Question: Xml or Nfo or both ?

Dan64

Dan64

I have noted that Emby server has migrated to full compatibility with Kodi. This imply that Emby is able to use Kodi structure, not only ".Nfo" files but also extra fanart/thubms. At home I have a media-center running on Windows and one running on Android/Kodi (more precisely a Xtreamer Prodigy 4K). So the Kodi compatibility for me is a good point. But I'm now wondering if I can migrate totally to a Nfo structure or it is better to mantain also the Xml strucure.

To be honest I'm happy for the compatibility to Kodi, but I'm not happy with the Kodi folder structure, since for me it is not clean. For example if I use the extra-thumbs compatibility the folders are dupilcates. At the end I like the Xml structured and I'm asking why was decided to implement the Kodi compatibility in 2 different ways. I explain better:

If I have a movie that use the Xml structure is generated only a nfo file that contain inside the link to the extra-fanart files, for example:

<art>
    <poster>\\192.168.0.11\Emby\Movies\Films\Azione\Die Hard [boxset]\Die Hard 5 - Un Buon Giorno Per Morire (2013)\folder.jpg</poster>
    <fanart>\\192.168.0.11\Emby\Movies\Films\Azione\Die Hard [boxset]\Die Hard 5 - Un Buon Giorno Per Morire (2013)\backdrop.jpg</fanart>
    <fanart>\\192.168.0.11\Emby\Movies\Films\Azione\Die Hard [boxset]\Die Hard 5 - Un Buon Giorno Per Morire (2013)\backdrop1.jpg</fanart>
    <fanart>\\192.168.0.11\Emby\Movies\Films\Azione\Die Hard [boxset]\Die Hard 5 - Un Buon Giorno Per Morire (2013)\backdrop2.jpg</fanart>
    <fanart>\\192.168.0.11\Emby\Movies\Films\Azione\Die Hard [boxset]\Die Hard 5 - Un Buon Giorno Per Morire (2013)\backdrop3.jpg</fanart>
    <fanart>\\192.168.0.11\Emby\Movies\Films\Azione\Die Hard [boxset]\Die Hard 5 - Un Buon Giorno Per Morire (2013)\backdrop4.jpg</fanart>
    <fanart>\\192.168.0.11\Emby\Movies\Films\Azione\Die Hard [boxset]\Die Hard 5 - Un Buon Giorno Per Morire (2013)\backdrop5.jpg</fanart>
    <fanart>\\192.168.0.11\Emby\Movies\Films\Azione\Die Hard [boxset]\Die Hard 5 - Un Buon Giorno Per Morire (2013)\backdrop6.jpg</fanart>
    <fanart>\\192.168.0.11\Emby\Movies\Films\Azione\Die Hard [boxset]\Die Hard 5 - Un Buon Giorno Per Morire (2013)\backdrop7.jpg</fanart>
    <fanart>\\192.168.0.11\Emby\Movies\Films\Azione\Die Hard [boxset]\Die Hard 5 - Un Buon Giorno Per Morire (2013)\backdrop8.jpg</fanart>
    <fanart>\\192.168.0.11\Emby\Movies\Films\Azione\Die Hard [boxset]\Die Hard 5 - Un Buon Giorno Per Morire (2013)\backdrop9.jpg</fanart>
  </art>

If instead I have a new movie, the file structure generated is different (with extrafanart duplicated in extrathumbs)

<art>
    <poster>\\192.168.0.11\Emby\Movies\Films\Fantascienza\L'uomo che cadde sulla terra (1976)\poster.jpg</poster>
    <fanart>\\192.168.0.11\Emby\Movies\Films\Fantascienza\L'uomo che cadde sulla terra (1976)\fanart.jpg</fanart>
    <fanart>\\192.168.0.11\Emby\Movies\Films\Fantascienza\L'uomo che cadde sulla terra (1976)\extrafanart\fanart1.jpg</fanart>
    <fanart>\\192.168.0.11\Emby\Movies\Films\Fantascienza\L'uomo che cadde sulla terra (1976)\extrafanart\fanart2.jpg</fanart>
    <fanart>\\192.168.0.11\Emby\Movies\Films\Fantascienza\L'uomo che cadde sulla terra (1976)\extrafanart\fanart3.jpg</fanart>
  </art>

Now I'd like to understand the reasons for such different behavior.

In summary it's better maintain only the ".Nfo" (despite the redundancy) or it is better use also the ".Xml". What are the differences in term of implementation ?, they are both 100% compatible with one another ?

Edited by Dan64

Dan64

I have set the option "ImageSavingConvention=Legacy" in the file system.xml.

But it seems that this option is not exposed in the WebGUI, could someone be so kind to explain what is the exactly meaning of this option ?

Edited by Dan64

CBers

Setting it to Legacy, means Emby will create xml files instead of nfo etc.

Deathsquirrel

I use both.  The XML is there out of long habit.  I need the NFO files as one of my clients is a boxee set top box running a variant of XBMC.  I could just switch to the Kodi-compatible files I suppose but no harm having the XML in there that I know of.

Dan64

Actually I made some tests with this setting, and the behavior is exactly what I was looking for. The ".Nfo"  file is still generated but inside use the images in original MB3 format.

For example the ".Nfo" of an episode contain the string:

<art>
  <poster>\\192.168.0.11\Emby\Movies\FilmTV\The Strain\Season 1\metadata\The Strain - s01e12 - Ultimo Desiderio [720p].jpg</poster>
</art>

in this case the thumb image used is the one available in the metadata folder.

While the ".Nfo" of a movie contain the string:

<art>
  <poster>\\192.168.0.11\Emby\Movies\Films\Azione\Die Hard [boxset]\Die Hard 5 - Un Buon Giorno Per Morire (2013)\folder.jpg</poster>
  <fanart>\\192.168.0.11\Emby\Movies\Films\Azione\Die Hard [boxset]\Die Hard 5 - Un Buon Giorno Per Morire (2013)\backdrop.jpg</fanart>
  <fanart>\\192.168.0.11\Emby\Movies\Films\Azione\Die Hard [boxset]\Die Hard 5 - Un Buon Giorno Per Morire (2013)\backdrop1.jpg</fanart>
</art>

In this case the fanarts used are the backdrops in MB3 format.

In this way the generated ".Nfo" files are still compatible with Kodi, and I think it is the best compromise.

Regarding Kodi there are 2 addons that can be usate to integrate Emby:

1) xbmc3 : this addon require customized skins and allow to use all the feature of Emby in particular is able to show the movies using the folder structure that I think it is a MUST when one need to organize a HUGE library.

2) emby : this addon do not require a customized skin, but in this case the movie structure is flattened and is missing the capability to organize the movies using a hierarchical folder structure.

Both the addon allow to use Emby server using only the ".Xml" files and the MB3 image format.

That's the reason why I prefer to use the "Legacy" option for the image saving since all the compatibility issues are managed by these 2 addons.

Edited by Dan64

Koleckai Silvestri

XML is the more elegant solution but I didn't catch the change soon enough and the server polluted the directories with a lot of junk. The problem with .nfo is that the extension already belongs to Windows Info files. Plus the .nfo files used are actually XML files anyway. From a user standpoint, I don't see the purpose of the change or what benefit it brings. The developers haven't explained the change or why it is better.

• Like 1

It has allowed us to attract Kodi users and grow our user base.  It also allows Emby metadata to work out of the box with a large number of other apps that have been designed to work with nfo, like Sonarr for example, which hasn't implemented xml. The overwhelming majority of users either prefer nfo or don't care, so that is why it's the default.

CBers

Would have been nice to see an announcement and how we can keep our Legacy files.

Deathsquirrel

Would have been nice to see an announcement and how we can keep our Legacy files.

I recall it being noted in the release announcement when they switched the default.