Multi-type folders not detecting correctly

oldschool

oldschool

Emby on Win Server 2K8R2

Version 3.0.5621.4

There was a change to the type detection not that long ago that now causes nested folders to be incorrectly detected. I might need to change the folder types to match the new detection system.

A while ago, I requested the ability for Emby/MB to correctly detect folders of movies and TV series in the same parent folder. This is because some TV shows might have a DVD that is a compilation of TV episodes or specials on a DVD. A parent folder of the Office might contain a subfolder of the TV series as well as a DVD of the Office shorts movie, or a kids show like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse might have the TV series in the same parent folder as the numerous Mickey Mouse Clubhouse DVDs they've released.

This used to work perfectly with Emby, but about a month ago, something changed where it now has problems detecting a mixed folder like this. My folder structure looks like this:

TV (top-level folder set to content type Unset (Mixed content))

- Parent Folder (Content type: Inherit)

-- Movie (Content type: inherit)

-- TV Series (Content type: inherit)

--- Season 1

--- Season 2

After refreshing the metadata of the parent folder, it now detects the TV Series as a folder (Emby will create a folder.xml file even though I have a series.xml file in the TV Series folder). It will also then create a series.xml file in each Season folder, and somehow detects each season as a different movie/series. In my Season 3 folder, it created a series.xml file and detected it as TheMovieDb ID 31402 and named the folder The Biggest Winner Arab (season 3).

The only way I can undo this is to move the entire nested TV series folder to the parent level folder level and redetect. This then detects the series correctly as a TV series. Is there any way I can get Emby to return to the old way of detecting nested folders?

We do, the problem is that this is really difficult, and very easy to break  by mistake.  For example, last month a contributor added an improvement to episode parsing that made oue episode number extraction more accurate. this improvement caused a problem with these mixed folders because it sometimes caused a movie to be detected as an episode. so what is the solution, well anytime this happens now we end up keeping the new feature but disabling it in mixed mode. we certainly want to be able to support whatever structure you throw at us, but hopefully that gives you an idea of how difficult it can be sometimes.

oldschool

I know you guys have been VERY accommodating for this type of structure. At least from my experience, Emby was parsing everything just fine inside the mixed mode folder before this latest change. Will this be corrected in a future release, or should I reorganize?

I've been forced to move any TV series out of the mixed use folders for NEW series I've added to the library (it seems to be OK for those that were already detected correctly). The problem is when I get it to detect correctly and trying to move it back into the mixed use folder, Emby decides to override the correct detection.