Jump to content

Latest Emby Update - RAM usage creep - Anyone else seen it ? Docker/Linux.


Recommended Posts

vaise
Posted

I have been battling a few out of memory crashes on Emby that are quite new to me.  These have only appeared since the new release.

I am using an Unraid server, and docker container.  This used to be set to 8GB ram, but I increased it to 12gb after another OOM issue, now its sitting on 16GB.

I have added a 5 minute check on the memory - It emails me and writes to a log file once it gets to an amount.  I set that monitor to start alerting at 4GB, then increased to 5GB, then increased to 6GB and so on....  It is slowly rising, after 24 hours, it is now sitting at 6.5GB after growing slowly (and never reducing) from the 1.3 it started with at 5PM yesterday.  I have now set it to 8GB, which prior to this release, it never got to before (I never have a need to check what it was, it has just never OOM's before).

The things I have done - Removed any third party app access, minimised any transcoding (it did that to disk anyway) - the vast majority is direct play, but I have now set some users to not be allowed to transcode (they have old emby clients), turned off subtitles on the fly etc.  I don't have periodic library scans or anything like that.

So now I am just in 'close monitoring' mode, collecting the memory usage, seeing what happens, one screen on the logs, to see if anything jumps out.  It seemed to crash at 7pm-8pm so I would say at higher usage time.  I also put in an automated restart of the embyserver if the admin page times out for any reason - It scans for that every 5 minutes also - That will stop be being harassed by friends and family members like I was the other night, while I was sick in bed.

These are the log messages for the last crash - 

root@Tower:~# grep -i -E "oom-kill|killed process" /var/log/syslog.1
Sep 27 19:37:49 Tower kernel: .NET TP Worker invoked oom-killer: gfp_mask=0xcc0(GFP_KERNEL), order=0, oom_score_adj=0
Sep 27 19:37:49 Tower kernel: oom-kill:constraint=CONSTRAINT_MEMCG,nodemask=(null),cpuset=b97da7bac43b338bf1d841bf5354fc45938e51688c1bf1adb84d74d1cd71ca3e,mems_allowed=0,oom_memcg=/docker/b97da7bac43b338bf1d841bf5354fc45938e51688c1bf1adb84d74d1cd71ca3e,task_memcg=/docker/b97da7bac43b338bf1d841bf5354fc45938e51688c1bf1adb84d74d1cd71ca3e,task=EmbyServer,pid=350997,uid=99
Sep 27 19:37:49 Tower kernel: Memory cgroup out of memory: Killed process 350997 (EmbyServer) total-vm:37996784kB, anon-rss:8054944kB, file-rss:81484kB, shmem-rss:89096kB, UID:99 pgtables:16952kB oom_score_adj:0
root@Tower:~# 

 

 

vaise
Posted

Its pushed past 8GB now - Just 5 sessions of direct lay happening........


[2026-09-29 09:05:03] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 5.442GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 09:10:02] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 5.418GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 09:15:02] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 5.47GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 09:20:02] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 5.452GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 09:25:02] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 5.49GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 09:30:02] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 5.476GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 09:35:02] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 5.495GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 09:40:02] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 5.502GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 09:45:02] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 5.483GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 09:50:02] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 5.557GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 09:55:02] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 5.559GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 10:00:02] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 5.565GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 10:05:02] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 5.569GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 10:10:03] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 5.57GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 10:15:02] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 5.576GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 10:20:02] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 5.576GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 10:25:02] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 5.575GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 10:30:03] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 5.564GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 10:35:02] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 5.645GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 10:40:02] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 5.762GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 10:45:02] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 5.725GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 10:50:03] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 5.706GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 10:55:04] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 5.705GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 17:35:02] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 6.584GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 17:40:02] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 6.601GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 18:50:03] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 7.804GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 18:55:02] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 7.916GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 19:00:02] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 7.916GiB of system RAM.
[2026-09-29 19:05:02] MEMORY WARNING: Emby is currently drawing 8.049GiB of system RAM.
 

Posted

Just a quick update before bed- 

I have seen it go backwards for the first time - its now dropped back to the low 7's.  The monitor is set to alert if it goes over 9 so lets see how it goes later.

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...