Jump to content

Dedicated Spotlight Image Type for homepage


Recommended Posts

Smitty018210
Posted (edited)

I’d like to request a dedicated image type for the new Spotlight section on the Emby home page.

At the moment, Spotlight uses the existing fanart/background image for an item. In many cases that works, but the best image for a normal background is not necessarily the best image for a large Spotlight banner.

It would be useful if Emby supported a separate Spotlight image, for example:

spotlight.jpg
spotlight.png

If a Spotlight image exists, Emby would use it for that item in the Spotlight section. If one does not exist, Emby could simply fall back to the current fanart/background image.

This would allow users to choose a different image that they feel is better suited for how the item appears in Spotlight, while leaving the existing background artwork unchanged.

Mock Up Below: 


1.png.a2c26883fe2a51f809edbc940590bd42.png.0df9c4e041439f471556577c4c585adb.png

Emby's backend services would send request to image providers for background/fanart images.

2.png.1d01374b281395d9a0ce7dca5bb3d01f.png.f9944cb5878b5886d97f90beb998a0de.png
3.png.8cc0e1069c1e2cf68a9c7faf99a9e0e8.png.c1d1686a9adedc71a33a53f71e5eaef2.png

Edited by Smitty018210
  • Like 6
  • Agree 6
Smitty018210
Posted

Thanks for, likes and agreeing with me, but need a few comments every now and again so this doesn't fall of front page of feature request.
Let devs know why you would want this.  

yocker
Posted
41 minutes ago, Smitty018210 said:

Thanks for, likes and agreeing with me, but need a few comments every now and again so this doesn't fall of front page of feature request.
Let devs know why you would want this.  

Here's your comment. ;) 

Would make it possible for me to easy add an option to EmbyIcons to add icons to spotlight images.

  • Like 2
howllor
Posted
1 hour ago, Smitty018210 said:

Thanks for, likes and agreeing with me, but need a few comments every now and again so this doesn't fall of front page of feature request.
Let devs know why you would want this.  

It is reactions/likes they go by when looking for what is highly requested though, at least that's what they say

  • Like 1
Posted
On 9/29/2026 at 9:10 PM, howllor said:

It is reactions/likes they go by when looking for what is highly requested though, at least that's what they say

True. But most users don't do the same. So reactions are only ever awarded to the posts that are active enough to remain on the front page of feature requests. At least in my experience.

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

I really like this idea of a "spotlight.jpg" file. I assume the banner is using "fanart.jpg".  When the featured first released, I tried putting a "spotlight.jpg" image in the video folder, but of course didn't work.  I struggled at first to figure out how to use the feature.

I like using my own custom images for spotlight.  See sample below.  But I am unsure of the size the image needs to be to display correctly as a spotlight banner. I searched the forums, and didn't see any image specs or requirements for optimal display.

If you know the image specs, please let me know... I currently removed all spotlight tags, most of the default fanart.jpg images don't really display well... to many size variations.

Sample of what I am working on for the spotlight banner image template, but I can't seem to get the size right....

The blank area in the bottom left corner is where Emby puts the movie logo, text information.

image.thumb.jpeg.88296d4903b4fbbeae9754f9ff5ed674.jpeg

 

Before the spotlight feature, I had my own folder for spotlight movies, and made custom images to display them (replacing, temporarily, the folder image.  This was cut into 5 pieces of equal size, one for each movie.... made a nice banner across the top.

Sample:

image.thumb.jpeg.e65265583de4d61ccb3c744848dd495c.jpeg

 

In closing, my VOTE is for a "spotlight.jpg" image option as noted in the first post.  :)

Edited by DMazer

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...