HanSolo 27 Posted September 20 Posted September 20 (edited) Hi, I've upgraded from 4.9.5.0 --> 4.10.0.40, yesterday, 9/19. I have (had?) lots of custom parental ratings on my music collection, these all appear to have been wiped out during the upgrade. I noted because I use parental ratings artist, album and song level to allow one of my users to enjoy music. After the upgrade the user could no longer see ANY music, so I checked the parental ratings at the album and song level and they were gone. The artist level ratings were intact for some reason (ratings at this level don't seem to do anything). The user in question has "Block items with no or unrecognized rating information" enabled for all libraries. I'm running Debian 13 (trixie) with all the latest patches. I have all my libraries mounted via read only NFS shares (I didn't want the media to be inadvertently deleted by the users). I also have backups going back 10 days, so I have a database backup from 9/19 before the upgrade. It's quite a bit of work to put these ratings back since there are no really good ways (that I'm aware of) to multi select tracks or albums and edits the parental rating. Two questions, 1) Is it possible to restore this information from the backup I have? 2) Is there a way to avoid this loss in future upgrades? Thanks in advance, HS Edited September 20 by HanSolo
Luke 43254 Posted September 21 Posted September 21 HI, that's surprising. Was there a lot of scanning activity following the update?
HanSolo 27 Posted September 21 Author Posted September 21 (edited) Here is the command I used to upgrade sudo dpkg -i emby-server-deb_4.10.0.40_amd64.deb I checked Emby with the admin account and didn't see any media, then I rebooted, still didn't see any media. Then I checked my mount points and everything was fine, so I started a rescan. The rescan took a couple hours at least before anything showed up my libraries. Next, I checked my playlist, none of them were populated even for users who don't have restrictions. I refreshed metadata on each playlist and that seemed to fix the issue for the unrestricted users. At this point my restricted users were not seeing any library files or having anything populate for their playlists and at this point I realized the permissions were gone. Once I changed the permissions the media files started showing back up in the correct playlists and library for the restricted users. The Albums section is still blank but that's a separate and ongoing issue. I'm assuming there was a lot of disk activity, but I didn't notice it perse, the media is hosted on a NAS so I don't necessarily notice high disk activity. Let me know what you think. HS Edited September 21 by HanSolo
HanSolo 27 Posted September 27 Author Posted September 27 Just wanted to check back on this. What this the correct way to upgrade? Thanks, HS
sa2000 840 Posted 43 minutes ago Posted 43 minutes ago On 28/09/2026 at 00:13, HanSolo said: Just wanted to check back on this. What this the correct way to upgrade? What you did was the correct way to upgrade from 4.9.5.0 to 4.10.x On 21/09/2026 at 20:59, HanSolo said: sudo dpkg -i emby-server-deb_4.10.0.40_amd64.deb On 20/09/2026 at 23:46, HanSolo said: I have (had?) lots of custom parental ratings on my music collection, these all appear to have been wiped out during the upgrade. I noted because I use parental ratings artist, album and song level to allow one of my users to enjoy music. After the upgrade the user could no longer see ANY music, so I checked the parental ratings at the album and song level and they were gone. The artist level ratings were intact for some reason (ratings at this level don't seem to do anything). The user in question has "Block items with no or unrecognized rating information" enabled for all libraries. How exactly did you have the parental controls ? What did you set and where ? On 21/09/2026 at 20:59, HanSolo said: I checked Emby with the admin account and didn't see any media, then I rebooted, still didn't see any media. Then I checked my mount points and everything was fine, so I started a rescan. The rescan took a couple hours at least before anything showed up my libraries It is possible that this led to the problem. Would need the emby server logs covering this time to see why there was no media for your admin account. It is possible that the removal of the media and the start if the fresh scan led to losing the settings On 20/09/2026 at 23:46, HanSolo said: 1) Is it possible to restore this information from the backup I have? You cannpt specifically pick elements from a backup - except for watched status. See Backup and Restore Emby Server for info on backups
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now