Jump to content

NVIDIA Shield screensaver appears while paused, then playback resumes behind it


Recommended Posts

Posted
43 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

I just tested .59 and it's still crashing using the same steps.

Weird.  My steps...

1) Start watching "Friends" for like 2 mins. (1080P)
2) Pause via center button.  (run a stop watch)
3) At 5 mins, the screensaver kicks in and it stays paused.
4) Click the center and the paused screen comes back up.
5) Press again and it continues playback.

(Same steps I did for .58 where it did play in the background when the screensaver came on.)

Nvidia Shield Pro

JoshuaAJones
Posted

I used to use the other app on my Shield but switched to Emby for Android, when the pop-ups started. 

I liked the old app. When screensaver started, Emby stopped the video and backed up 10 seconds, as that's how I had it set. Worked perfectly.

How do I get it to do that?

Posted
16 minutes ago, JoshuaAJones said:

I used to use the other app on my Shield but switched to Emby for Android, when the pop-ups started. 

I liked the old app. When screensaver started, Emby stopped the video and backed up 10 seconds, as that's how I had it set. Worked perfectly.

How do I get it to do that?

Sorry to say currently you don't.  I am also missing a few things from the "Emby for Android for TV" version that this version does not have.  But this is the version they are developing now and are no longer developing "Emby for Android TV".  I only switched as the TRAILERS do not work in Emby for Android TV and that is when I found out they were no longer working on that version and thus the items I liked are not in this.  :(

FrostByte
Posted
Just now, dbott said:

Weird.  My steps...

 

Nvidia Shield Pro

Yep, same steps.  I've tried 1080p, 4K, clearing the screen saver using the center button, up button, etc and every time after clicking on the round button I get a black screen and then I see the Emby logo and the spinning circle and then I'm back at the home page.  Shield 2019 pro.

 

JoshuaAJones
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, dbott said:

Sorry to say currently you don't.  I am also missing a few things from the "Emby for Android for TV" version that this version does not have.  But this is the version they are developing now and are no longer developing "Emby for Android TV".  I only switched as the TRAILERS do not work in Emby for Android TV and that is when I found out they were no longer working on that version and thus the items I liked are not in this.  :(

Still... wouldn't this be the easiest solution to the problem?

Screensaver start = Stop video

If I've walked away for 5 minutes, it's OK to stop it. I can hit Resume, when I get back.

Edited by JoshuaAJones
Posted
51 minutes ago, JoshuaAJones said:

Still... wouldn't this be the easiest solution to the problem?

Screensaver start = Stop video

If I've walked away for 5 minutes, it's OK to stop it. I can hit Resume, when I get back.

Yeah, sure. However sometimes you pause to go do something quickly, only for it to not be so quickly and it starts to play in the background. :) It still is a bug that should be resolved. :)  (I also do miss the rewind like 5 to 10 seconds on restart.) 

I have told Luke about a few other things I would love to have back in this version...So far, still waiting. ;)

JoshuaAJones
Posted
8 minutes ago, dbott said:

I also do miss the rewind like 5 to 10 seconds on restart.

That feature is still active under personal Preferences/Playback.

Currently, I just turned Screensaver off.

I have the Shield turn off after 20 minutes with Energy Saver.

When I turn everything back on, Emby is still paused in the same spot.

Posted
26 minutes ago, JoshuaAJones said:

That feature is still active under personal Preferences/Playback.

Currently, I just turned Screensaver off.

I have the Shield turn off after 20 minutes with Energy Saver.

When I turn everything back on, Emby is still paused in the same spot.

Thank you for that.  Also, interesting thought on having the Shield turn off with Energy Saver.  But in my case, it would shut down the entire theater with automation. (Receiver off, projector off, open blinds, turn on lights.)  Though I do have that happening after 30 mins just in case. :) 

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Hi, can you please try 3.5.64+ and let us know how that compares?

Thanks !

Lessaj
Posted

With my first test of 3.5.64 I still saw in the app log playerFailed, and when exiting the screensaver I saw the backdrop but no video. I hit a button and I could see the video controls, but no actual video player was present. I tried to RW/FF and nothing happened (nothing in the log either). Trying to go to chapters the section was blank (showed nothing at all) with this message in the log.

Quote

Fri Oct 02 18:20:51.296 GMT-04:00 2026 file:///android_asset/www/modules/common/playback/playbackmanager.js: Line 1 : Uncaught Error: player cannot be null

I backed out of the video and tried to resume, it did resume and I noticed the log was being spammed with this error:

Quote

Fri Oct 02 18:24:30.360 GMT-04:00 2026 file:///android_asset/www/modules/emby-apiclient/events.js: Line 1 : Error during callback execution for event 'timeupdate': TypeError: Cannot read properties of null (reading 'currentItem')

This time when the screensaver kicked in the player did not die and came back after the screensaver ended. I backed out of the video and resumed again to see if that error would stop but was still seeing the same timeupdate error above. Didn't seem to interfere but odd that it was still coming even after starting a video again. While I waited for the screensaver to kick in I found an adb command to trigger the screensaver so I don't need to wait anymore.

Quote

adb shell am start -n com.android.systemui/.Somnambulator

I exited the app to see if it would clear the timeupdate error and it did. Through further attempts at triggering the screensaver at one point the app restarted when resuming from the screensaver but based on logcat it was already dead and scheduled to restart when the scrensaver ended. Only happened one time so far. I continued to enter and exit the screensaver and didn't really run into a problem.

Overall this seems to be improved, I haven't been able to reproduce the first thing that happened with the video player dying and just the controls remaining, and so far didn't have any playback resume shortly after the screensaver but will need some more time to test under more natural conditions. I am not sure if there would really be any difference between waiting for it or triggering it manually. I won't be able to test much more as I'll be traveling, hopefully others can test too.

  • Thanks 1
Posted

Emby Server 4.9.5.0
Nvidia Shield Pro
Emby Android Ver 3.5.64

1) Start watching "Friends" for like 2 mins. (1080P)
2) Pause via center button.  (run a stopwatch)
3) At 5 mins, the screensaver kicks in and it stays paused.
4) Left it on Screensaver for 3 min.
5) Clicked the center and the paused video screen comes back up.
6) Press again and it continues playback as expected.

So it like the last ver, it is working for me.

  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...