Movie Extra Names

Spaceboy

Spaceboy

Hello, jut noticed that all movie extras are being displayed in the web client with just the movie name. previously the name of the file was shown and this is much more helpful than all having the same movie name. not sure if this was intentional but its a backwards step in my opinion. cheers

a pic always helps!

5725e41a2ba8c_Capture.jpg

Edited by Spaceboy

djonnie

There are other threads about this issue. I experienced it yesterday when I had extras with the name of the movie in the metadata. Emby picked this title and ignored the filename. The solution I found for this is to remove the metadata, remove the extra from the library and filesystem, adding the modified file and rescanning the library.

Removing an item from the library can be done by right clicking on the item and opening it in a new tab. From this tab the extra will open as a "normal" movie and you can remove it from the library and the filesystem.

You can find steps to remove metadata with Windows 10 here: http://superuser.com/questions/767544/how-to-remove-title-and-other-metadata-from-video-files Worked for my MP4's.

Edited by djonnie

Spaceboy

Hi, thanks. i know the other issue you are talking about but this isnt the same. i think you are talking about extras that are detected as movies and i have also suffered with this issue. but there is no metadata created for these extras and what i am describing has happened over night to all movies with extras. it seems to be that emby is displaying the movie name rather than the extra name.

Deathsquirrel

It's reading the movie name from the embedded metadata in the extras files.  Uou can either pop those into a tag editor and fix the embedded metadata so they scan correctly or manually edit the metadata for each extra in Emby to give the file appropriate names there.  For now it isn't using the file names as the name of the extra.

Going forward in the next release, we won't do this for extras anymore.

Spaceboy

Well it was using the file name as the extra name until recently

Edited by Spaceboy

dcook

I think displaying the movie name is best, the file name is really irrelevant if you have your metadata set correctly.

Edited by dcook

Deathsquirrel

I think displaying the movie name is best, the file name is really irrelevant if you have your metadata set correctly.

These generally don't have metadata except what you create by hand.  That's why the file name is actually pretty useful in this case.