Guide : Using Hubic with Emby!

Azor

Hi,

Here is a quick guide on how to use Hubic with Emby !

What is Hubic

logo.png

Hubic is a cloud storage service operated by OVH (#1 European hosting company).

It uses an OpenStack cluster and provides a free 25GO space to anyone on sign-up.

Hubic is actually having a sale on storage, with an offer of 10 Terabyte for 5€ per month (or 50€ per year).

How to use Hubic on my server

Using hubicfuse, you will be able to connect your Hubic share on your Linux server.

1. First, you need to create an application on your Hubic dashboard

2. Acess your acccount on Hubic : https://hubic.com/home/browser/account/ , and then select Developer

3. Create a new application, note that the URL doesn't matter you just have to select an HTTPS url

awXbCfB.png

4. You can then hit "Details", and note the Client ID and Client Secret down, we will need it later.

bsFIlr2.png

5. Access, https://github.com/TurboGit/hubicfuse , and install the needed packages for your distro as explained on the project homage

6. ./configure, and then make to install the binary

7. run ./hubic_token in you current folder to retrieve your refresh_token

8. Create a $HOME/.hubicfuse file, and fill it with those parameters :

client_id=[Hubic client id you got earlier]
client_secret=[Hubic client secret you got earlier]
refresh_token=[The refresh token you got from the script]

9. You can now mount your Hubic space with this following command :

hubicfuse /mnt/hubic -o noauto_cache,sync_read,allow_other

10 (Optional). If you want to have it mounted at startup, you can have it added to the fstab :

hubicfuse /mnt/hubic fuse user,noauto 0 0

Using Hubic with Emby

Now that we have our Hubic space mounted on our server, you can mount your Hubic share as any other media directory.

Here are some things i noted while using Hubic.

• The upload speed seems to be pretty decent, but you have to note I am transferring data's between an OVH server and Hubic, you might however experience some lower transfer speed.SCzTeRE.png
  • The Playing speed is fine, however you might find yourself with a pretty big buffer time compared to reading directly on your local drive (I am on my end waiting ~15s for a video to start, as opposed as ~5sec)
  • The process of creating/renaming/deleting file is most of the time taking a long time, thus I moved every annex file (Banner, metadatas, etc) on the local disk and not on the media's folder

I am still in the process of testing the whole setting, but it looks really promising as 10 tera of data for only 50€/year is quite cheap!

I will try to update this topic with my progression !

Edited by Azor
  • Like 2

nomadturk

When I tried it; it was with Plex though, it had to download ALL the movie to start showing, I'm not counting how many times it crawled and crushed while indexing. I watched it all with vnstat. Meanwhile Emby was having a crush, as usual. Also moving and/or copying one file to another destination on Hubic results with writing all the data all over again, sometimes when you're impatient losing some of it as well.

The infrastructure of Hubic; OpenSwift I presume, doesn't seem to allow us using it more than a backup alternate.

• Like 1

The infrastructure of Hubic; OpenSwift I presume, doesn't seem to allow us using it more than a backup alternate.

Yes, that's an issue.

To be honest I only tried it with relatively small files (200 to 600mo) on an OVH network (25+mo/s).