Content file "doesn't exist" after iOS Chromecast glitch

ianawilson
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

ianawilson

First of all, since the Chromecast rewrite in the iOS app 1.1.4, it was been awesome—THANK YOU!

But I had something very strange happen today. I was playing an album that I've played many times before (Building an Empire) with Emby. I started playing it on my phone (now version 1.1.6), and I heard the first few seconds come out of the phone before remembering I wanted to hit the Chromecast button. I selected my Chromecast, and the art and song metadata appeared on the TV, but the song didn't play. It appeared stuck in the app, no matter where I scrolled to. Other albums played just fine from my phone via the same Chromecast connection. I quit and tried reinstalling on the phone, but same behavior.

Figuring this was a weird glitch on the phone, I tried it in Chrome on my laptop (no casting this time), and got the same problem: other albums played fine, but Building an Empire did not. I didn't see anything in /var/log/emby-server.log, but I did see this in the Chrome Console:

mediacontroller.js?v=3.0.5931.0:64 LocalAssetManager.fileExists: path: /caduceus/media/music/Demians/Building An Empire/01 The Perfect Symmetry.m4a result: false
htmlmediarenderer.js?v=3.0.5931.0:11 Media element error code: 4

I verified that the file exists with ls:

ls "/caduceus/media/music/Demians/Building An Empire/01 The Perfect Symmetry.m4a" -lah
-rw-r--r-- 1 ian ian 59M Feb 23 22:20 /caduceus/media/music/Demians/Building An Empire/01 The Perfect Symmetry.m4a

I tried restarting the emby-server service (originally 3.0.5931.0, updated to 3.0.5932.0, released just a few hours ago) and rebooting the Ubuntu server (14.04 LTS) it runs on, but it didn't help. I tried moving the folder out of the library, rescanning to see it was gone, moving it back, rescanning again for it to reappear, but same behavior.

I'm not sure what happened, but I heard the music play just before I hit the Chromecast button in the iOS app during playback. After that, only Building an Empire wouldn't play from any client.

Do you have any ideas for fixing or purging whatever metadata is screwing with this? Is there any additional info I can provide for troubleshooting this?

Thanks

Hi, the fileExists issue is not really a problem. It's just the phone checking to see if it can access the path directly. The purpose for that is primarily when playing synced content on the device (feature not exposed yet). 

When you try to play is the server transcoding the audio, and if so, what does the transcoding log look like? 

ianawilson

Ah gotcha.

Although, to be sure I'm clear, it wasn't just the phone that was unable to play the file. After this glitch, no client was able to play it (tried on my iPhone as well as two Mac laptops using Chrome and Firefox).

I tried to pull out a segment of the actual success and failure.

The following server log is the slice of log data from when it went from working to not. You can see an IO error from ffmpeg, and then 500 responses after that.

2016-04-27 server log - turning point.txt

The transcode log from 2016-04-27 is of the last time the transcoding of Building an Empire worked (timestamps correlate with the server log). There are no transcode logs for the failures, just 500 responses in the server logs (which I strangely don't see in the Chrome Network tab).

2016-04-27 15-46 transcode-ac223541-3127-44d3-a8ab-b937e76536d2 - Building an Empire.txt

This album, Building an Empire, is ALAC in an m4a container. No other ALAC albums will play (that artist or other artists), except for one4 ½. I've included the successful transcoding logs for that as well.

2016-04-28 7-34 transcode-38a4a6a0-ca5d-418c-98d9-7544171ddccb - 4 ½.txt

Thoughts?

ianawilson

A couple of videos that I tried transcode just fine, too. And mp3s play just fine directly without transcoding.

I also checked /var/lib/emby-server/transcoding-temp/ to see if there was anything orphaned there that might be screwing with it, but it's empty.

it's direct streaming, so the audio player is rejecting it for whatever reason. not sure why, but it doesn't matter because the audio player is about to get replaced.

Maybe I didn't look closely enough, but i saw one direct play in the server log that had a 500 response, which means either you stopped playing before completion, or the audio player just rejected it for whatever reason. Aside from that the logs all look fine to me so it's probably not worth harping on until you get the app update with the rewritten audio player. The web client is a different story though so if there's a failure there then we can still keep looking at it.

ianawilson

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Most of the failed attempts (and all recent attempts) to play m4a / ALAC files have been with the web player.

This issue started after attempting to play on iOS + Chromecast. Although it worked many times before, this was specifically while changing from playing on the phone to playing on the Chromecast during playback.

Since this, the web player can't play any m4a / ALAC albums except for 4 ½ (the second transcode log). No other m4a / ALAC files have any transcode attempts, but they do have those 500 responses.

ianawilson

The files are too large for the forum, but here is a Dropbox link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ktpnoxbmazfzww/01%20The%20Perfect%20Symmetry.m4a?dl=0

You should be able to view it anonymously and do a direct download. This is the file that I started having the issue with. I started streaming on iOS to the phone, which worked, then switched to a Chromecast during playback, and now the file won't play from any client.

Let me know if you have any issues with the link. Thanks for looking into this!

• Solution

Thanks. It's direct playing when it should be transcoding. It's a server issue and is resolved for the next release.

• Like 1

Thanks, well, maybe 2 releases because we might have a small patch release today or tomorrow that's not going to include this. I want the fix for this to get more time in testing. thanks.

ianawilson

Cool. I'll keep an eye on the github releases page for those, unless there's a better place to watch.

Also, if I can be helpful at all in testing this, esp since I have so many files that won't play currently, let me know. Looking forward to it, either way!