Cannot Playback video from JSON command

mellomade

mellomade

I am having a bit of a problem calling the playback of a movie from my library via JSON command from an iOS remote.  My remote program builds a list of movies from the existing library and allows me to initiate playback.  I recently migrated my library to Emby and have run into the following hiccup.  Everything works fine with the exception of initiating playback while the user is on the home screen of Kodi.  When I am on the home screen and try to play a movie from my list I get the following error in the log:

NOTICE: DVDPlayer: Opening: smb://USERNAME:PASSWORD@SERVER/Movies 2/About Time (2013)/About Time.mkv
ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 0, path [plugin://plugin.video.emby/movies/cc63b83b6d22ee6faffb899115d29399/?id=cc63b83b6d22ee6faffb899115d29399&mode=play]

Basically nothing happens but the log sees an error.

When I navigate Kodi to any other space, be it Movies, TV Shows, Settings, any other menu and try to start playback it works and I get the following in the log:

NOTICE: EMBY Player -> onPlayBackStarted: smb://EMBYUser:test@SERVER/Movies 2/About Time (2013)/About Time.mkv

The main thing I noticed is that for some reason my user ID and password for my SMB shares do not get passed.  Also the player is different.

Any ideas?

Angelblue05

A full log would be required in this situation. As for the smb credentials, when it's passed to the player, Kodi blanks it out from your logs, for security measures. (They are the same player, you just grabbed the wrong line).

Check our how to report a problem sticky to properly set your logs. Thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

@ Can you let me know which one was started using the command, in your log? Thanks

mellomade

There should be four start events.  All four were initiated by the same JSON command.  The first was when I was on the home screen, the second when I had gone to the Movies page, the third was back on the home screen and the fourth was run when I had gone to the settings page.

Attempts 1 and 3 did not play (or do anything noticable on screen) and attempts 2 and 4 played back fine.

Another strange side effect of attempts 2 and 4, is that my iOS remote also listens for feedback with regardings to main movie title - and this does not get passed but the movie played back fine.

Edited by jkirk

Angelblue05

@

Haven't forgotten about you, just need more time. Currently reformating my pc.

Anyway, is the ios remote something to install on an iphone to test with it? It almost reminds me when I was setting up the search for the emby webclient remote. The search only worked from inside the kodi library. From home screen, it was unable to find search result...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

mellomade

Thanks - no worries - just thought I would check in to see if I can be of further help.

The iOS app I am using is Roomie Remote.  Unfortunately it is not free ($10 for the app and $16/yr for a subscription to the guide service).  From what I can tell from the feedback in the app when I select play there is a command to clear the playlist - then a second to get the movie id and a third to set the playlist.

If it will be impossible to troubleshoot without the app - let me know and I'll donate the app cost for your time.

Angelblue05

I don't think it will be necessary. But thanks for the offer :)

I just think I'll need even more information. Can you set your logs this way: Emby for Kodi back to Info log and Kodi set to debug. Play one item from within the library where the playback starts fine and play another from the home screen when it doesn't work.

We'll go from there. Thanks!

edit: Maybe what's happening is that when we launch playback from homescreen, it launches differently and that results in an error, even if the playback start correctly (we have no choice, because otherwise we lose resume and artwork overlay for playback). But maybe the app sees the playlist fails and then stops playback?

Edited by Angelblue05

mellomade

Done.  http://www.xbmclogs.com/p8fpm1oil

edit:  it does seem to be something with how the Emby addon handles the Kodi library.  When I uninstall the Emby Addon and add my libraries to Kodi as normal - no scraping just local NFOs - everything works fine.

Another strange part to this - when I start a movie from the iOS app (when it works) - and watch it past the points to mark it as watched - it does mark the movie as watched in Roomie.  However when I start it from the Kodi GUI and watch the same period it does not mark the movie as watched.

There seems to be some communication breakdown on both the feedback end and the transmission end from JSON when using the Emby Addon.

Edited by jkirk
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Ok, well yes it is just as I thought. It is due to way we launch playback when on homescreen. There is a weirdness surrounding widgets and how they function. I have recently tried to resolve the issue for a few days before giving up on it.... It doesn't pick up the resume point correctly and there is no OSD artwork overlay.

For now, you can use Direct paths instead of plugin paths. However you will lose features such as emby parental control for access time, emby cinema experience, strm files. What you will do is go to Emby for Kodi add-on settings > Sync option > Use local path instead of plugin redirection. Ok. Restart Kodi (to make sure the setting saves correctly). Then reset - resync your library via the Emby launch or settings > advanced > reset. Let your library import, let me know if your app works on the homescreen**! :)

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

mellomade

Yup that did it.  I could have sworn I tried using local paths before - maybe they just didn't save.  Mmmm..

Anyways thanks for the effort Angelblue05!  I appreciate it!

• Like 1