Cheapest Emby compatible device that supports 1080p and HD Audio?

Blue407

Morning All

I'm running Emby on a few Windows PC's at the moment.

One of them is now old and slow and quite noisy, plus takes up lots of space!.

I would like to know whats the cheapest device capable of running Emby client with all the features and has HDMI out that supports 1080p? HD Audio over the HDMI would be nice too.

This is for my bedroom where I have an Onkyo HD 5.1 Amp and projector.

Thanks in advance for help and advice :)

Raspberry Pi 2 running openelec and the emby for kodi addon

And that will support all of my requirements?

Do you know of any guides to setting it up?

I presume you suggest running Kodi with Emby on top? In which case, why not just use Kodi?

Vidman

And that will support all of my requirements?

Do you know of any guides to setting it up?

I presume you suggest running Kodi with Emby on top? In which case, why not just use Kodi?

1.Yes

2. See here : http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Install+openelec+on+raspberry+Pi+2

3. Because I presumed that you had already invested in setting up the emby ecosystem and so would want a solution compatible with that

CBers

Raspberry Pi 2 running openelec and the emby for kodi addon

Or a Raspberry Pi 2 running OSMC and the Emby for Kodi addon.

• Like 1

CBers

... Which amounts to the same

Yes, but there seems to be an issue with slow syncing when running OPENELEC which OSMC doesn't have.

• Like 1

pt1xoom

I have this device.  http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_212002.html.  It says it can do 4k, but I don't have anything that high.  It looks like they are all sold out of the EU and US warehouses, but they have free shipping from China. 

I use the old, original Kodi plugin.  I just prefer it over the new plugin.

This device does not work very well with the Android TV App.  The back button does not work.

If you have a keyboard, the Android App work great.  You can use the mouse on the remote, but it is difficult.

xnappo

I use the old, original Kodi plugin.  I just prefer it over the new plugin.

Not to derail the thread - but that is interesting - I am really surprised it still works!

mguebert

The new ET is supposed to be able to be ported to other platforms, so maybe we will see such a thing. That would be great except for one thing for me anyway. In my Home Theater I am running the Cinema VIsion Addon to provide the theater experience with trivia and trailers , lighting control etc.

So I would be interested in ET for the Pi2 except for the home theater

xnappo

For those interested in Pi, building an image that can run Chrome and MPV would be a good start.

Initially it would likely be external player only - and MPV is a good starting point.

@@Luke - agree?

Edited by xnappo

Vidman

The new ET is supposed to be able to be ported to other platforms, so maybe we will see such a thing. That would be great except for one thing for me anyway. In my Home Theater I am running the Cinema VIsion Addon to provide the theater experience with trivia and trailers , lighting control etc.

So I would be interested in ET for the Pi2 except for the home theater

The dev of cinema vision popped in here once to gauge interest in adding support for emby

e123enitan

Morning All

I'm running Emby on a few Windows PC's at the moment.

One of them is now old and slow and quite noisy, plus takes up lots of space!.

I would like to know whats the cheapest device capable of running Emby client with all the features and has HDMI out that supports 1080p? HD Audio over the HDMI would be nice too.

This is for my bedroom where I have an Onkyo HD 5.1 Amp and projector.

Thanks in advance for help and advice :)

What is your definition  of cheap, what is your budget rage, what of OS are you considering, Openelec, Andrionetc

Well I favored Openelec which is what I have on my Tronsmart S802, I am considering the newest 64bit 4k version you will find more info on this site

http://www.geekbuying.com/Search/?keyword=tronsmart

:)

Koleckai Silvestri

Once I get my Pine64+, I plan on doing a bit of work to see if I can get Emby working on it. That won't be the primary purpose of the device but it will be interesting to play with. It is a little cheaper than the base Pi card but probably around the same cost with all the extras needed. There is already video of Plex running on the Pine64 so it shouldn't be too difficult to get a version of Emby working.

There are a lot of new cards out there that are building beyond the Pi. Some based off its basic model and idea. Others using other ARM System-On-Chip ideas.

pir8radio

Wouldn't a $35 roku HDMI stick be a cheap & easy way to run an emby client, without having to jack with Kodi, buying the pi, a case, and other accessories?  The android, and roku options come with a hardware remote too...    There are a ton of android HDMI sticks on ebay for cheap.  I personally like the roku's, with the exception of the live TV GUIDE, it sucks, and doesn't look/work like the web version, other than that great little device.

LINK TO $35 ROKU STICK

EBAY - Android HDMI

MSattler

Yes, but there seems to be an issue with slow syncing when running OPENELEC which OSMC doesn't have.

Interesting, I've not seen any issues on my J1900 box or my rpi2's.   

One thing to note the rpi2's won't give you TrueHD or DTS-HD, instead it will give you PCM, still HD, but just wanted to point out the technicality since it cannot passthrough those codecs.

Vidman

Wouldn't a $35 roku HDMI stick be a cheap & easy way to run an emby client, without having to jack with Kodi, buying the pi, a case, and other accessories? The android, and roku options come with a hardware remote too... There are a ton of android HDMI sticks on ebay for cheap. I personally like the roku's, with the exception of the live TV GUIDE, it sucks, and doesn't look/work like the web version, other than that great little device.

LINK TO $35 ROKU STICK

EBAY - Android HDMI

Also depends what kind of experience you want... The options you mention are generally not as nice to use
  • Like 1

CBers

Interesting, I've not seen any issues on my J1900 box or my rpi2's.

That was related to running the Emby for Kodi addon.

The Emby for Kodi devs have added options to only request so many items from the server, which seems to have helped.

pir8radio

Those sticks won't do HD Audio.

OP said "HD audio would be nice"   :D    But....  10-4 gotcha... 

So, I guess I have a side question, which emby clients/os's DO support HD Audio?  Obviously Kodi, but please continue with that list.

Edited by pir8radio