Movie Organization

softworkz

Hi everybody,

I am thinking about extending the Auto-Organize-Correction dialog in order to be able to handle movies.

While I have doubts if an automatic organization of movie files would even be possible in a useful way, we could at least offer an easy method to do it manually. My current prototype looks like this:

56053aa13eda9_automovie.jpg

What do you think about the idea? For myself it would be a very useful feature. No more manual copying files and creating folders, and no more need to perform a manual identification in case it doesn't work out automatically...

Regards.

softworkz

• Like 3

Koleckai Silvestri

Not sure what auto organize for movies would do or what real benefit it would provide. I throw all my movies in a folder labeled movies. Don't really need software to do that. If a new movie needs to be moved, just drag and drop.

Don't you need to rename your movie files, first? If not, Emby might not recognize them.

Even if you name them manually, they are not always detected correctly.

And: Manual renaming and moving works with direct access to the file system only.

This feature is meant for those who are using auto-organize for tv episodes which are arriving in a certain watch folder. When movies are targeted to the same folder, you get a convenient method for organizing them just in the same way as the tv files.

So, this is not meant as a brilliant new movie organization feature. It's just an addition to the tv auto-organize feature that let's you handle unrecognized files as movies. Sorry if I didn't make that clear in the first post.

Edited by softworkz
  • Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

I get near 100% movie identification and name them when I create the files. Since I control my system, I have direct access to the File System.

Auto-Organize for television was a failure in my experience. That was using the recommended naming scheme for Emby, which I still use. I had to always tell the system where to manually move the files and it didn't remember which filenames for series went where. I use a tool outside Emby to move my television files with 100% accuracy now.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

This is something similar I'm looking for.

Emby's auto-organization needs to have two more features:

1. If I get or download a full series into the filesystem, Emby should create a new folder in the "Series" folder. (now, auto organizing works okay if I create the main directory for the series first).
  2. Auto-organize should also organize movies. Emby has the metadata of the current video file, so it should be able to move the movie file into the correct folder (right under "Movies/Movie Beautiful Title (2015)/Movie Beautiful Title.mkv)

@@softworkz, are you planning to deploy your modification? Or is it available somewhere as a patch?

Thank you,

danergo

There are two things I have been working on:

1. Added on option to remember auto-organize corrections. This is already completed and I hope they will pull it into  the project. You can find more details here: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/pull/1192

2. Enable manual organization of movies like described in this thread or also here: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/pull/1202. This is not completed yet. First I wanted to get some feeling if this would have chances for inclusion.

I would also see a requirement for

3. Enable addition of a new series from within the auto-organize form. This is technically very similar to 2. and could be implemented together with it.

I hope to get some feedback from the project owners if they would like to have these changes. In case they do, I'm gonna implement it...

Manual organization of movies will be great. And if it creates the directory where copy the movie, better

Creating the directory is part of the plan...

kingy444

Would in my opinion be useful yo name the movie "Movie Name - 720p.mkv" as part of the move

This follows the standard library format for handling multiple copies of the same film at different quality levels. EMBY already has the ability to identify the quality of a video so this could tack on and move a 1080p copy of a film to the same folder as the 720p one

Now all we need is the same folder handling for 3D movies :-)

In fact, this is an important question!

My - very personal - policy has always been to create a folder with correct naming like "Movie (2000)" and move the actual file to this folder while leaving the filename unchanged.

There can be so many different tags in a file name - the resolution is just a single one under many others.

E.g. The.Movie.2.2014.German.DTSHD.5.1.DUBBED.ML.1080p.BluRay.AVC.Remux-Der.Film.mkv

What to keep, what to remove? Any of these tags could provide information you would not want to get lost....

• Like 1

My movie are name like movie (2000)/movie.mkv and emby get all informations : resolution, audio codec, channels....

Maybe it's because a activate frame by frame analyze.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jambercob

I think that this is an excellent idea, perhaps in the future someone could make an auto organization for music as well, that'd help me out a lot!!  ;)

Olywa123

good work softworkz, I'd be happy to see this side of things expanded.

Re the movie organisation, you might take a look at http://www.therenamer.com/ (maybe you already know of it), I'm not in anyway suggesting you replicate everything that this does (probably way overkill), only that it might give you some ideas as to what to try to include.

Personally I used the standard E:/Movies/MovieName (2015)/MovieName (2015).MKV and leave emby to present all the media info.

• 7 months later...
dcook

You can use Filebot to rename your movies/tv, it works great and strips out all the crap from the filenames

Of course there are other tools.

But this is integrated with Emby.

A tool can strip out "crap" from filenames, but this doesn't necessarily result in the correct naming.

When you identify and organize a movie through this method, it get's a name that is (almost) guaranteed to have it identified correctly inside your library. And it performs the copy/move. And it can be controlled from within the Emby UI. Nothing more, nothing less...

dcook

I have 100% success rate with Filebot putting correct name, and by doing this outside of Emby with Filebot I know that 100% of the content in my Emby library is accurate, has the correct folder/name structure and metadata.

Everybody has different requirements and preferences and there are different ways to get it done.

Im glad to hear that you found yours! :)

Guest asrequested

What I would love, is if when the new movie I've just added (either downloaded or recorded) it would simply rename the files and folders without moving anything. I've already placed the file where I want it. I use other software to rename and clean out the folder, but if I could use auto-organize to do this, that would be amazing.

Guest asrequested

The same would be great with TV shows, too. I don't want the files moved. And maybe be able to select multiple watch folders.

Edited by Doofus

The primary purpose of auto-organize is to move (or copy) episode files to the right folder.

The auto-organize folder has to be seen as a work queue for files that need processing. It is not meant to be a final storage location.

If you have other ways to save files to the right places, then you don't need auto-organize. You can use metadata-editor to identify files that are not identified automatically.

• Like 1