Jump to content

Default Multiple Version Selection


Recommended Posts

Posted
On 9/19/2026 at 11:48 AM, gregsnell said:

I feel that ultimately the best solution to this issue would be to have seperate "Version" and "Edition" conventions. If my understanding is correct then the existing version system was designed for the same video with different resolutions. IMHO this functionality should entirely invisible to the end user (always use the best quality version that the display can handle).

 

Hi @gregsnell

Even if I really agree with the first part of your sentence (separate Version and Edition), I don't agree at all for the second part (masking the Version to the EndUser).

In my Llibrary I have several versions of the same movie.
Let me explain, and consider the following versions (not editions, which can add items to selection)

 - the 1080p BluRay version with all languages and an average bitrate at around 50Mbps
 - the 1080p vp9 version with only French language (I'm French) at an average bitrate of 2Mbps
 - the 4k x265 Bluray version with several languages
 - the 1080p h264 version with only French at an average bitrate of 10Mbps

If i play  on my phone at home, which versioin will your option select ? IMHO, on my phone the 1080p vp9 at 2Mbps version is enough.
On my TV which is 4k compatible, I'm pleased to play the 4k version
On my home cinema (with a FireTV stick), the 1080p version is OK, but If I launch the BluRay version, playing is not correct even if tagged as supported.
And when I'm outside home, I only (unless rare occasions) play the vp9 2Mbps version. No need to play the 1080p h264 version even if my connection supports it.
 

To me, the best option is to create a priority index for the version you want to play tied to resolution/bitrate/codec with a weight to each version.
By default the version offered is the version with the larger weight or the less weight, but, the final user must have the control on his choice.

 

image.thumb.png.545e385650f17b565d9be03af6c3ea94.png

 

Here's an example of a movie with multiple versions and multiple editions.

Why do I have such a number of versions ?

the bitrate of the client connections, the fact I don't want my server to transcode, and the fact that I recode all my audio tracks to have an EBU-R, ut I want to keep the oroiginal tracks, the fact that the Emby web player does direct play only with the first audio track, the fact that since the "fusionned" version (android - FireTV) of Emby app the FireTV doesn't play anymore he-AAC5.1...
 

an exemple of audio tracks used : 

image.thumb.png.d80e2f77fb96bfc1fd7180d074657e26.png

 

 

My dream : 

In the admin interface, I can set a priority for each version depending if the client is inside or outside the LAN eg
 - inside the LAN the h264 could be the first choice
 - outside it could be the vp9 version

But the client can choose to change this setting, unless the admin doesn't enforce this.

it cloud be a tag in the naming convention such as [v=vp9 web] and for the edition it could be [ed=Director's Cut].

I agree the filenames could be very large such as :
 - the folder : "
Seul sur Mars - (2015) - [tmdbid=286217]"
     - the file : "Seul sur Mars - (2015) - [tmdbid=286217] [ed=extended] [v=h264 30M].mkv

 

Sorry for the novel !

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

I too split movies by version and edition and would ultimately like to choose the combination.
 

My setup is:

 

Possible versions: 4K full disc, 1080p, and some old legacy 720p for mobile

If it’s a good movie with decent sound I will remux it in a separate 4K remux folder but mainly my discs get stripped to something more resembling web-dl/1080p with lossy sound.

By putting the remux in a separate folder but linked to the same library I can limit who sees them as it needs an Nvidia shield and decent internet to play properly, so at my brothers house he has this and I enable it but my parents use tv app, so they just see the standard 1080p folder.

 

Possible editions: director, theatrical etc.

 

 

So, 2 dropdowns would be most elegant, which are contextually aware of each other, so it will only populate the files available.

1) Pick edition first and then 2) it displays available versions associated with that version.


If there’s only one edition and multiple versions it just unlocks the dropdown for versions and if there’s multiple versions, it will keep locked or unlock versions dropdown accordingly - simples 😀

 

Edited by Ockingshay
Posted (edited)

Can’t edit post above but it’s suppose to say:

 

Quote

So, 2 dropdowns would be most elegant, which are contextually aware of each other, so it will only populate the files available.

1) Pick edition first and then 2) it displays available versions associated with that edition


This way as well means that there’s only 1 library and 1 entry of the movie. In plex I had to have separate remux libraries, which got messy, so this way, the user doesn’t even know that there are versions unless they have the correct hardware but can choose an edition if they fancy it - makes it much simpler.

 

having 1 complete movie library, controllable by folder, was a primary reason to move to emby, as it simplified the presentation for users. All they see is a movie section but for more technically savvy users and with the correct hardware, they get access to additional options.

Edited by Ockingshay
Posted

For movies I have in 4K with an audio commentary, I only have the commentary on the 1080p version so I definitely wouldn't want that hidden.

  • Agree 1
Posted

I think versions and how it is working is not great.

I have two source for my media. They are identical files. Primary is my preferred location as it has unlimited bandwidth. Secondary is more restricted, hence it is okay good as a backup in an event where the primary is down.

Let's say for episode one I have I have 'series name - S01E01 - #1 Primary' and ''series name - S01E01 - #2 Secondary' it is randomly showing #1 for one episode and another episode it is showing #2 randomly, no pattern at all.

If you don't allow us to select a default in setting, at least allow us to forcefully identity the default as needed or display the source in alphabetical order.

  • Agree 1
Posted
On 8/31/2026 at 11:37 PM, ebr said:

And that's the problem.  Our current versions aren't for different parts or different editions.  We have logic in each app to choose the version that best plays on the device so using them in they way you are is never really going to work out like you want.

We have in our future plans to introduce the concept of "Editions" which would allow this type of thing.

I think I get the distinction with the different parts. But regarding the editions, the official Emby docs on Movie Naming specifically for Multi-version movies showsimage.png.b8acebdbebb8d9f496103b5275f06236.png

I do not see how this is inline with versions only being for resolution or encoding. Here the example explicitly shows that it is for extended / directors cuts too. Or what am I missing?

  • Thanks 1
Posted
16 hours ago, SortSpion said:

I think I get the distinction with the different parts. But regarding the editions, the official Emby docs on Movie Naming specifically for Multi-version movies showsimage.png.b8acebdbebb8d9f496103b5275f06236.png

I do not see how this is inline with versions only being for resolution or encoding. Here the example explicitly shows that it is for extended / directors cuts too. Or what am I missing?

It will randomly select with no logic that's the problem.

  • Agree 1
Posted
23 hours ago, SortSpion said:

Or what am I missing?

The note right below that:

image.png

  • Disagree 1
bkettering
Posted

+1. i keep a 4K and a 1080p copy of a lot of movies, and being able to set the default per user or per device would save a ton of transcoding on the older tvs in the house

Posted
14 minutes ago, bkettering said:

+1. i keep a 4K and a 1080p copy of a lot of movies, and being able to set the default per user or per device would save a ton of transcoding on the older tvs in the house

Hi.  You should not need any default setting for that.  The system already looks for the version that can direct play.

elpoolet
Posted
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  You should not need any default setting for that.  The system already looks for the version that can direct play.

The system **tries** to look for the version that can DirectPlay.
But there are several isues with this auto selection.
If you have a FireTV Stick (standard), direct play is detected for "hevc 1080p" movies, but playing is awfully tiered.

But you can easily play 1080p h264 or 1080p vp9 videos.

One more issue : in the Emby web client, the selection is rareley the one that can direct play moreover if you're "on the road"...

So, it would be a great plus to have a "default version" selection setted globally, that a uer can override (or not, tied to admin choice), and if this setting can be selected for LAN use and WAN use it would be damn good. A playing priority in the filename tag could do the job.

 

Any thoughts?

 

Posted
1 hour ago, elpoolet said:

Any thoughts?

Just what I've already laid out.  The current feature for versions is for different qualities.  Therefore, it makes no sense to have a "default" because this is chosen each time at playback based on current device and conditions.

You guys all want a new feature that is "Editions" for which, it would make sense to have a default.

elpoolet
Posted
30 minutes ago, ebr said:

Just what I've already laid out.  The current feature for versions is for different qualities.  Therefore, it makes no sense to have a "default" because this is chosen each time at playback based on current device and conditions.

You guys all want a new feature that is "Editions" for which, it would make sense to have a default.

I agree partially.

Do you agree that auto detection can be wrong sometimes? If yes, the "default version" selection I am discussing could be an appropriate answer. Doesn't it ?

And for the second point, the "Editions" feature could be very nice, but, IMHO, this feature have to be separated from the "default version" selection. And no matter for me if the Edition selection does have a default. I'm not smart enough to define if it makes sense.

It seems to me that we're talking about 2 separate features:
- the "Version", bound to quality, biterate, resolution,...
- the "Edition", bound to releases, such as Theatrical Cut, Director's Cut, Extended....

Sorry if I'm not as clear as I expect, sometimes my English goes bad.

Posted
36 minutes ago, elpoolet said:

Do you agree that auto detection can be wrong sometimes? If yes, the "default version" selection I am discussing could be an appropriate answer. Doesn't it ?

Sorry, no, it really doesn't. 

If you are having problems with specific items we should investigate those in a separate thread.

Ockingshay
Posted

Hi ebr, for those discussing editions, do we need our own request thread or is it already on the list?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...