Jump to content

Emby Homepage "Spotlight Widget" Proof of Concept


Recommended Posts

yocker
Posted
3 minutes ago, sh0rty said:

Also works with 4.10.0.40, in case someone else is as disappointed from the built in Focus widget like me.

I haven't checked but, the one just added to Emby sadly looks like it just uses the background picture for videos.
If it used it's own i could get EmbyIcons to edit it rather easy but using the background one makes it so it would drawn on that as well. :( 

Still like the feature. :) 

sh0rty
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, yocker said:

I haven't checked but, the one just added to Emby sadly looks like it just uses the background picture for videos.
If it used it's own i could get EmbyIcons to edit it rather easy but using the background one makes it so it would drawn on that as well. :( 

Still like the feature. :) 

I keep the code on GH quite actual with the stable server releases when I have time. I've seen so much cool plugin implementations including altering system files via plugin. But atm I've absolutely no time to dive into this rabbit hole due to work and family. 

Long story short, I would love to see my Spotlight script integrated into some kind of plugin solution so no one needs to edit index.html and insert the js file manually. So if you and/or @ginjaninja @Blueskies278would make this possible anytime, you would be more than welcome.

Edited by sh0rty
  • Like 1
yocker
Posted
1 minute ago, sh0rty said:

I keep the code on GH quite actual with the stable server releases when I have time. I've seen so much cool plugin implementations including altering system files via plugin. But atm I've absolutely no time to dive into this rabbit hole due to work and family. 

Long story short, I would love to see my Spotlight script integrated into some kind of plugin solution so no one needs to edit index.html and insert the js file manually. So if you and/or @ginjaninja @Blueskies278would make this possible anytime, you would be more than welcome.

I believe we talked about this before and i edited a plugin of mine to actually do that and even change settings for the spotlight.
Will see if i can find the code somewhere (no promises).

  • Like 1
sh0rty
Posted
3 minutes ago, yocker said:

I believe we talked about this before and i edited a plugin of mine to actually do that and even change settings for the spotlight.
Will see if i can find the code somewhere (no promises).

It's in our PMs.

yocker
Posted
4 minutes ago, sh0rty said:

It's in our PMs.

I made some changes to it after that that i would like to keep and never handed over.
But nice to know, if i don't find it then the one in the PM can be used as backup.

  • Like 1
sh0rty
Posted
Just now, yocker said:

I made some changes to it after that that i would like to keep and never handed over.
But nice to know, if i don't find it then the one in the PM can be used as backup.

Feel free, you specially can take any code that you want if you'd like to release something like this as plugin.

  • Like 1
yocker
Posted
5 minutes ago, sh0rty said:

Feel free, you specially can take any code that you want if you'd like to release something like this as plugin.

Your spotlight feature is awesome but tbh. i don't really want to maintain another plugin as i have a lot on my hands already.
I will look into getting this to work again in case it doesn't any more but after that it's low priority (sorry!!).

  • Like 2
sh0rty
Posted
10 minutes ago, yocker said:

Your spotlight feature is awesome but tbh. i don't really want to maintain another plugin as i have a lot on my hands already.
I will look into getting this to work again in case it doesn't any more but after that it's low priority (sorry!!).

All good!

yocker
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sh0rty said:

All good!

Can you send me the code if you have it in a PM?
The download is not working after i foolishly tried to clean my Emby messages and i can't seem to find it on my computer.
It's there some where on my computer but it's a mess and i simply can't remember where.

Btw. have you seen this:


Maybe it's worth waiting a little.

Edited by yocker
sh0rty
Posted
6 hours ago, yocker said:

Can you send me the code if you have it in a PM?
The download is not working after i foolishly tried to clean my Emby messages and i can't seem to find it on my computer.
It's there some where on my computer but it's a mess and i simply can't remember where.

Btw. have you seen this:


Maybe it's worth waiting a little.

Oh my, it's also unavailable in my PM. 

Thanks for the link, in fact I did not see this until now... 

  • 3 weeks later...
sh0rty
Posted (edited)

Let's test this out before I post it to GH and/or Plugin Thread.

Important: Just use this plugin currently when you use Spotlight as Top Item on Homescreen, this is not tested with Spotlight not set as first item on Homescreen and will for sure look malfomatted for now

Important 2: This still just works in Webclient, but perhaps it gives the Team some ideas for future Spotlight Upates

  • Builds now on top of the Default Emby Spotlight
  • Built on top of stable 4.10.1.0 (it will not work in 4.10.0.40 or lower versions due to Spotlight changes)
  • No custom js pasting. Just put the the dll in plugin folder -> Plugin backs up index.html and extracts the native-spotlight-custom.js + sets the script src entry in index.html and respects already present files on server restart. Beware: This is just tested on Windows Server -> Please do a manual backup of index.html if using another server OS.
  • Settings in plugin page should be self-explanatory -> Please do Full Reload of the Emby Homepage with F5 after changing visual settings in Plugin page
  • Awards are removed from the Spotlight for now since the loading time via Wikidata SPARQL API is slow as hell
  • Default Emby Play Button, Removed Settings button since right click on Spotlight opens them anyways, added buttons for Item Autoslide Disable, Trailer Autoplay Disable, Trailer Pause, Trailer Mute -> settings stored in browser cache

image.png.0c6ee09a94be7c56e9de43f3ac4c24ae.png 

image.png.35859efbbe6b47be83ab96a9a57cbed0.png

image.thumb.png.ebab25ac28b9fab1c3916dc6fa28d6ad.png

Emby.SpotlightWebMod.dll

Edited by sh0rty
sh0rty
Posted (edited)

Readded Awards. But now just Oscar and Emmy wins from OMDB instead of unreliably, slow and throttled Wikidata API. Total wins and nominations are shown when hovering over the award section.

Just replace the dll in plugin folder and restart server.

Note: Just tested with Chromium based browsers. FF may be a bit misaligned.

image.thumb.png.ac93f5e643caee231cd88c8baa610f0e.png

Emby.SpotlightWebMod.dll

Edited by sh0rty
Uncle_Frank
Posted (edited)
On 10/5/2025 at 10:57 AM, sh0rty said:

First and foremost:
1. This is heavily vibe-coded with the help of Claude Sonnet 4.5 and just a proof of concept (though it's fully functional on my side)!
2. Tested with stable Server 4.9.1.80 on a 1080p-Screen
3. Pretty sure that the code is not the best and shpuld be reviewed by anyone with good js-Skills.
4. This Banner just works on the Web Client.


I hope one of the experienced devs here can make more out of it, e.g. a Plugin. Perhaps something like that can be incorporated as a menu option by Emby itself in the future.

What the Spotlight does:
On every Homepage load the Spotlight takes 10 items (Movies/TV Shows) from 50 latest Releases in the library and displays them as a slideshow. Banner is clickable to get to the item detail screen. Ratings are also included.

Download from:

https://github.com/v1rusnl/EmbySpotlight

 

 

 

I really like the animated look of this, kodi does this, I'm going to make a coffee & read through this thread.

Edited by Uncle_Frank
  • Like 1
Uncle_Frank
Posted
On 2/10/2026 at 8:58 AM, sh0rty said:

New version in GH.
- RT Verifiied Hot badge is now validated via CORS proxy (when enabled)
- Added Oscar wins and nominations via Wikidata SPARQL API.

image.thumb.png.5c88311fdaf353f1647883e83e1c01b0.png

 

The more I tinker with it, the more I'm asking myself why lots of things aren't already present in Emby @GrimReaper. 80% of the widget content is via API calls,  except two RT badge verifications and Allociné.

I like how you have all the badges it looks pro 

Uncle_Frank
Posted
On 9/7/2026 at 1:24 PM, SoliFlix said:

I know the official Spotlight is coming soon... but yours is already awesome.

Since I didn't understand almost any of the possibilities – and didn't really feel like delving into it – I asked claude to create a simple visual version for me using drag and drop.

You can see the result in the video. The html-file can be downloaded below. The html preview isn't a perfect match, but it gives a visual glimpse of how it will look in Emby. Trailers not working in the html - but if activated they show up in Emby. I also added some more effects. It's far from perfect, but it's fun to play with. 

 

EmbySpotlight-Editor.html 413.2 kB · 5 downloads

Bro, bro this is soo sick I wanted my emby like this for YEARS with the trailers on home screen 😮  also shorty I can't believe I never seen this thread before this looks spot on with my style of thinking a media server should look like, Brilliant !  SoliFlix is sure good with the AI this is next level 

  • Like 2
sh0rty
Posted
1 minute ago, Uncle_Frank said:

Bro, bro this is soo sick I wanted my emby like this for YEARS with the trailers on home screen 😮  also shorty I can't believe I never seen this thread before this looks spot on with my style of thinking a media server should look like, Brilliant !  SoliFlix is sure good with the AI this is next level 

If your'e on latest stable you can try out the Plugin dll. Settings in Emby UI, the Plugin does the rest.
 

 

  • Like 1
Uncle_Frank
Posted

I will be setting up a mini pc for just this today I have a few not being used this looks so much better than on Firestick even if it is a web based setup on pc. I will be checking your github out.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...