Can not access Emby Server from outside of local network

schmitty

schmitty

Hi,

I can not access my server external to my local network. I have read the wiki, but there is no link or any further information about external access. Windows Firewall was automatically configured to allow TCP ports 8096 and 8920.

Sorry, that part of the wiki isn't complete yet.

You will need to configure your router to allow access externally as well (see port mapping instructions for your router).

Then, the easiest way to connect externally would be with Emby Connect.

schmitty

I have assigned a static IP address to the server, restarted the router and added inbound and outbound forwarding to port 8096 and restarted the router... still can't connect via Emby Connect.

Not sure if you are aware but it's not the IP address on your emby server that you need to fix. It's the IP address provided by your ISP and unless that is a static address (you pay extra for this) it will change every time you reboot your router/modem. If you don't have the static IP address from your ISP you will need to sign up for a Dynamic DNS account with one of the providers. I use No-IP. it's free but you need to confirm your continued use of it every month.

The DNS provider will provide you with a static address like <username.ddns.net> to replace your external IP and an app that runs on your server. Every time your external IP address changes, this app automatically advises your DNS provider and they change it in their servers. you just continue to use your DNS name and it just works.

So your external address for Emby would be <username.ddns.net:8096>

Good luck

Edited by jordy
  • Like 1

Vidman

Not sure if you are aware but it's not the IP address on your emby server that you need to fix. It's the IP address provided by your ISP and unless that is a static address (you pay extra for this) it will change every time you reboot your router/modem. If you don't have the static IP address from your ISP you will need to sign up for a Dynamic DNS account with one of the providers. I use No-IP. it's free but you need to confirm your continued use of it every month.

The DNS provider will provide you with a static address like <username.ddns.net> to replace your external IP and an app that runs on your server. Every time your external IP address changes, this app automatically advises your DNS provider and they change it in their servers. you just continue to use your DNS name and it just works.

So your external address for Emby would be <username.ddns.net:8096>

Good luck

None of this is nesassary if you use emby connect. You just need to ensure port 8096 is open and forwarded to the ip address of emby server

So what you have done should be all that is required ( to clarify you need to port forward 8096 to the static ip you set for your server)

Edited by Vidman

no probs hope you get it working. Also in the server management page look under "Expert" / "Advanced"  / "Hosting" and enter your DNS name (username.ddns.net) into the "External WAN Address" field. this will allow Emby connect to work properly.

Vidman

no probs hope you get it working. Also in the server management page look under "Expert" / "Advanced" / "Hosting" and enter your DNS name (username.ddns.net) into the "External WAN Address" field. this will allow Emby connect to work properly.

Again you don't need DDNS to have remote access using emby connect

None of this is nesassary if you use emby connect. You just need to ensure port 8096 is open and forwarded to the ip address of emby server

So what you have done should be all that is required ( to clarify you need to port forward 8096 to the static ip you set for your server)

So how does Emby Connect know what your external IP address is? and what happens when it changes?

schmitty

Yeah, I didn't think you would require DDNS to use Emby Connect. I thought Emby Connect would take care of that. I'll have to check my port forwarding again to make sure I haven't missed anything.

schmitty

Hi ebr,

Why am I still unable to connect even though I have forwarded the ports and confirmed Windows firewall is accepting traffic from that port?

Vidman

if you enter the external ip listed in the server dashboard into your mobile browser with wifi turned off can you access the web client?

diaz1510

I've posted multiple posts on this asking for the same question and no one has been able to get me an answer.  I've done all of the above as well. Done all the port forwarding, etc and still cannot access emby remotely. I've done every setting in my firewall settings as well and still no luck. However, when I enter my external IP address and not my internal IP address, I can access it.  But I don't think this is right.  I should be able to enter my 192.168.1.XX address instead of the 73.XX.XXX.XX.  I've tried both HTTPS and HTTP.  it will work on either with my external IP but none with my internal...

I had it working a few months ago, but then it just stopped after one of the updates and could never get it back. I've pretty much given up on ever getting this feature to work right

Edited by diaz1510

I've posted multiple posts on this asking for the same question and no one has been able to get me an answer.  I've done all of the above as well. Done all the port forwarding, etc and still cannot access emby remotely. I've done every setting in my firewall settings as well and still no luck. However, when I enter my external IP address and not my internal IP address, I can access it.  But I don't think this is right.  I should be able to enter my 192.168.1.XX address instead of the 73.XX.XXX.XX.  I've tried both HTTPS and HTTP.  it will work on either with my external IP but none with my internal...

I had it working a few months ago, but then it just stopped after one of the updates and could never get it back. I've pretty much given up on ever getting this feature to work right

This post makes no sense, sorry. First it says

Done all the port forwarding, etc and still cannot access emby remotely.

Then it says:

I should be able to enter my 192.168.1.XX address instead of the 73.XX.XXX.XX

These statements are completely contradictory because you would never be able to use your 192.168.xx address when you're away from home. There is nothing wrong with the apps or server's ability to communicate. The only thing "wrong", is sometimes a network, or software or router configuration that prevents the traffic from reaching point A to point B. In most users minds this then becomes an "Emby bug". Sometimes the answers to the questions are user-specific and that is why they are not always easy to solve. I would suggest taking a look at our wiki on Connectivity which goes over a number of troubleshooting steps:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Connectivity

Hi ebr,

Why am I still unable to connect even though I have forwarded the ports and confirmed Windows firewall is accepting traffic from that port?

If you go to canyouseeme.org and enter your emby server address/port, does it say it can see it?

diaz1510

This post makes no sense, sorry. First it says

Done all the port forwarding, etc and still cannot access emby remotely.

Then it says:

I should be able to enter my 192.168.1.XX address instead of the 73.XX.XXX.XX

These statements are completely contradictory because you would never be able to use your 192.168.xx address when you're away from home. There is nothing wrong with the apps or server's ability to communicate. The only thing "wrong", is sometimes a network, or software or router configuration that prevents the traffic from reaching point A to point B. In most users minds this then becomes an "Emby bug". Sometimes the answers to the questions are user-specific and that is why they are not always easy to solve. I would suggest taking a look at our wiki on Connectivity which goes over a number of troubleshooting steps:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Connectivity

OK, maybe I didn't articulate myself well enough so I am supplying some screenshots of what I'm talking about.  I'm not ruling out that I'm doing something wrong, I just can't get an answer on what it might be.  I've gone to your wiki plenty of times but it says nothing about external access...

Here is a shot of my router settings, I have tried both settings between Always and Never, but no change:

5660a50722b05_Untitled.jpg

I've also updated the router firmware and done restarts of it...does nothing.

Here are my settings within the Emby Server:

5660a6f63ac9e_Untitled09.jpg

5660a70a3082c_Untitled10.jpg

Here is what I enter after I've successfully signed into my Emby Connect and try to add my server:  I am first using my internal IP address with port 8096

5660a57f5648e_Untitled02.jpg

This is what I get:

5660a5e200c02_Untitled03.jpg

Next, just for due diligence, I try the 8920 secure port:

5660a61979c09_Untitled04.jpg

I try to use my external IP on the secure port 8920:

5660a6af25cab_Untitled07.jpg

And I am denied:

5660a6cc48977_Untitled08.jpg

Next I try to use my external IP with the non-secure port 8096:

5660a66c9fbc1_Untitled05.jpg

And I get in just fine:

5660a68ad7851_Untitled06.jpg

I was under the impression I should be using the internal IP address here because the external IP address can change.

I am also showing what happens when I try to access by directly inputting addresses into the address bar. I get in just fine when using my external IP and the not typing in HTTPS and using the non-secure 8096 port.

5660a788820ce_Untitled11.jpg

And when I try to access remotely by using HTTPS on the 8920 port this is what I get. It just stalls at this screen:

5660a7eb9f1a9_Untitled12.jpg

Is this performing as it should be? Or am I getting in, but creating a security concern? Now I admit again, I may be doing something wrong here, and would just like some clarification on this. The wiki was of no help here BTW

Thanks.

diaz1510

BTW, all these images are from a PC not on my local network. I can access everything fine while on my local network and canyouseeme.org can see those ports as open

Vidman

The report https as external address is probably your issue.

Not all apps are compatible with https yet i believe.

Try un selecting that and saving, then I'm sure emby connect will work

Edited by Vidman

diaz1510

ok, I'll try tyhat when I get home.

But can youtell me HOW it's SUPPOSED to work?

Aren't I supposed to be able to enter my internal IP address when adding my server to my emby connect account once I've logged into emby connect (I'm not talking about typing into the address bar directly, I'm talkng about when I log into emby from emby.media and I get the option to add my server)? Or is it correct to add the server to the account by using the external IP address?  And if so, why am I gaining access on the 8096 port and not the 8920 port?

schmitty

I finally figured it out. I needed to enter my external WAN address in to the server config. With doing this, does this mean each time I reboot my router I will have to enter the new WAN address? If so, that's a bit of a pain

Vidman

No you won't that the point of emby connect, your server should detect your wan address and keep it updated I believe

Anyway how often are you rebooting your router?

Edited by Vidman