Can't update

Wheemer

Wheemer

Emby keeps telling me there is an update, yet when I stop the service and install the latest beta download it does not work.

It launches the system tray app when the install is finished. It should see I am using the service option and start that instead.

Either way I am unable to update. Everytime it just stays on the old version and says there is an update again.

Thanks

Steve

techywarrior

The current stable release is newer then the latest beta so download and install the stable release installer from the website (it sounds like you are manually installing using the installer right?)

Wheemer

I downloaded the latest stable and installed it after I had stopped the service.

It is still telling me that I have to manually update... I would like to be running the latest version but at this rate it's seemingly impossible.

The downloads should be labeled by version number, I'm not sure why this is so complicated.

techywarrior

There are two download links on the website. One for the beta and one for the stable release. The current version numbers are listed above them. The installer will download the latest appropriate version automatically so they don't have to build a new installer for each new version of the software.

After you successfully installed the latest stable it's possible that either a new beta version was pushed (if you still have the release level set for beta in the server setting) and now it is letting you know about that. Or it didn't install for some reason.

What version are you on now?

(it's complicated because running as a service has some permission complexities that need to be worked around and those haven't been adequately tackled. Ideally there needs to be a helper service that checks for updates and has elevated permission to stop the actual Emby service, install, then restart Emby)

FrostByte

What it's doing is normal when running as a service.  Unfortunately it's the only way to update

Steps to update when running as a service:

1. Stop service (either thru webclient or the services app)

2. Install update

3. Exit the tray icon

4. Restart the service.

Not sure why it isn't updating though, does it display the new version number on the splash screen when installing?

Wheemer

The beta download button does not say a version at all.

I am currently running Version 3.0.5607.2

With no way to update. Whether I download the beta or release the version stays the same.

FrostByte

Weird, 5607.2 is the latest version for both the beta and stable release.  It shouldn't be saying there is a later version unless you have notifications set to dev

Edited by FrostByte

Wheemer

Yeah I did have it set to dev, but if I can't update to it then what is the point of having that setting?

in general i wouldn't suggest running as a service and using dev builds. i'd pick one or the other. we don't have automated updates for the service, so getting notifications about dev builds almost every day is bound to frustrate

• Like 1