Uncle_Frank 17 Posted September 28 Posted September 28 (edited) I have a good sized library and will be going to Linux in a couple weeks I have everything the way I like currently I'm copying over my movies (8TB ) and my tv series (17TB ) I have a cheap Ugreen nas it's a DH2300 I have 2 drives in it each 26TB each set for its own content. One drive is movies other is tv series but I'm not erasing my main drives until I have everything running from a nas 2 drives @26TB each. When I add my nas to my linux build / server will all my covers posters etc load just as I have them on windows 10 or am I looking to redo all the posters over again. Took me a year to get the covers the way I want using a firestick with admin rights to change posters I hope I don't need to redo what took me years Is a new install using linux going to make it rescan all my stuff is what I want to know Edited September 28 by Uncle_Frank
Uncle_Frank 17 Posted September 30 Author Posted September 30 Hope that question was not too difficult for an answer, then again ? who knows with this place. I will just do the wait-n-see what happens game may set my library to not save into folder then after it's all scanned in go back and change it to save might work keeping my pictures. I'm just pumped to get my new pc with AI and Omarchy as my OS and play with agents & AI stuff
Eigeplackter 115 Posted September 30 Posted September 30 If you have enabled saving images next to media files, in library options, all covers will be copied to your nas, if you move everything and not just the *.mkv files. If you don‘t have that enabled, all posters will be lost, as Emby maps the images to a unique id in its assets, the unique id will be newly generated, if you remap the libraries to the new path on your nas. Collection Images will be lost anyways, as those arent saved in the same way. 1
tda0626 1 Posted October 1 Posted October 1 Quote I'm just pumped to get my new pc with AI and Omarchy as my OS and play with agents & AI stuff Awesome, I am thinking of making a jump to Omarchy. I am currently using CachyOS, which is Arch based also. I just think Omarchy is the future and with the funding they got is really going to take off in the near future. 1
marriedman 116 Posted Friday at 01:52 PM Posted Friday at 01:52 PM 18 hours ago, tda0626 said: I just think Omarchy is the future I still don't get what is so impressive about Omarchy. Other than the authors' notoriety there is nothing truly unique about it. It's Arch with Hyprland and AI agent integration and opinionated configuration (dotfiles). If anyone other than DHH had published github.com/randomlinuxguy/my-hyprland-dots , I doubt it would be as big of a deal. Me personally I wouldn't trust an AI agent to make system changes unless very carefully sandboxed. But I get the allure when transitioning away from Windows to Linux and needing help. Workflow on tiling window managers is vastly different than the Windows paradigm. That being said, I am glad it is getting enough attention to attract new users to Linux. And hopefully in time those users come around to making the desktop environment or shell more personalized themselves and truly appreciate the privacy and lack of advertising in their OS. Now, to your post about your library, this is precisely why many people prefer to keep data in their media folders (NFO files, artwork, .actors, ...) instead of the server handling their metadata scraping. If my emby server died tomorrow, I could install it on a new machine, point it at my library, do a scan, and everything would be pretty much how it was before. If you allow the server to re-scrape all data from online sources, you will get that data right OR wrong. It's so incredibly common to have IMDb/TMDB/TVDB with incorrect information or simiarly named actors merged or jumbled. IMDb generally has the most accurate data, but they also disabled scraping from many applications. This whole situation is why I had to make AgentNFO so I could correct my actors and their images. 1
Uncle_Frank 17 Posted Saturday at 10:58 PM Author Posted Saturday at 10:58 PM Installed it today been on it all day you get hooked easy, suck at making videos but whatever Video.mp4
Uncle_Frank 17 Posted Saturday at 11:00 PM Author Posted Saturday at 11:00 PM Working on another video cost like $30 a video hopefully it looks ok when is done
tedfroop21 102 Posted 50 minutes ago Posted 50 minutes ago (edited) On 28/09/2026 at 17:17, Uncle_Frank said: Is a new install using linux going to make it rescan all my stuff is what I want to know The problem is your Library Locations. In Windows these are described as either NTFS folder locations or as network locations or mapped drives. What I would do is prepare your linux machine. Instead of network locations or mapped drives you use mount statements in /etc/fstab, combined with a folder in either /mnt or /media folder. A mount statement for an NFS mount would be something like: 100.100.1.100:/volume1/Videos /media/Videos nfs rw,sync, 0 0 That would connect the videos directory of my nas to the mount point /media/Videos. Then pointing Emby at that /media/Videos points Emby to my files in that location. That said, if you set up your Linux, make your mount points, configure your fstab to connect your files to those mount points, and set the permissions for the mount points and files so Emby can see and read them, you SHOULD be able to add the mount points manually to each library, backup and restore and in theory you should just carry on. The most important parts are, - mount points set. - permissions set properly so emby can see and read files. - new and old file locations in Emby. Then, when it all works: - when it all works remove the old library locations. I myself would create a test library with a few files. Mount it, get the permissions right and set everything else the same with the same permissions so it works, then do the restore. Edited 48 minutes ago by tedfroop21
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now