol" in the browser window was gone let to this confusion.

Edited by josch.hh